Just another newbie ^_^

Drop a line here to introduce yourself! Let us know your background, where you're from in the world, your lucid goals.
Lyra

Just another newbie ^_^

Postby Lyra » 07 Jan 2017 22:56

Hello, Lyra here! :) I'm new to the site, although not so new to lucid dreaming (LD). I do not consider myself a master of the latter, however; I am very much a beginner despite my experiences.

I had my first lucid dream as a child aged 5 or 6, and I credit this ability to a genuine struggle distinguishing dreams from real life. As a result, I would habitually wonder or outright ask family members (much to their annoyance I'm sure :lol: ) whether or not I was dreaming in that particular moment. This pattern of questioning would eventually appear in my dreams, providing opportunity for lucidity. I didn't know about LDs at the time and I don't recall ever taking full advantage of these lucid moments. For example, I once avoided an angry lion in a nightmare after concluding that I must be dreaming but I could have done something so much cooler like fly away into the stars or even befriend the lion. I didn't realize my potential!

Eventually, I grew out of this dream-confusion phase and either the LDs stopped or I stopped remembering them. When I was a little older (13 or 14?) I became obsessed with dreams again - although by this time, I understood the difference between dreams and reality and was more concerned with dream interpretation. I found it intriguing to figure out what emotions or events from waking life inspired elements of the dream, and used a dream dictionary to try and decode the other less obvious aspects. I phased in and out of my dream obsession, and I think I was around age 17 when I came across the subject of 'lucid dreaming' on the internet; it was then that I recalled those instances from childhood. I was excited to learn that there was a name for what I had experienced back then, and I became infatuated with the idea of controlling my dreams. Around this time, life became very busy and stressful which made it difficult to devote time/energy to my LD efforts. I may have had one or two LDs prior to this stressful/busy period, and that small achievement required much discipline. After that, I went through many periods of dedicating the time/energy and then quitting cold turkey. I had and have a terrible tendency (in general) to obsess, burn-out, obsess, burn-out. There was some success during the obsessive phases but the long burn-out periods hindered my progress. It was always right back to square one.

Life didn't get any easier as time went on. School, work, health issues, and family drama continued to take their toll. At some point, I realized that I needed to somehow MAKE time for this escape while still ensuring balance. I knew from past experience that indulging in this activity would help produce the energy needed to keep focused and sane in other areas of my life (i.e. all work and no play drives Lyra mad!) However, getting obsessive only guarantees an eventual burn-out, as I had also learned.

As you can see, I've been captivated by dreams for most of my life. Clearly this fascination is not going anywhere any time soon ... so, here I am again! :P For the sake of different and improved results, I intend to break away from the obsession/burn-out cycle. My goal now is balance and consistency. My hope is that being part of this community will facilitate this endeavor by helping me to stay inspired, encouraged, accountable, and ultimately on the right track.

*looks up* Whew, sorry for such a lengthy intro! :oops: Anywho, I really look forward to acquainting myself with the forum, its members, and the journey ahead!

- Lyra
"All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better."
— Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sean Jacobs

Re: Just another newbie ^_^

Postby Sean Jacobs » 10 Jan 2017 16:28

Welcome Lyra. :D

I wish you the greatest success with you Lucid Dreaming pursuits.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 11 Jan 2017 01:35

Welcome to the forum.

To me, lucid dreaming is just a general way of life, and it comes and goes. I don't burn out because I don't devote much effort into it. I'm a fellow natural lucid dreamer myself, but it didn't really take off until later in life when I was in my early 30's. In some of my older journals I found from when I was about 24, I read one that said, "And then I knew I was dreaming." I never knew the term, 'lucid dreaming' at the time either, and judging by how nonchalant about it I was, it was definitely not my first. I remember a vivid one when I was 30 in which I was walking around my house, and it was so real, I thought I must have been sleepwalking. I knew I was dreaming though, or at least hallucinating, because I saw my cat who had already died. I still remember the fur feeling so real when I pet it. Then I decided to leave myself a note to find after I wake up to verify I was sleep walking. I wrote on a piece of paper, "I am conscious dreaming." (There was no paper to find after I woke up.)

I never knew the term 'lucid dreaming' either, but had been doing it for years, off and on, and it just felt natural and learned it intuitively.

I don't know how many lucid dreams I've had because I never had much of a dream journal in the past. I just had some in a notebook from 2004 and 2007. Now that I think about it, perhaps I do burn out sometimes. When it comes to dream journals I get really excited and record dreams for a while, but then it becomes too much work, and I give up on them. My new year's resolution was actually to stop recording all my dreams. I have too many, so I'll only record the ones that have left a big impact on me that I don't want to forget. Otherwise it's all work, and no play, which makes Hagart a dull boy, too. ;)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Lyra

Postby Lyra » 11 Jan 2017 18:24

Sean Jacobs wrote:Welcome Lyra. :D

I wish you the greatest success with you Lucid Dreaming pursuits.

Thank you, Sean! :mrgreen:

HAGART wrote:Welcome to the forum.

To me, lucid dreaming is just a general way of life, and it comes and goes. I don't burn out because I don't devote much effort into it. I'm a fellow natural lucid dreamer myself, but it didn't really take off until later in life when I was in my early 30's.

Thanks for the welcome, HAGART!

I think what you say here is key. While keeping in mind that a little more effort may be required since it is not quite as natural for me as it once was, devoting too much effort would not only cause burn-out but may also be counterproductive. I find that whenever I try too hard at something I am more likely to lock-up and fail.

Then I decided to leave myself a note to find after I wake up to verify I was sleep walking. I wrote on a piece of paper, "I am conscious dreaming." (There was no paper to find after I woke up.)

That is interesting that you thought to leave yourself a note; that you were so genuinely conflicted yet still able to maintain lucidity. My struggle is that I have to be very sure I'm dreaming to maintain a lucid state. If there's any shred of doubt, I lose it instantly. I tend to doubt myself a lot both in real and dream life so that is an unfortunate pattern I hope to unlearn. :oops:

Now that I think about it, perhaps I do burn out sometimes. When it comes to dream journals I get really excited and record dreams for a while, but then it becomes too much work, and I give up on them. My new year's resolution was actually to stop recording all my dreams. I have too many, so I'll only record the ones that have left a big impact on me that I don't want to forget. Otherwise it's all work, and no play, which makes Hagart a dull boy, too.

You know, I've had a similar epiphany recently regarding dream journaling! I am very affected by both laziness and perfectionism, traits which are constantly at war with one another. :lol: Hence, obsession/burn-out. The perfectionism caused me to want to capture EVERY detail of EVERY dream, which becomes too much work as you've mentioned. I would definitely attribute the burn-out phase, at least in part, to the hassle of obsessive-journaling. While I am still aiming to record at least 5 dreams a week as I work to improve my recall (it's not as good as it was years ago), I've decided to only record the particularly meaningful dreams and to resist the urge to write down every single detail. I find that the details tend to rush back at the mention of key points anyway. Once lucidity becomes more of a habit for me like it is for you, I suspect I will record only the most intriguing/impactful. :)
"All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better."
— Ralph Waldo Emerson

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 12 Jan 2017 21:44

I'm a perfectionist too, and write EVERY detail. If you find some of my lucid dreams I've shared here, you'll know what I mean.

One thing I want to clarify because it may be misinterpreted is when I said I'm a "natural lucid dreamer", that doesn't mean that I lucid dream all the time, every night. I just mean that it was something I never learned from a book, or from the internet. I tend to get about 10-15 a month, most of them short and semi-lucid in which I know it's a dream, but still go along with it. Only rarely, about 10 times a year, do I get really vivid ones that start from my own bed and walk around feeling extremely real. I leave it all to chance mostly, but if I do plan to wake up after 5 hours of sleep, stay awake for 2 hours when the sun is up to release serotonin and trick my mind into being awake, eat some food and go back to sleep, that tends to induce the most vivid lucid dreams I ever get.

I'm pretty lazy, and you know what? Lucid dreaming is the one thing a lazy person can be good at. You can do it while taking a nap!
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”