Hello!

Drop a line here to introduce yourself! Let us know your background, where you're from in the world, your lucid goals.
JoaquínM

Hello!

Postby JoaquínM » 11 Jan 2017 16:21

Hi, I'm Joaquín (sounds something like ho-keen) and I'm from Córdoba, Argentina. I'm 18 years old and my main interests are lenguage learning/linguistics and guitar playing.
I got into the world of lucid dreaming last night searching for help. My relatives and my friends speak about their dreams (just normal dreams, non-LD) and I'm kind of jealous because the last time I dreamed and I remembered it was at the beggining of november (two months ago).
My sleep habits are really bad. I've been going to sleep around 23:30-01:00 and waking up at 5:30 the last six years. Obviously that's not enough so I take 3 hour naps everyday. That got my worried since as I said before the last time was in november and before that was in september. Only two dreams I remembered on the second half of the year, and even now I've already finished the school and I'm sleeping around twelve hours per day and I'm not dreaming.
So I thought I screwed it by sleeping 4 hours per day and I was not going to dream again, or maybe I'm too stressed.
However, that's the back story. Last night I was reading articles on this website until 3am and I decided to start writing my dreams if I ever have another one again...
I woke up early this morning, around 9am, and I couldn't believe it, I dreamed something again! The first thing I did was grabbing my phone, openening the notes section (I don't remember having done this), creating a new note and start writing. I had only vague memories of my dream and only could write two rows on my phone. But I'm extremely happy I could remember something about my dream. I'll keep reading something about this before going to sleep and I hope I can remember my dreams and write something the next morning.
Who knows? Maybe after a weeks of training my mind like this I can start with some techniques.
When I was 10 years old I could remember my dreams everyday, I still remember three very vivid dreams I had those years. In my whole life I realized twice I was dreaming and both times I woke up a few seconds later. I wish someday I can control that and not wake up instantly.
A few random quotes from my dreams:
You'll always have something to learn
Look! They're running! They're running!

Lyra

Re: Hello!

Postby Lyra » 11 Jan 2017 21:42

Welcome, Joaquín! I'm also new to the forum and am working to improve dream recall. :mrgreen:

JoaquínM wrote:Hi, I'm Joaquín (sounds something like ho-keen) and I'm from Córdoba, Argentina. I'm 18 years old and my main interests are lenguage learning/linguistics and guitar playing.
I got into the world of lucid dreaming last night searching for help. My relatives and my friends speak about their dreams (just normal dreams, non-LD) and I'm kind of jealous because the last time I dreamed and I remembered it was at the beggining of november (two months ago).
My sleep habits are really bad. I've been going to sleep around 23:30-01:00 and waking up at 5:30 the last six years. Obviously that's not enough so I take 3 hour naps everyday. That got my worried since as I said before the last time was in november and before that was in september. Only two dreams I remembered on the second half of the year, and even now I've already finished the school and I'm sleeping around twelve hours per day and I'm not dreaming.
So I thought I screwed it by sleeping 4 hours per day and I was not going to dream again, or maybe I'm too stressed.

For me, both too little sleep and too much sleep can mess with my ability to remember dreams. Everyone's different, but I've found that between 6.5 and 7.5 is a good amount of sleep so I try my best to stick to that. Also, ever since I learned that blue light from smart phones and computer screens can mess with your body's ability to produce melatonin, I've been supplementing with 3mg of melatonin whenever I have to work late on the computer. This seems to make my REM cycles more regular/predictable, and I find I am able to remember my most vivid dreams on these occasions. :)

I suppose stress could also have a negative affect on dream recall. However, for me, it tends to just give me terrible anxiety-dreams that I don't necessarily want to remember! :oops:

However, that's the back story. Last night I was reading articles on this website until 3am and I decided to start writing my dreams if I ever have another one again...
I woke up early this morning, around 9am, and I couldn't believe it, I dreamed something again! The first thing I did was grabbing my phone, openening the notes section (I don't remember having done this), creating a new note and start writing. I had only vague memories of my dream and only could write two rows on my phone. But I'm extremely happy I could remember something about my dream.

It looks like you are off to a good start!! Even if you only have vague memories of your dreams now, if you make a habit of recording dream details as soon as you wake up, I'm sure in time you will improve. Dream recall can be a learned skill, it just takes desire and dedication. :) I say this from experience. All my life, I have phased in and out of caring about my dreams. When I am in my lazy phase, I rarely remember any dreams. When I choose to care and put the time and effort into it (keeping a dream journal), I can usually see the improvement within a couple of weeks.

Even on a day/night that you can't recall a dream, I would recommend noting that in your journal, and maybe jotting down a dream-related goal for the next night. For example, "I can't recall any dreams. Tomorrow's goal: get 7 hours of sleep, see if this makes a difference" This is an example of an entry from my own journal. I find that documenting these details helps me keep track of my progress as well as any other factors that may be affecting my dreams/recall. Writing goals is also helpful to me personally because it helps solidify them.

I'll keep reading something about this before going to sleep and I hope I can remember my dreams and write something the next morning.
Who knows? Maybe after a weeks of training my mind like this I can start with some techniques.
When I was 10 years old I could remember my dreams everyday, I still remember three very vivid dreams I had those years. In my whole life I realized twice I was dreaming and both times I woke up a few seconds later. I wish someday I can control that and not wake up instantly.

That sounds like a good plan, and your positive attitude is only going to help in this endeavor to remember and eventually control your dreams. :D Just the act of talking about dreams with others on this forum will likely be beneficial. Good luck!!
"All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better."
— Ralph Waldo Emerson

JoaquínM

Thanks

Postby JoaquínM » 12 Jan 2017 21:17

Even on a day/night that you can't recall a dream, I would recommend noting that in your journal.
That sounds like a good plan, and your positive attitude is only going to help in this endeavor to remember and eventually control your dreams. :D Just the act of talking about dreams with others on this forum will likely be beneficial. Good luck!!

Thanks Lyra, I agree with you and I'll take your advice about writing in my journal even when I don't remember.
Last night I woke up suddenly at 1am and I wrote something in my journal. I don't remember myself doing this and I can't understand many words :lol:
I woke up again, at 7am (naturally) and I wrote again, but this time it was pretty clear, it featured real-life people and I still remember something.
I went back to sleep and I was awakened by my alarm at 12. I got excited since I remembered a dream in that last sleep period. But as I grab my journal the memories faded away :( . Kind of disappointing.
I'll keep the positive attitude, after all I wrote two dreams last night :D
A few random quotes from my dreams:
You'll always have something to learn
Look! They're running! They're running!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”