Dream Journal and Insomnia

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Sean Jacobs

Dream Journal and Insomnia

Postby Sean Jacobs » 13 Jan 2017 17:01

Hello all.

Just looking for feedback/advice.

Keeping a dream journal and insomnia have been an issue for me in the past. Now it is happening again. Once I wake up and try to remember a dream it gets my mind running and hen I can't fall back to sleep. This greatly reduces my changes of becoming lucid because I can lose my last 2-3 REM cycles, where there is a higher chance of becoming lucid. So, ultimately I'm going to have to back off on maintaining a dream journal, unless it is the last dream prior to waking.

My plan is to put a great deal more effort into lucid living (being more "lucid" all the time in my waking life, and hopefully that will feed over to my subconscious, and into my dream life); reality checks; affirmations; visualization; and improving prospective memory.

The question is: How much of a negative impact will greatly reducing maintaining a dream journal will have on having LDs?

Thanks.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

PumpkinofDreams

Re: Dream Journal and Insomnia

Postby PumpkinofDreams » 13 Jan 2017 21:35

Hey.
I have this issue too. For me I get too excited about everything I just saw. So it's either go back to sleep and write the last dream I have or end up fully awake.
Sometimes I can write down anchor words quick and I can rest after easy.
Usually I just kinda lay there a moment and decide if the dream is worth writing or if I have a better dream inside me that I can get by ignoring the first and sleeping again.
You could primarily write down you last dream of the night , though, and not worry about the others. Make exceptions for lucid dreams. Always write those down.
Hope that helps.

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 16 Jan 2017 16:34

Thanks PumpkinofDreams.

I have decided that I will only write down dreams I can remember once I wake up (hopefully after a good night sleep), and that if I wake up I will not focus on my mantra as this leads to insomnia as well.

Last night was another issue. Woke up at 1:30 am after a dream. I could only remember couple of fragments from the dream, and jotted them down. Then I repeated my mantra a couple of time.....but then I laid there away for an hour; then read a boring book for another hour; than got up and watched TV for another hour; then worked out, got ready hand got to work 2 hours and 15 minutes early. I'm feeling pretty tired now (it is 10:30 am), but I'm going to asleep on my keyboard by 4 pm.

So, my plan it to focus on lucid living and to completely ignore night time activities. I will use my mantra, visualization, and affirmations before bed and during the day. I will record dreams I can remember in the morning (if any). I will hope for the best. I really want to have LD's regularly. I hope there are ways to succeed without a DJ or night time activities.

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 18 Jan 2017 14:00

I had another night of waking up from a dream at 3 am and I just can't help but try to remember, make notes and say my mantra. Then I am unable to go back to sleep. I have reached the conclusion that I can't keep doing this. So my new plan is to go with doing everything I can during the day, and right before bed, but ignoring recording any standard dreams. This way I have no expectation of recording anything. I need to get a full night's sleep.

Hopefully I will start having LDs regularly now that I am making a point to be lucid all the time (completely aware of my environment, continuously asking critical questions (Where am I?, How did I get here?, What was I just doing?, Is this situation strange?, Am I dreaming?) followed immediately by a reality check. If I can work make this a true habit, it should work into my subconscious an allow me to achieve lucidity.

florence521

Postby florence521 » 01 Feb 2017 17:08

I have very similar thing happen to me, but it is not the dream journal that keeps me awake. it's just the excitement of sleeping, lol!!! I am running on two hours of sleep right because everytime I felt my body falling asleep I wondered if I would be able to stay awake. I don't get how people are able to WILD... but you have a great point on living lucidly - i think this will be more beneficial than a dj. A psychologist who has been LDing for 10 years told me the dream journal isn't actually too important as long as you can still recall a dream or two when you wake up :)

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 01 Feb 2017 22:09

If your determination to have lucid dreams is resulting in severe sleep deprivation, back off. Be reasonable and let your body vote. Feeling persistently exhausted is detrimental to your physical and psychological health and is also counter-productive for dream exploration.

I suggest - only try lucid dreaming initiation during the early dawn time or during afternoon naps.

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 01 Feb 2017 22:25

I have never had a dream journal. I have written down a few dreams when typing on this forum. Journal is entirely unnecessary for some, and I can understand that it would consume a lot of time. Lucid dreaming itself is one of the few things possible to do that waste no time at all, because you have to sleep anyway.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”