Love false awakenings from which to attempt sleep for LD.

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
Pilgrim

Love false awakenings from which to attempt sleep for LD.

Postby Pilgrim » 15 Jan 2017 11:26

Recently, I had to plan to wake a few hour before my normal time on account of an appointment. I had series of false awakenings, where the time in the dream was within 15-20 minutes of real, planned wake time.

I kept entering the false awakening where I would assess the time (I thought real time), and would determine to attempt lucid dreaming. I had few failed indications for a reality check working so as not to pass the test . I bounced off a window, and assumed that my inability the go through it indicated real world. Other checks would work in subsequent similar false awakenings. The next false awakening, I made sure to force my way through the window. Another false awakening, my wife told me the time, yet the clocks were showing different times. I did end up waking on-time for the appointment with no alarm clock required.

I just love false awakenings where I choose to go back to sleep for lucid dreaming. The layering is bizarre, but I seem most clear in my awareness recall of all the lucid techniques to stabilize dreams, fly, etc.

HAGART

Re: Love false awakenings from which to attempt sleep for LD.

Postby HAGART » 17 Jan 2017 02:21

Inducing false awakenings is certainly a great way to start a lucid dream. They tend to be a lot more vivid, with more awareness, feeling like being fully awake in a dream. I was already thinking about it as a possible technique when I wrote this in a different thread:

ME from How vivid are your lucid dreams/dreams thread wrote:I get false awakenings a lot. On Christmas morning I woke up and went back to sleep. I didn't want to sleep in too much so I got up and looked at my clock and it read 7:18. I laid back down and realized that couldn't be real because the clock was in a different position than in real life. I then got up and looked at it again and it was in the proper spot and blinking 7:18. I figured there must have been a power outage and got up and had a false awakening after that which was hard to recall.

Setting the intention in your mind to wake up can cause false awakenings which is a great way to lucid dream, but they will trick you if you are not critically thinking.

Having the intent to wake up soon, seems to help me wake up prematurely while still in a dream. I've had many false awakenings that turned lucid, but just like you, those false awakenings can trick us very easily. Goes to show how easily we can be deceived into thinking everything is real. Perhaps we are dreaming now and never truly awake. ;)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 18 Jan 2017 01:42

I wonder if the bedroom location for dreamscape tends to be so vivid because the mind is so familiar with it. It takes little brain effort to concoct what is so familiar.

Anyway, thanks for the response. I did not write very clearly, but one of the best things about the sequence of layering was that I was aware of my previous mistakes from just moments earlier. It began to be a quick process to turn to lucidity, in which I was dreaming to evaluate whether I had time to attempt another lucid dream.

So, it was as if I had real-time ability to correct mistakes. Mistakes were not a lost opportunity.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 18 Jan 2017 11:28

You're on the right track and it's always going to be fraught with mistakes. That's how you get smart and wise up to anything. The secret is, make every single mistake time and time again.

Nobody achieves anything without making mistakes.

I'm not ready to call myself an 'expert' and wonder if I ever will. I'm always going to make mistakes.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 18 Jan 2017 11:47

Pilgrim wrote:I wonder if the bedroom location for dreamscape tends to be so vivid because the mind is so familiar with it. It takes little brain effort to concoct what is so familiar.

This is the basis for all debates on whether it's an OBE or Lucid dream starting from your bed. I have had plenty of lucid dreams, with a very vivid dream body that feels so real. I have even been hot and sweaty in my dream body and cooled off in a lake! It's that real.

Well, let's put it in quotes. "real".

Sensations are the only way to detect reality and they are present in dreams so who knows what is 'real' anymore?

It is however, FAMILIAR, as you say. I think we hold a blue print of reality, a construct of our surroundings, if you will, all the time and never realize it. That is why our bedroom dreams are way more vivid, but I tell you, something is always off. I am on the fence about people claiming to have OBE's and wonder if they have a photographic memory or not. Then again, too many people claim to have it for it to just be shoved under the rug as a lie. Then again, big foot enthusiasts get air-time on the Discovery Channel.

I don't know anymore. All I know is what I know from experience.

(This was a bit off topic, but I just felt like ranting my thoughts somewhere.)

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 20 Jan 2017 01:14

What I see hindering communication on the "OBE" threads is that people tend to escalate to high emotion. I definitely want to read the different opinions and basis for the opinions. Emotion is the killer of the conversation.

Is far as what is "real"...dreams only seem real temporarily, to me. Close inspection of the dreamscape will show anomalies that mostly go unnoticed (until critical inspection with lucidity or reflection after waking if sufficient recall). Wake-life appears absent the same obvious illusions and remains a consistent experience.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 20 Jan 2017 21:39

I avoid the OBE debate threads for that reason, and just felt like stating my opinion here, because I saw you were responding in one, so felt you might like to know my stance.

But that's all I'll say about it here. This is the False Awakening Induced Lucid Dream thread, or FAILD. :?

Then again, false awakenings, waking up in our perceived bedroom and even looking back to see a sleeping body left behind is of course relevant to OBE's. I saw my sleeping body once, but it was only after I heard you can and purposefully looked back to find one. If I don't expect it or believe I will, I don't.

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 21 Jan 2017 13:33

I never know what all the acronyms represent. FAILD I will remember. :D

Yes, I like to know your stance. I like to read arguments as a way to learn things. What I don't like to see is when people feel hurt enough to leave the thread/forum.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 22 Jan 2017 05:28

I like that term, FAILD.
A false awakening is certainly a great way to start a lucid dream. We will make it a buzz word now.

And yes, we are both very cordial and listen to each other even if we have a difference of opinion. That's so rare on the internet. Most get 'internet muscles' and start yelling at everyone or get hurt and leave. I like that about you and am sure you appreciate the same about me.

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 22 Jan 2017 08:30

Gotcha! Yes, I have warm feelings in my heart for you and a few others on this forum.

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”