The Power Of The Mind.

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
dizzyuluru

The Power Of The Mind.

Postby dizzyuluru » 26 Jan 2017 16:12

Hello everybody, I have been toying with an idea that has worked for me fairly well. I discovered this by accident one night when I was lying in my bed, extremely calm and I convinced myself completely that I was going to lucid dream. That night, I had a spontaneous lucid dream without any method (other than convincing myself I would have a lucid dream).

Now, this was a few weeks ago but I recently hit a dry spell. So, 2 days ago I decided that to end my dry spell, I would do exactly what I did on accident and convince myself completely that I would have a lucid dream. That night, I had a lucid dream (and on top of that, I remembered 7 of my dreams). I then figured it could just be a coincidence so I tried it again last night, and same effect.

So, I have concluded that for me, completely convincing myself that I will have a lucid dream heightens my chance of having a lucid dream. So, I was wondering if this works for you guys, or if you've ever tried it. If you haven't, I would recommend trying it and then possibly coming back here and telling whether it worked or not (and maybe sharing the dream if it did).

Anyways, I hope you guys have a great day and happy dreaming!
Lucid Dreams: 24
Dreams Recorded:344
Days recorded: 201 (Started Sept. 18, 2016)
Last updated 4/4/17

LangstonM

Re: The Power Of The Mind.

Postby LangstonM » 26 Jan 2017 22:54

I've actually tried this on a number of occasions and it only worked once. While i'm laying in bed I would repeat, i'm going to have a lucid dream, i'm going to have a lucid dream. It failed about a dozen times and it succeeded once. I guess everyone will experience this differently. Remembering 7 dreams is impressive. I always forget my dreams unless it's the last dream before I wake up. I use to write them down on a notepad but i've stopped that habit. Maybe because I'm getting older and I care less.

Beethoven

Postby Beethoven » 28 Jan 2017 09:33

Maybe it works simply cos you believe it will work? Using the power of your mind has to be a good thing anyway, so if you add the two elements together you have a winning formula.

In the early 2000s when my ld's were much more frequent, I used the power of my mind to go back into a lucid dream when it ended. This got easier cos I knew it was gonna work cos I'd done it so much. I'd feel as though I could keep going as long as I wanted providing there was no external noise or the need to go to the toilet, which happened almost every time!

dizzyuluru

Postby dizzyuluru » 28 Jan 2017 19:18

Beethoven wrote:Maybe it works simply cos you believe it will work? Using the power of your mind has to be a good thing anyway, so if you add the two elements together you have a winning formula.

In the early 2000s when my ld's were much more frequent, I used the power of my mind to go back into a lucid dream when it ended. This got easier cos I knew it was gonna work cos I'd done it so much. I'd feel as though I could keep going as long as I wanted providing there was no external noise or the need to go to the toilet, which happened almost every time!

That's what I think. I think if you believe fully that you will have a lucid dream, then you will have a lucid dream. It's the same as in the lucid dream, the power of expectation can change the outcome of anything you try to do in a lucid dream.
Last updated 4/4/17

ColdPenguin

Postby ColdPenguin » 31 Jan 2017 16:13

I have had little success with any method. And I've been practicing quite thoroughly for the past 2 months, straight. I've only had two or three very, very brief, second-long lucid dreams in that time.

I'll give this a shot for a week or so, see how it goes. Though, I'm typically anathema to delusion. So I don't know if I'll be able to convince myself. Though, the lucid dream I had last week was after MILDing: stating over and over again right before sleep that I would have a lucid dream. I might have believed it. I have done that a bit over time, as well. Confidently stating I would have a lucid dream, throughout the day. Seemed to work that one time, but not any other time. :cry:

LangstonM

Postby LangstonM » 01 Feb 2017 23:10

ColdPenguin wrote:And I've been practicing quite thoroughly for the past 2 months, straight. I've only had two or three very, very brief, second-long lucid dreams in that time.

2 or 3 in a span of 2 months is a good month for me. I can go as long as 6 months without getting one. I've been luciding dreaming for about 5 years now

dizzyuluru

Postby dizzyuluru » 02 Feb 2017 00:08

ColdPenguin wrote:I have had little success with any method. And I've been practicing quite thoroughly for the past 2 months, straight. I've only had two or three very, very brief, second-long lucid dreams in that time.

I'll give this a shot for a week or so, see how it goes. Though, I'm typically anathema to delusion. So I don't know if I'll be able to convince myself. Though, the lucid dream I had last week was after MILDing: stating over and over again right before sleep that I would have a lucid dream. I might have believed it. I have done that a bit over time, as well. Confidently stating I would have a lucid dream, throughout the day. Seemed to work that one time, but not any other time. :cry:

In my first month I had about 2 lucid dreams that were very short, then I had a big dry spell for like 2 months until it started up again. If you don't have long LDs, just keep trying. You will eventually master it. I am definitely far from mastering it, but progress is good.
Last updated 4/4/17

ColdPenguin

Postby ColdPenguin » 02 Feb 2017 19:58

dizzyuluru wrote:In my first month I had about 2 lucid dreams that were very short, then I had a big dry spell for like 2 months until it started up again. If you don't have long LDs, just keep trying. You will eventually master it. I am definitely far from mastering it, but progress is good.

Thanks. That is really good to hear. Really wanna know I'm working towards mastering it: achieving something with all the work I put in. I had another longer one, today. :D Michael Jackson walked by me in a supermarket, and I was like, "....Wait a minute. Aren't you dead?" I *knew* I was dreaming. Lasted a good minute before I lost lucidity. :mrgreen:

LangstonM wrote:2 or 3 in a span of 2 months is a good month for me. I can go as long as 6 months without getting one. I've been luciding dreaming for about 5 years now

Dang. Sorry bro. :/ I guess going throughout the day and trying to notice anything out of place has worked for me. Though, I've had bad luck with reality checks. But SSILD virtually always increases my dream awareness and/or vividness, if I fall asleep during the cycles. Along with doing two reality checks often throughout the day, not just relying on the one. How much awareness do you put into it throughout the day? That kinda worries me. :roll:

LangstonM

Postby LangstonM » 09 Feb 2017 23:45

ColdPenguin wrote:Dang. Sorry bro. :/ I guess going throughout the day and trying to notice anything out of place has worked for me. Though, I've had bad luck with reality checks. But SSILD virtually always increases my dream awareness and/or vividness, if I fall asleep during the cycles. Along with doing two reality checks often throughout the day, not just relying on the one. How much awareness do you put into it throughout the day? That kinda worries me. :roll:

I use to do reality checks with my hands when I first started. Now days I just let it come whenever. It's a treat when I get one otherwise I'm not too bothered by it. I'm sure if I put in more dedication I can have them more frequent

florence521

Postby florence521 » 10 Feb 2017 03:23

Yes, I think this is very possible, and I bet this is also why many lucid dreaming "techniques" work.. because people believe they will work, so they do.

Who knows? :O)

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”