Daydreams vs Lucid Dreams

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
GwenDR

Daydreams vs Lucid Dreams

Postby GwenDR » 31 Jan 2017 23:21

I was wanting to better understand for most people, how lucid dreams and daydreams are different. I can lucid dream, but don't have daydreams that you'd ever recognize as such, due to a condition called aphantasia. That is, I have no visualization at all (I'm not bad at visualization, I simply don't have it).
However, the way other people describe daydreams sounds like a lucid dream, except awake. I'm really curious how different and similar they are for people.

jasmine2

Re: Daydreams vs Lucid Dreams

Postby jasmine2 » 01 Feb 2017 00:47

Many people tend to assume that imagination involves mostly visual imagery. However, other senses, especially kinesthetic sensations, may be involved, plus associated emotions.

Here are some interesting articles about various ways in which the mind perceives the outer and inner world. -

(1) "Aphantasia: A Life Without Mental Images" - BBC News - bbc.com

(2) "How Do Blind People Picture Reality?" - livescience.com

(3) Health Journeys - "What Is Guided Imagery? - Guided Imagery 101" - healthjourneys.com
Quotes -
"It is best to engage all the senses, especially your kinesthetic sense. Remember, only a little over half of the population is strongly visual."

"Imagery that elicits emotion is generally more effective than imagery that doesn't."

Click on - Sample clip from - "Meditation To Relieve Stress" - (audio CD)
Initially, the imagery is mostly visual but then changes to more kinesthetic.

GwenDR

Re: Daydreams vs Lucid Dreams

Postby GwenDR » 01 Feb 2017 01:01

I've read the BBC article, it's pretty good. I scored the lowest possible on their VVIQ test. I'll check out the others, though. And yes, didn't realize I hadn't mentioned in the post, but I have aphantasia. Don't expect it to stop me from learning to lucid dream deliberately, though some techniques may have to be adapted.

My imagination tends to be very kinesthetic, incidentally. I think there's an element of propioception, or the body's awareness of itself. So in a sense, I "feel" an image similarly to how I feel having a foot. But yeah, for most people (from what I understand),

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”