I‘m really confused

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
MeredyMilkovich

I‘m really confused

Postby MeredyMilkovich » 04 Feb 2017 23:47

Hey everyone! I haven‘t tried to have Lucid Dreams for a long period of time, so i don‘t have any experiences with it, but yesterday something strange happened and I would be extremely happy if someone could explain what exactly occured. So I woke up and wanted to write down my dream in my dream journal, I tried to turn on the light on my nightstand but it didn‘t work, which is likely to happen in a dream as far as I‘m informed. So I tried pushing two fingers through my palm but nothing happened. I tried to switch on the light a few more times but it still didn‘t work. I was sure that I couldn‘t be dreaming because I heard my sister walking downstairs and talking to my mum, just like every morning but now I‘m not too sure if I was dreaming or not. The next thing I can remember is me writing down my dreams, light switched on, everything totally normal. The only thing that bothers me is that I can‘t really remember turning on the light. I think it could have been a false awakening, but the problem is I can‘t remember waking up from such a false awakening and as I already mentioned I also can‘t recall the moment I must have turned on the light. Furthermore, as I was documenting my dreams, I realized that it was the first time writing about the dreams form this night, even though I was completely sure that i had already written down details about my first dream form that night. I am really confused and I don‘t know if I was dreaming or maybe half-asleep. As a beginner I don‘t know very much about this topic, so I would be really glad if someone could answer my questions. Have you ever experienced something similar? Thank you for your help.

Vaelan

Re: I‘m really confused

Postby Vaelan » 07 Feb 2017 16:59

You've experienced a crossover.

You have actually woken up turned on the light and started writing. At the same time you were dreaming. The sounds you heard were most likely real sounds that intruded on your dream state. Any outside stimulus can be a jump, to wake up. Especially sound.

Which is the point where you said you "The next thing I can remember is me writing down my dreams, light switched on, everything totally normal".

This is the point you became conscious. Confusion comes from the two states co existing yet one being dominant. Call it sleep walking if you will, however you were only in such a state for a few seconds. If this doesn't occur often, I'd just chalk it up to a one off, and you were just really wanting to write down your dream and were "sleep journaling" :)

Sean Jacobs

Re: I‘m really confused

Postby Sean Jacobs » 08 Feb 2017 19:15

MeredyMilkovich wrote:Hey everyone! I haven‘t tried to have Lucid Dreams for a long period of time, so i don‘t have any experiences with it, but yesterday something strange happened and I would be extremely happy if someone could explain what exactly occured. So I woke up and wanted to write down my dream in my dream journal, I tried to turn on the light on my nightstand but it didn‘t work, which is likely to happen in a dream as far as I‘m informed. So I tried pushing two fingers through my palm but nothing happened. I tried to switch on the light a few more times but it still didn‘t work. I was sure that I couldn‘t be dreaming because I heard my sister walking downstairs and talking to my mum, just like every morning but now I‘m not too sure if I was dreaming or not. The next thing I can remember is me writing down my dreams, light switched on, everything totally normal. The only thing that bothers me is that I can‘t really remember turning on the light. I think it could have been a false awakening, but the problem is I can‘t remember waking up from such a false awakening and as I already mentioned I also can‘t recall the moment I must have turned on the light. Furthermore, as I was documenting my dreams, I realized that it was the first time writing about the dreams form this night, even though I was completely sure that i had already written down details about my first dream form that night. I am really confused and I don‘t know if I was dreaming or maybe half-asleep. As a beginner I don‘t know very much about this topic, so I would be really glad if someone could answer my questions. Have you ever experienced something similar? Thank you for your help.

Sounds like you did have a false awakening. I've had a few of these and they can be very frustrating. In the future, always do a reality check as soon as you wake up, make it a habit. Then when you have a false awakening you can become lucid.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”