Can the human mind create a face?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
PlayWithBunnies

Can the human mind create a face?

Postby PlayWithBunnies » 05 Feb 2017 20:17

This is something that has bothered me for years. When there is a character in your dreams (lucid or not) and you do not know them. Did the mind create them? Or do you think it is the subconscious either using a face you saw but did not take notice to, lets say a random person you passed at the mall. Or do you think the mind is putting together a face from parts of people you know. I don't think it could be people you know well or you would pick up on that.

lucidé

Re: Can the human mind create a face?

Postby lucidé » 06 Feb 2017 03:11

Yes, your mind can randomly create a face, and this is why

There are so many different random ways to create a face, and this is why: Different shades of colors and shapes for the eyes, eyebrows, and eyelashes (in rare cases, the eyes themselves could be different colors or even shapes), different shapes and styles for the nose, different shapes for the ears, different hair styles, different lips, different head sizes, different races, and more. You have almost over hundreds of thousands of different options for you mind to recreate the character in your head, just because of this. This is why in the art industry as well, almost every character you will see looks so different from the others.
In fact, unless you really get to know a very specific character very well visually, there is a good chance you will never see that specific character again in a dream/lucid dream.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

Vaelan

Re: Can the human mind create a face?

Postby Vaelan » 07 Feb 2017 16:34

Creativity is something our minds do. A simple answer is yes. Spontaneous creation and holding that face within memory whilst dreaming can be difficult, if it is an emotional sequence you are experiencing then it is easier. Simply walking down a road and seeing faces although if concentrated on may form a distinct form. If not central to your experience may be thrown away as soon as constructed.

The level of solidity and ability to recall a face or form may also be largely attached to your ability, or strength of your dream state. Someone may find all faces they see are a blur, stronger dreamers may have greater definition and recall.

My question to you is why does this bother you, and why for so long?

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”