Feeling of being shaken awake

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
florence521

Feeling of being shaken awake

Postby florence521 » 07 Feb 2017 03:05

Has anyone ever felt the sensation of your spouse or partner shaking you awake during you LD, but they were not doing it in real life?

I was floating in my LD and I kept having a concern I would wake my husband and he would then wake me. I actually was smacking him in real life once when I was smacking him in one of my LDs which is why I had this concern LOL.

Well I think my worry manifested because I was floating, perhaps in an OBE, and then I suddenly felt sucked down back to the bed and like someone was shaking me. My transition from sleeping to waking felt very turbulent, almost like I was waking up during a violent earthquake, and it took a few seconds for me to fully wake up.

I just thought this felt so weird and was wondering if anyone has experienced this before..and maybe how I can prevent it from happening again!!

lucidé

Re: Feeling of being shaken awake

Postby lucidé » 07 Feb 2017 05:16

The shaking usually comes from the vibrations, a part of the WILD technique usually, so you don't have to be afraid of that.

As far as the flying goes, I don't think you have to be terrified of hitting your husband. You probably woke up from your lucid dream, because you worried way too much. If you think hitting a character is a bad idea, then use different forms of dream control aside from smacking them. There are other forms of dream control out there. Why not attempt to work on some flying techniques? Those are nice and easy, and you probably won't hit your husband doing those.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

Beethoven

Postby Beethoven » 07 Feb 2017 12:36

There's been several times when my LD's have made me think I was making loads of noise in bed so I've woken up.

Phew! I know what you mean about the vibrations! I was lying there on my back one night trying to meditate hoping that something might happen, and suddenly my body started shaking like it never has before. It was like lying down on a washing machine on the highest setting! I was quite excited cos I thought I was gonna have an OBE or something, but at the same time I got paranoid thinking that I was causing the whole house to shake along with the loud noise. This caused me to wake up. But the good news is that when I rolled on my side and went back to sleep I got lucid.

florence521

Postby florence521 » 07 Feb 2017 19:23

Yes, it's interesting to hear someone have intense vibration feelings. I am looking all over online and people usually describe it as tingly feeling. No, this was like being jolted around back and forth over and over! If it happens again I am just going to try to relax through it and see what happens :)

Beethoven

Postby Beethoven » 07 Feb 2017 19:47

Vibrations are more associated with OBE's than lucid dreaming. People say that you experience them just before you leave your body.

I'm very skeptical regarding OBE's and think of them as another term for lucid dreaming.

Look up Robert Bruce on YouTube. He talks about vibrations quite a lot. I don't believe a lot of these OBE guys, but he is by far the most believable for me.

If you wanna hear someone talk like they've just read a science fiction novel, look up William Buhlman!

Beethoven

Postby Beethoven » 07 Feb 2017 19:58

I've just read your original message and I noticed that you mentioned OBE. I can tell that you already know all about them so you would've probably learnt nothing from my last message. I wrote it assuming that you may not have been aware of OBE's.

I hope you either manage to get them to stop, or do something incredible such as leave your body!

florence521

Postby florence521 » 07 Feb 2017 23:46

Well the thing is I believe I was already having obe (my lucid dreams have been very dark and I can barely see though) but I floated toward the ceiling, then felt like I was sucked into my regular body and felt like someone was shaking me. Just imagine someone grabbing you by the shoulders and shaking you .

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 08 Feb 2017 01:55

Vibrations are a fairly common trait when inducing the wake induced lucid dreaming technique, or WILD for short. A WILD is when you enter a lucid dream while you are still conscious, you go directly from being aware of waking life, into a dream. Because you go consciously into a lucid dream/dream, you may end up feeling many different things physically or during the phasing process or even see characters in unusual places, as you mind not quite process you are in a lucid dream just yet. Buzzing in the ear is also a very common trait when inducing a WILD. Also, there is quite a difference between a WILD and your average lucid dream because WILDs are a direct conscious entry into a dream, and it is much easier to become lucid with a direct entry into a dream than it is with many of the other techniques.
Even if the conscious lucid dream entry seems a bit intimidating to you at first, just reassure yourself there is absolutely nothing you need to be afraid of. Nothing in a dream, especially in a lucid dream can hurt you. Once you train yourself to lucid dream, you can even have as much fun with it as you want.

If you don't believe me, I've induced that WILD technique since I was very young, and sometimes would had the vibrations before myself. I would then let myself phase into a lucid dream, and when I would do that, I would simply allow myself to control my environment.
Yes, some WILDs (well when I got a bit older), I do fly around the house in them or somewhere else for that matter. I don't see anything wrong with flying around the house. I do have unusual luck ratios.

*Edit as an answer to Jasmine: I hear rushing sounds before some of my WILDs as well. As I am phasmaphobic (not afraid of the Halloween or video game ones, just becoming one), I am going to keep believing that they are all dreams/lucid dreams (unless you somehow take a real life picture).
Last edited by lucidé on 08 Feb 2017 07:03, edited 2 times in total.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 08 Feb 2017 04:06

I have only had a few out of body experiences, but each one was preceded by a strong sensation of shaking and loud rushing sounds. Sometimes I feel some shaking during the transition state of falling asleep of waking up. It's like my dreaming mind is sort of bumping around between various levels or frequencies of consciousness.

I recommend these resources about out of body experiences.

(1) Book - Journeys Out Of The Body - by Robert Monroe

(2) Book - Adventures out Of The Body - by William Buhlman

(3) Book - Astral Dynamics - by Robert Bruce

(4) Website - The Travels of a Dreamwalker - karen657.blogspot.com

(5) Website - The Robert Moss Blog - mossdreams.blogspot.com

(6) Book - Conscious Dreaming - by Robert Moss
Robert Moss writes about shamanic dream work, which seems to be a blend of lucid dreaming, out of body experiences, and active imagination in a trance state enhanced by drumming. He hosts dream work groups in many different countries.

bess_auer

Postby bess_auer » 26 Mar 2017 21:17

I have experienced the vibrations, and the first time it terrified me. I have had episodes of sleep paralysis since I was young, but was able to learn to recognize what it was so I didn't completely freak out during an episode. However, in the last six months, I experienced the vibration during a sleep paralysis episode.

Unlike most people here, I am most successful with lucid dreaming on my right side (it's also how I sleep most comfortably - never on my back!) So when I had this particular episode, I awoke unable to move, instantly realized I was having a asleep paralysis episode, and then began to feel waves of vibrations travel up my spine to the back of my head. It was every bit as real as feeling my cell phone vibrating when it's on silent. The sensation (being new to me) absolutely terrified me. The waves and vibrations/buzzing intensified until I was able to jerk myself awake.

I was so upset over the feeling that I immediately began searching "sleep paralysis vibrations" and discovered this wasn't an unusual occurrence, and yes, people do attribute the vibrations to just before having an OBE, which I cannot say I have ever truly had where I wasn't dreaming. But, after reading, I then welcomed the vibrations and have worked to recreate that energy in my lucid dreaming.

This is actually why i joined this forum, looking for others who have had similar experience. Thanks for feedback from anyone who can relate!

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”