How much sensory perception do you have lucid?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Vaelan

How much sensory perception do you have lucid?

Postby Vaelan » 07 Feb 2017 21:13

For most I read that sight is the basic form of sensory stimulus people have.

I am curious as to the extent to which anyone in the community uses any other faculties. I personally use all. Sight, of course comes up first, however over time other senses have shaped my dream state. Touch, was curious at first, a simple railing on some stairs activated my sense of touch. Smell I had possessed for as long as I can remember, even as a young boy. Definitive hearing and not just white noise came with communication. Lastly taste was an astounding sensation to perceive within a dream state. It was linked with an overwhelming smell of a hot jam donut. I was pleasantly surprised within my dream to actually taste something, let alone feel the desire to eat.

As a side note I am curious as to the ability of others to discern motion. Not just the movement from point a to b, but the actual vector and acceleration, deceleration and virtual gravitational forces placed on the body, that you would feel, such as you would in a car. The turning of the car, it's movement and ceasing to move when stopped. Many people have the feeling and experience of flying in a dream, but can anyone discern within the dream state the forces of turning, stopping, or simply gliding. Aaand I've made the sidenote about the same size as the main body of the post /facepalm

Sean Jacobs

Re: How much sensory perception do you have lucid?

Postby Sean Jacobs » 08 Feb 2017 18:54

Vaelan wrote:For most I read that sight is the basic form of sensory stimulus people have.

I am curious as to the extent to which anyone in the community uses any other faculties. I personally use all. Sight, of course comes up first, however over time other senses have shaped my dream state. Touch, was curious at first, a simple railing on some stairs activated my sense of touch. Smell I had possessed for as long as I can remember, even as a young boy. Definitive hearing and not just white noise came with communication. Lastly taste was an astounding sensation to perceive within a dream state. It was linked with an overwhelming smell of a hot jam donut. I was pleasantly surprised within my dream to actually taste something, let alone feel the desire to eat.

As a side note I am curious as to the ability of others to discern motion. Not just the movement from point a to b, but the actual vector and acceleration, deceleration and virtual gravitational forces placed on the body, that you would feel, such as you would in a car. The turning of the car, it's movement and ceasing to move when stopped. Many people have the feeling and experience of flying in a dream, but can anyone discern within the dream state the forces of turning, stopping, or simply gliding. Aaand I've made the sidenote about the same size as the main body of the post /facepalm

Hello Vaelan. For the 5 senses: I have used them all in some of my lucid dream, but in most of my LDs smell and taste are the most neglected. I do find that sight, smell & taste can be greatly amplified in my dreams, where as sound and touch tend to be the equivalent to real life.

As for movement: Dreams can be comparable to real life. I had a dream where I was in a car and the driver was doing "donuts". I could feel the centrifugal force pushing me against the door of the car. I have flown so fast that I could feel the skin on my face being pushed back. I have jumped from five stories up, and felt the feeling of falling (losing my stomach).
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”