Photo dreams?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Niixxen

Photo dreams?

Postby Niixxen » 08 Feb 2017 14:11

Okay, so, I came across lucid dreaming awhile ago and thought it would be a great experience, however while I was studying how to do so I realised that my dreams, or how I dream, aren't like any I have heard others talk of.

Let me explain, all my dreams are extremely similar, not in content but in how I dream.
I dream in third person, i have never dreamt in first, but I never have vivid dreams. To describe them, I would say it was like I was looking at a series of photos and short videos (like seeing someone smile, or kiss etc.). However I can feel the emotions the dream creates in me, I can't feel the environment or objects or people, just the atmosphere. For example if I was dreaming of driving on the beach I'd see a picture or video of a beach, a car driving on it, maybe some people, and I would feel calm and relaxed, maybe happy (like I would imagine I would feel taking that trip with friends). Sometimes I see me, but it never feels real, and if I'm dreaming about myself I never look like me (sometimes just different hair or sometimes a whole different person) but I always know that's who I am in that dream.

I have heard people describe their dreams as if it were real life, not knowing it was a dream, or when they did and were lucid dreaming it felt extremely real. I have never experienced this even though I have always known when I'm dreaming, since I can remember. If I don't like where the dream is going I can change it easily, change who is in it, where I am, what's happening, like drawing a picture or playing with animation almost. But it never feels or looks real.

Is this common? Or, maybe is there a way to have more vivid dreams, or even just dream in first person?

Sean Jacobs

Re: Photo dreams?

Postby Sean Jacobs » 08 Feb 2017 19:05

Niixxen wrote:Okay, so, I came across lucid dreaming awhile ago and thought it would be a great experience, however while I was studying how to do so I realised that my dreams, or how I dream, aren't like any I have heard others talk of.

Let me explain, all my dreams are extremely similar, not in content but in how I dream.
I dream in third person, i have never dreamt in first, but I never have vivid dreams. To describe them, I would say it was like I was looking at a series of photos and short videos (like seeing someone smile, or kiss etc.). However I can feel the emotions the dream creates in me, I can't feel the environment or objects or people, just the atmosphere. For example if I was dreaming of driving on the beach I'd see a picture or video of a beach, a car driving on it, maybe some people, and I would feel calm and relaxed, maybe happy (like I would imagine I would feel taking that trip with friends). Sometimes I see me, but it never feels real, and if I'm dreaming about myself I never look like me (sometimes just different hair or sometimes a whole different person) but I always know that's who I am in that dream.

I have heard people describe their dreams as if it were real life, not knowing it was a dream, or when they did and were lucid dreaming it felt extremely real. I have never experienced this even though I have always known when I'm dreaming, since I can remember. If I don't like where the dream is going I can change it easily, change who is in it, where I am, what's happening, like drawing a picture or playing with animation almost. But it never feels or looks real.

Is this common? Or, maybe is there a way to have more vivid dreams, or even just dream in first person?

Hello Niixen. Although I most often dream in a 1st person perspective (just like real life), I have had several dreams from 3rd person perspective (like watching TV or a movie). I have know people who dream in 3rd person perspective more often and I believe this is because of how often they interact with/experience 3rd person external stimuli. The folks I know are heavily involved with computer games, video games, TV and Movies. So, because of the amount of time they spend with these 3rd person entertainments they feed over to their dreams. However, if you approach lucid dreaming in the right way I believe you can overcome this issue. When you reach the point where you realize you are dreaming you have to tell yourself that you are sitting in a chair, in a room, watching a movie. Then look at your hands. This should shift you to 1st person perspective. Remember, dreams are all about expectations. What you expect to happen will happen. Hopefully this will help.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”