Discrete Reality Checks

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Sean Jacobs

Discrete Reality Checks

Postby Sean Jacobs » 08 Feb 2017 19:21

Hi all. I do reality checks often and my personal favorite is counting the fingers on one of my hands. However, there are times when I am around people where I don't want to appear strange because I am looking at my hands, and they won't understand why. I'm looking for a discrete way of doing a reliable reality check, and I'm not a big fan of pinching my nose.

All suggestions are welcome.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Beethoven

Re: Discrete Reality Checks

Postby Beethoven » 08 Feb 2017 19:37

Haha welcome to the paranoia club!!!

I've always thought that if I didn't care what people thought I'd be having LD's all night long!

My favourite reality check is trying to make someone appear. I've been doing this for years and I'm not even sure whether it would work, but it feels good cos it's something I can do anywhere.

There's a newsreader (I'm not gonna tell you her name!) that I've been using for years. I'll say her name in my mind, and then look around to see if I can see her. I guess it's no good using someone you know cos you'll just think it's a massive coincidence.

Beethoven

Postby Beethoven » 08 Feb 2017 20:55

There's other things you can do with your hands too.

1) Try stretching your fingers by pulling them.

2) Try pushing your thumb/fingers through the palm of your other hand.

But, if you're paranoid like me, you may worry that people might be watching.

I like the stretching option cos a lot of people fidget when their having a conversation. I went through a stage years ago of cracking my knuckles. Nothing to do with reality checks, it was just a bad habit and used to annoy some people!

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 08 Feb 2017 22:19

Thanks Beethoven. My wife actually caught me checking my hand and commented. That made me worry that others notice and wonder what the heck I'm doing. Thanks for the suggestions. The stretching of my finger is a great idea.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Beethoven

Postby Beethoven » 10 Feb 2017 10:13

I don't know whether this would work, but I've tried it quite a lot in the past...

Counting my fingers without looking at them, and whilst they're in my pocket. This is great to do whilst walking!

I've also tried to count them in bed whilst lying down in the dark.

One of the most frustrating thing about lucid dreaming is that we could spend many hours practicing something that doesn't work!

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”