Lack of details, sense of self in dreams

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
glober

Lack of details, sense of self in dreams

Postby glober » 10 Feb 2017 13:39

I don't remember my dreams very often, and when I do, they're often recollected by my mind as these short, vague scenes.

I would remember what sort of happened, like a general plot to a story, or random scenes from a movie... so in a way I remember what sort of dreams I had, but never anything in detail.

In a way, it's almost like my memory of the dream are recollected as photographic images of various fleeting moments.

If I'm having an erotic encounter, I would remember the position of the sexual encounter, but never what the girl looks like or what I look like, or from my POV... it's almost as if I'm watching a scene play out, yet the memory is telling me that the character in this story is me.

Needless to say, this lacking realization of my sense of self during a dream has made it very hard to do any reality check.

Does this simply mean that I just need to work on remembering my dreams better? That at the moment, I'm only able to recollect the "summary" and few memorable imagery from the dream I was having?

Sean Jacobs

Re: Lack of details, sense of self in dreams

Postby Sean Jacobs » 10 Feb 2017 14:26

glober wrote:I don't remember my dreams very often, and when I do, they're often recollected by my mind as these short, vague scenes.
I would remember what sort of happened, like a general plot to a story, or random scenes from a movie... so in a way I remember what sort of dreams I had, but never anything in detail.
In a way, it's almost like my memory of the dream are recollected as photographic images of various fleeting moments.
If I'm having an erotic encounter, I would remember the position of the sexual encounter, but never what the girl looks like or what I look like, or from my POV... it's almost as if I'm watching a scene play out, yet the memory is telling me that the character in this story is me.
Needless to say, this lacking realization of my sense of self during a dream has made it very hard to do any reality check.
Does this simply mean that I just need to work on remembering my dreams better? That at the moment, I'm only able to recollect the "summary" and few memorable imagery from the dream I was having?

Yes, you should work on your dream recall. After you awake dreams fade quickly which would explain why you only remember vague pieces of the dreams. However, when you become lucid your conscious mind will be engaged and remembering a lucid dream will be much easier.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

glober

Postby glober » 10 Feb 2017 14:31

" when you become lucid your conscious mind will be engaged and remembering a lucid dream will be much easier."

but in order to become lucid, don't I have to first do a reality check within my dream and realize that i'm in fact dreaming in order obtain lucidity? :(

does that mean I should perhaps try other methods (something other than reality check within a dream) ?

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 10 Feb 2017 14:57

glober wrote:" when you become lucid your conscious mind will be engaged and remembering a lucid dream will be much easier."

but in order to become lucid, don't I have to first do a reality check within my dream and realize that i'm in fact dreaming in order obtain lucidity? :(

does that mean I should perhaps try other methods (something other than reality check within a dream) ?

Yes, there is always a trigger which brings on lucidity. It can be recognizing a dream sign, or noticing something is strange, or having a strong emotion, or doing a reality check.

My advice would be to select a single method or technique and commit to following it for 30 to 90 days. if you jump from technique to technique it will confuse your subconscious and lead to failure. Right now I'm using RCs, a nice simple mantra, and staying positive.

I'm tracking my plan here: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18908
If you are interested in what I'm doing. But there are other techniques you can try. But what ever you decide to do, keep it simple, stay consistent, and above all stay positive. Frustration, inconsistency and over complication will all contribute to failure.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 12 Feb 2017 15:44

My advice is to wake up for a while in the middle of sleep and go back to dreaming again. It works wonders. When you dream again, you are more awake, so even if not lucid, they are much more memorable.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”