What is Your Motivation to Master Lucid Dreaming?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Sean Jacobs

What is Your Motivation to Master Lucid Dreaming?

Postby Sean Jacobs » 14 Feb 2017 16:42

Since 2004 when I discovered the possibility of lucid dreaming I have been pursuing this skill off and on. I typically get very motivated and put tremendous effort into trying to get lucid, and in the past have suffered with frustration and lack of sleep which has led me to give up. Yes, I have come back to it over and over again trying to discover the secret of becoming lucid in my dreams often. Many people go through this same cycle in other areas of their life, such as: Exercise, diet, reading more, going back to school, making personal relationships better, etc. The reason for this ongoing pursuit is motivation. Something is driving us to attempt challenging things, things for which we are willing to sacrifice. Each of us has our own personal motivation and I’m wondering what motivates you to make the sacrifices required to lucid dream.

As for me here is my current list.

1. Dream Sex: I know, I know…I’m a pig. Typical guy response. For anyone who has read my lucid dream journal it becomes obvious that I tend toward sexual situations in my LDs (and I have not included some of my dreams due strong sexual content). However, this is one of the natural pleasures of life and in a dream it can be amazing. Even just kissing can be incredible. Plus, there are things you can do that are impossible in real life (and example would be temporarily changing genders). So…Yes I’m a pig…but this is definitely my #1 motivator.
2. Food: In real life I am a health nut. I generally eat exceptionally health, which requires me to remove high carbohydrate (processed grains and especially sugar) from my diet. However, I would go as far as to say I am addicted to sugar. I have times when I binge eat sugar (luckily it is not often). When I reach the level of expert lucid dreamer I can enjoy as much sweet foods as I want in my dreams with no downstream health concerns.
3. Excitement: This encompasses many things that are adrenaline related. Let's face it, most of us suffer from a lack of excitement in our lives and having a way to find 100% safe excitement is awesome! Flying is #1 in this category, but jumping off buildings, riding the world largest roller coaster, battling super villains, and many other things count in this category.
4. The rest would be exploring new and interesting places, meeting people (fictional, historical, dead loved ones, etc), and learning new things.
5. I’m sure there are things I haven’t thought of yet. So when I get sick of all the sex, food, excitement and other stuff….which I’m sure will take a very long time…I will come up with some new ideas.

I'm looking forward to hearing about other people's motivations.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Sews

Re: What is Your Motivation to Master Lucid Dreaming?

Postby Sews » 16 Feb 2017 21:52

Actually, while I can relate to most of your motivations, my main motivator is probably being able to 'contact' my sub consciousness (if that makes any sense). I want to know more about myself, and more about what makes me who I am today.

Now, besides that, the simple fact that you can do anything you'd like in a lucid dream is enough motivation for me. I also love the idea that if you practice something in your dreams (like piano or guitar), it'll affect you positively in real life. I love the idea that there aren't any consequences to my actions, like I could rob a bank and there won't be any long term consequences.

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 17 Feb 2017 13:53

Sews wrote:Actually, while I can relate to most of your motivations, my main motivator is probably being able to 'contact' my sub consciousness (if that makes any sense). I want to know more about myself, and more about what makes me who I am today.

Now, besides that, the simple fact that you can do anything you'd like in a lucid dream is enough motivation for me. I also love the idea that if you practice something in your dreams (like piano or guitar), it'll affect you positively in real life. I love the idea that there aren't any consequences to my actions, like I could rob a bank and there won't be any long term consequences.

Excellent answers Sews. Thank you.

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 18 Feb 2017 05:27

Escapism. That is my motivation. I use lucid dreaming to escape reality at night.

I didn't always have this for a real reason, but when I was a teenager, I had a real problem with bullies, so it was one of the only places I could safely vent my opinions about them without ending up in detention (when I put it in my drawings, I ended up in detention each time).
As real life, and our daily lives get really difficult at times, sometimes I think we all need a vacation away from it for various reasons. Lucid dreaming is way better in many ways than taking a real world vacation. If controlled well enough, you never have to worry about characters attacking you in any way, or anything going wrong (99.99% of the time), and you can just enjoy your time away from reality.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

nickbor

Postby nickbor » 06 Mar 2017 06:06

my motivation behind lucid dreaming is to have fun in my sleep and have an enjoyable night. But I only have had them spontaneously throughout the years. sorry don't have much more to say than this I don't think I'm much different than you, but I've never had one by trying to. It just happens if I do a reality check only in sleep,

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 06 Mar 2017 13:27

lucidé wrote:Escapism. That is my motivation. I use lucid dreaming to escape reality at night.

I didn't always have this for a real reason, but when I was a teenager, I had a real problem with bullies, so it was one of the only places I could safely vent my opinions about them without ending up in detention (when I put it in my drawings, I ended up in detention each time).
As real life, and our daily lives get really difficult at times, sometimes I think we all need a vacation away from it for various reasons. Lucid dreaming is way better in many ways than taking a real world vacation. If controlled well enough, you never have to worry about characters attacking you in any way, or anything going wrong (99.99% of the time), and you can just enjoy your time away from reality.

That is a great motivation lucide.

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 06 Mar 2017 13:28

nickbor wrote:my motivation behind lucid dreaming is to have fun in my sleep and have an enjoyable night. But I only have had them spontaneously throughout the years. sorry don't have much more to say than this I don't think I'm much different than you, but I've never had one by trying to. It just happens if I do a reality check only in sleep,

No need to be sorry nickbor. That is a great reason.

MysticalMeadows

Postby MysticalMeadows » 14 Mar 2017 23:08

One of my motivations for lucid dreaming is I want to talk to my subconscious mind and find out about myself on a deeper level that I can't do in waking life. My other motivations are just wanting to have crazy adventures and awesome experiences. I also just want to make good use of the time in which we're asleep to stay awake in our minds to have adventures through the night. Sleeping is such a large portion of our lives, so why not have amazing experiences while we're doing it. :D

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”