Hello, Just joining.

Drop a line here to introduce yourself! Let us know your background, where you're from in the world, your lucid goals.
Petal

Hello, Just joining.

Postby Petal » 14 Feb 2017 21:59

Hello, I'm going by the name Petal here. I'm from the UK. I have been experimenting with lucid dreaming and astral project for around twenty five years, on and off. My first experiences of lucid dreaming and astral projection were accidental, involuntary and quite upsetting because I didn't know what I was doing and had little information.
I had been gifted a dream dictionary because a family member had been told I often had vivid dreams and could describe them in detail. I started then, trying deliberately remember my dreams so I could look up the symbolism, in my book.
I told myself to wake up immediately after a dream so that I could scribble the details on a notepad by my bed. Soon after I find myself actually "waking up within the dream." I would see my room in a kind of spooky light and get scared and try to tell my mum I was having a nightmare. As soon as I took "a step" towards my bedroom door my whole room would shift round and I'd be looking down at my young teenage body. Needless to say I hated it and got very scared indeed. Then, the only out of body experiences I had heard about were near death experiences.
However, after a few experiences like that, I got curious and sometimes managed to get over my fear to go on little trips outside the house.
About ten years after, in my mid to late twenties, I discovered Ann Rice books and became fascinated because some of the things she described where so like my "special" dream experiences. I found the label Astral projection in her book "The Tale of a Body Thief" and started looking it up online and in other books. I have had some success at deliberately using the astral projection techniques of Robert Bruce's books. I learnt that I can and do both lucid dream and astral project, but I find astral projection harder to do deliberately.
As I get older I am finding it more difficult to have the same quality of lucid dreaming as I used to. I am not very medically/scientifically educated or mind but am curious about the astral/energy body and mind. I am also curious what other people get up to in their lucid dreams and looking for any shared/crossover experiences. For example has anybody else experienced a lot of finding themselves in train stations or shopping malls or have they tried walking through walls or been followed by "astral cops". Also would like to learn about new subtle techniques for people who may not have the same "energy reserves" they used to, or way to maintain them.
Anyhow, Kind Regards. I hope to see you about...

Sean Jacobs

Re: Hello, Just joining.

Postby Sean Jacobs » 15 Feb 2017 12:58

Petal wrote:Hello, I'm going by the name Petal here. I'm from the UK. I have been experimenting with lucid dreaming and astral project for around twenty five years, on and off. My first experiences of lucid dreaming and astral projection were accidental, involuntary and quite upsetting because I didn't know what I was doing and had little information.
I had been gifted a dream dictionary because a family member had been told I often had vivid dreams and could describe them in detail. I started then, trying deliberately remember my dreams so I could look up the symbolism, in my book.
I told myself to wake up immediately after a dream so that I could scribble the details on a notepad by my bed. Soon after I find myself actually "waking up within the dream." I would see my room in a kind of spooky light and get scared and try to tell my mum I was having a nightmare. As soon as I took "a step" towards my bedroom door my whole room would shift round and I'd be looking down at my young teenage body. Needless to say I hated it and got very scared indeed. Then, the only out of body experiences I had heard about were near death experiences.
However, after a few experiences like that, I got curious and sometimes managed to get over my fear to go on little trips outside the house.
About ten years after, in my mid to late twenties, I discovered Ann Rice books and became fascinated because some of the things she described where so like my "special" dream experiences. I found the label Astral projection in her book "The Tale of a Body Thief" and started looking it up online and in other books. I have had some success at deliberately using the astral projection techniques of Robert Bruce's books. I learnt that I can and do both lucid dream and astral project, but I find astral projection harder to do deliberately.
As I get older I am finding it more difficult to have the same quality of lucid dreaming as I used to. I am not very medically/scientifically educated or mind but am curious about the astral/energy body and mind. I am also curious what other people get up to in their lucid dreams and looking for any shared/crossover experiences. For example has anybody else experienced a lot of finding themselves in train stations or shopping malls or have they tried walking through walls or been followed by "astral cops". Also would like to learn about new subtle techniques for people who may not have the same "energy reserves" they used to, or way to maintain them.

Welcome Petal. 25 years of experience is fantastic! I have never had any experiences with astral projection, only lucid dreaming. I have never had any shared experiences in my lucid dreams, although I've seen my wife and my mother in lucid dreams and asked them if they dremt about me that night, and they did not. I have not walked through a wall, but did try to enter a TV show but just ended up moving though the TV and coming out the other side. I did have one lucid dream where men in black suits pursued me, but I believe that was a result of my own expectations. I wish you the greatest success in all of you LD and AP endeavors.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Petal

Postby Petal » 15 Feb 2017 16:55

Hi, thanks for replying and encouragement. Interesting that you said the men following you had black suits. Sometime I've been followed by such people in such attire. Maybe they are some kind of modern archetype. However, I find it difficult to believe they are part of my own psyche as they often appear when I'm most into something interesting, unusual, unexpected or unpremeditated. I seem to have two kinds, the serious black suit variety and some slightly less threatening ones that are kind of like the Flintstone cartoon cops, sometimes on motor scooters or have flying rocket packs. The flying cops are the most annoying, when they pop up and chase me off but one time they made me laugh so much with their indignation I woke up laughing.
Confession, sometimes in dreams I find myself without money and steal things. Then the cops chase me all around the market place or wherever. I have been thinking of deliberately stealing something to see what happens and if I can get them to turn up again.
I can't remember where I read you could walk through walls, perhaps Ann Rice again. I'm sure I read that you can study structure and stone formation, fossils and such by going through solids. I have tried this and found it true but I don't know enough of science to understand it much.
I've tried to project through the roof before, because it seems more sensible than walking/floating out a window. Sometimes it works other times I've got stuck half in half out, like Father Christmas getting stuck going down a chimney. I've also tried to project myself into the national lottery studio before time to get the numbers. Didn't work. There were angles there that shot me with one of those toy guns that a flag come out with "bang" written on. Me being typical me, I politely retreated but now I wished I had thrown a tantrum about why they wouldn't let me stay for the draw.
I could go on and on and I will likely post specific questions but am currently happy just butting into others conversations or lurking. This is a great site for me. I should have join it earlier.

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 15 Feb 2017 18:00

Petal wrote:Hi, thanks for replying and encouragement. Interesting that you said the men following you had black suits. Sometime I've been followed by such people in such attire. Maybe they are some kind of modern archetype. However, I find it difficult to believe they are part of my own psyche as they often appear when I'm most into something interesting, unusual, unexpected or unpremeditated. I seem to have two kinds, the serious black suit variety and some slightly less threatening ones that are kind of like the Flintstone cartoon cops, sometimes on motor scooters or have flying rocket packs. The flying cops are the most annoying, when they pop up and chase me off but one time they made me laugh so much with their indignation I woke up laughing.
Confession, sometimes in dreams I find myself without money and steal things. Then the cops chase me all around the market place or wherever. I have been thinking of deliberately stealing something to see what happens and if I can get them to turn up again.
I can't remember where I read you could walk through walls, perhaps Ann Rice again. I'm sure I read that you can study structure and stone formation, fossils and such by going through solids. I have tried this and found it true but I don't know enough of science to understand it much.
I've tried to project through the roof before, because it seems more sensible than walking/floating out a window. Sometimes it works other times I've got stuck half in half out, like Father Christmas getting stuck going down a chimney. I've also tried to project myself into the national lottery studio before time to get the numbers. Didn't work. There were angles there that shot me with one of those toy guns that a flag come out with "bang" written on. Me being typical me, I politely retreated but now I wished I had thrown a tantrum about why they wouldn't let me stay for the draw.
I could go on and on and I will likely post specific questions but am currently happy just butting into others conversations or lurking. This is a great site for me. I should have join it earlier.

The way I understand dreams is; while you are dreaming your subconscious mind is mostly in control, however your subconscious mind in the dream is driven by your expectations. What you expect to happen on a subconscious level will happen. So, if you are doing something and you have even a low level of expectation that what you are doing is "wrong" you may have some authority figure appear to take action (arrest, punish, etc) against you for what you have done. If you are at a high level of lucidity (1 being you understand you are dreaming but still all the laws of real life with in the dream & 10 being you have complete control of every aspect of your dream) you can simply "will" anything you want to happen. You have control of what happens to those men who are after you. If you have a low level of lucidity you will respond to them as if they are real and actually have power to do something to you.

Walking through walls is definitely something you can do. I've read about many people doing this feat. Nothing in your dream exists in reality so you can break all natural laws if you believe you can. But you have to be 100% confident that you can do what you wish, even a small amount of doubt will cause you to fail.

The lottery numbers is a great idea, but you probably won't get them right as your subconscious mind would just make up a random group of numbers. In my dreams written numbers and words don't make any sense. So, I probably couldn't read them any way.

Feel free to ask any questions you would like. I don't know if I can answer them all, but I have done a lot of research.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Petal

Postby Petal » 15 Feb 2017 21:22

Thank you. I am finding the idea of my subconscious been lead by the expectation intriguing. Running through my memory banks... or should I more accurately use words such as associated remembrances (because nobody really has minds stacked like libraries of solid changeless histories, right?)... Of my dreams past, I find few that would contradict the theory or at least would loosen a few bolts. I do have one or two stories in reserve but they are precious and I am not yet ready to have them debunked. I will, of course, allow you the cops for the time being. And I won't talk of Jung dreams and synchronicity, tonight.
I will say I would have never expected to find myself out of my body at thirteen. Then I could think up ways that my mind would want to create an escape, especially to find fresh knowledge not readily available to me as it is now.
Of course it begs the question what is the subconscious mind?... grey matter running with electrical currents? Matter being what?...subatomic particles able to be in two places at the same time and which behaviour changes by the expectation of the observer. And are these tiny particles and subtle currents not connected/connectable in to a wider system?...that creates separate and temporal (human?) consciousness? Meh! My mind aches and not with nerve endings, but sentience and tired emotion. So I'll excuse myself, take myself to bed and to dream, (and maybe haunt a few skeptics) because it is fun and easier than thinking critically. I am grateful for your time and insights.

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 16 Feb 2017 03:49

Hey there
The subconscious mind is the mind that allows you to dream. Actually, what many of us are trying to say, in the politest way possible is what you are experiencing is most likely a form of dreaming. See there is a technique called the wake induced (lucid) dream (WILD) or the conscious entry into a dream, and while you may not understand it because you may not have heard or read about it before it before, what happens when you consciously enter a dream is you can still be very much aware of your room, and even be dreaming about your room. The floating sensation itself is a huge characteristic of consciously entering a dream/lucid dream, and the ability of the mind can even make it possible to see a completely accurate version of your room and your house while you are dreaming/lucid dreaming. There are, however, always dream signs that many dreamers look out for many often refer to as reality checks, to help them become aware of their dreams. Flying is an obvious one. Sometimes looking at a clock or an object and not being able to read it properly is another reality check. What you need to do is believe you are able to do specific techniques, and then try them out for yourself.
BTW, many of the people who wrote those "ghost stories" probably never heard about or tried the WILD technique themselves, and even if someone actually managed to read the lottery numbers in a (lucid) dream, I still wouldn't be fully convinced, because there is always a chance of something like that happening. I also don't believe seeing things happening somewhere else while they are happening necessarily proves you are turning into a ghost.
I have had WILDs about flying into malls and by the Trax stations where I live night before, and I was never chased by any ghost guards of any kind. The guards I have ever seen were just the DC versions of the ones who usually patrol the malls at night, one of them even sat on me because he didn't even know I was there. More often in many of my WILDs, the dream characters are either very often friendly towards me, or I train them to be such.
*Edit Oops, I was only thinking about Fashion Place and City Creek when writing this, some of the malls and trax stations have gangs, although they are unable to hurt you, don't worry.
Last edited by lucidé on 16 Feb 2017 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

Petal

Postby Petal » 16 Feb 2017 18:16

Got ya thinking with those lottery numbers. It was a silly experiment, that I did really expect any result from. Giggles. There maybe a way of remembering numbers and script from dreams by using mnemonics devices. Not that I am well practiced. Being sat on! Funny! "I also don't believe seeing things happening somewhere else while they are happening necessarily proves you are turning into a ghost." OMG I also think thats true, because otherwise I'd be long dead. I do like ghost stories and I think you have inadvertently invented a premise for a excellent one. Proper belly laughing :lol: .
I'm time poor today, have only time for scanning and cant really respond as I would like to.
I don't mean to be impolite ether. My excitement and/or frustration isn't meant to be personally directed or offensive. I am creatively educated and understand agitation is useful for avant-guardism and creativity. I can only apologise a little for my outbursts, as outburst can be useful for expression.
Please, believe me that I know from my dreams last night that I'm not currently dreaming very lucidly if at all. I have know for a while. Motivation seems to be a big part of the problem. Why should I bother so much to become lucid when I've already experienced so much and seem to have fun just coasting on a kind of autopilot? What the mind or self is and how we are connected or not seems questionable too. It is true I do not know about this (WILD) technique and I've also come across another on (WOLF) mentioned that I know nothing of. Are those videos at the bottom explaining it? I hope they are quick and to the point. I do do my own kind of reality checks and use an app. Often I find myself "floating" aimlessly about the house usually in the bathroom when I need to pee. :oops: (Sorry no time to think of putting that less bluntly) To get to that state deliberately, comfortable and consistently...quit difficult, that seems... and maybe problematic...for me anyhow. ... thinking... perhaps, for me some sort of other sensation reality checking could work. I only do visual checks at the moment. Is it me, or is there a lot going on in this conversation? It would be helpful to me, at least, if it were broken down a bit.

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 17 Feb 2017 01:38

You already are consciously entering your dreams with your so called projections. All you need to do now is become consciously aware of your dream. Perform a reality check anywhere in that realistic version of your house you can find.
Here are a few reality checks you can perform, no matter how realistic your house may look:
How well can you read? Does the text appear to blur when you read it. Looking at your clock will give you similar results as reading BTW (a dream sign is the text will either appear blurry or the letters will completely randomize when you try to read them)
What happens when you try to look at your reflection in the mirror (the dream sign is quite often that your reflection usually will not exactly match what you appear to be looking at. With my dream sign, I cannot even see my reflection)
Flipping the light switch. (The dream sign: Does it not turn on when you try? Does your hand go straight through it?)
The flying itself is a complete dream sign, as it cannot be done in real life as humans cannot fly. If you find yourself flying again, use that, and tell yourself you are dreaming and attempt to convince yourself you can do anything you believe your can.
Don't I know about the bathroom desperation ones? I've had a few myself when my medication has really knocked me out. No need to be afraid to mention it. Also I had a few flying lucid dreams where I was just flying into another room myself, and I would try to flip the light switch, and my hand would go right through it, and I had no reflection in the mirror so it was very easy to tell I was dreaming.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 17 Feb 2017 03:13

Petal, welcome to the forum.

Wow, it sounds like you have had a lot of experience with out of body experiences and lucid dreaming.

You are apparently familiar with books on OBEs by Robert Bruce.
The following books are also very informative, you may have read some.

- Adventures Beyond the Body - by William Buhlman

- Journeys Out OF The Body - By Robert Monroe

- Lucid Dreaming: Gateway To The Inner Self - by Robert Waggoner

- Otherwhere: A Field Guide To Nonphysical Reality For the Out-Body-Traveler - by Kurt Leland
This is a very interesting book about the variety of imaginal world characters and environments which may be encountered during OBEs. Unfortunately, it is out of print. However, there are still a few used copies available at Amazon.

Also, see website - Home- Kurt Leland's Spiritual Orienteering - kurtleland.com

Petal

Postby Petal » 18 Feb 2017 21:40

Hello, Thank you, so much for your replies. I have the following week off and as it winter, not much to do. I am looking forward to updating my lucid dream and out of body knowledge. I've been think it's been about ten years since I picked up a book on the topic so it no wonder my technique is getting a bit rusty and ineffective.
I have looked up a video of the WILD technique. I did know of it, just without the acronym. I probably dismissed it as it seemed to need some disciplined practice, which is never my strong point. I like idea first and foremost. Still, I may very well give it a go seeing as I'm trying to calm down and reorganise all my routines.
Some of the reality checks I knew. Looking in the mirror is actually one of my favourite games. I'm vain and I always seem to look younger lucid. ;) I also often fly to check reality too, For some reason I had been concentrating all my checks during the waking day and forgetting the dream ones. Also forgetting to affirm that I will do the dreaming reality check before I go to bed.
Thank you Jasmine, for the book recommendations. I will certainly look them up.
My men in black cops by the way were having a laugh the other night and turned into Mr T. I think they were pulling my chains. They don't really bother me. I just curious why they keep turning up as often I'm not doing anything particularly that I think is wrong. They are just plain strange. Maybe I'll get around to writing a separate post about them. But in the meantime I am enjoying just reading other people's stuff and getting a feel for the place.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”