First Experience, a Little Scary

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
shawnart

First Experience, a Little Scary

Postby shawnart » 16 Feb 2017 08:38

I believe I had my first lucid dream a few months ago. It was a couple days before my grandpa's funeral, whom I was very close with. And I had an intense dream about my grandpa right before the LD, in the same night. It was very trippy for me, because I have never experienced anything quite like this, though I often have very vivid dreams which I can't make sense of.
I was standing on what appeared to be a logging road, staring out towards the trees on the side of the road. But, it was as though I was looking through goggles, and I couldn't move a muscle no matter how hard I strained. At first, I was excited because I realized I was dreaming, and not only that, but I knew I was laying on the couch at home and I knew that my boyfriend was sitting behind me on his computer. I tried to talk to him while I was still asleep and tell him what was going on, but I couldn't speak, even in the dream. It went on for several minutes, to the point where I felt like I was having a panic attack from being restricted and not able to wake up.
Since then, I've returned to this same scenario twice. Though each time after, I was slightly less restricted, I could look around a little and wiggle my fingers. Also, neither of the following LDs lasted very long at all. I'm very interested in having a better experience with lucid dreaming, but I'm worried that I have subliminally shut myself off from them because I am fearful of not being able to control what happens to me and when I'll be able to wake and stop it.

Sean Jacobs

Re: First Experience, a Little Scary

Postby Sean Jacobs » 16 Feb 2017 13:02

shawnart wrote:I believe I had my first lucid dream a few months ago. It was a couple days before my grandpa's funeral, whom I was very close with. And I had an intense dream about my grandpa right before the LD, in the same night. It was very trippy for me, because I have never experienced anything quite like this, though I often have very vivid dreams which I can't make sense of.
I was standing on what appeared to be a logging road, staring out towards the trees on the side of the road. But, it was as though I was looking through goggles, and I couldn't move a muscle no matter how hard I strained. At first, I was excited because I realized I was dreaming, and not only that, but I knew I was laying on the couch at home and I knew that my boyfriend was sitting behind me on his computer. I tried to talk to him while I was still asleep and tell him what was going on, but I couldn't speak, even in the dream. It went on for several minutes, to the point where I felt like I was having a panic attack from being restricted and not able to wake up.
Since then, I've returned to this same scenario twice. Though each time after, I was slightly less restricted, I could look around a little and wiggle my fingers. Also, neither of the following LDs lasted very long at all. I'm very interested in having a better experience with lucid dreaming, but I'm worried that I have subliminally shut myself off from them because I am fearful of not being able to control what happens to me and when I'll be able to wake and stop it.

Hi Shawnart. Congrats on your first lucid dreams. It is too bad that you didn't have any control. However, just being aware that you were dreaming is a success. That is always the first, and most important, goal of anyone trying to have lucid dreams. Dreams are completely in your mind and based on your expectations. The first experience where you were aware of the dream, and of your real body may have prevented you from moving because you were trying to mover your real body which was in a state of sleep paralysis (which is our natural physical state of our real body while we are dreaming). So, the next time you became lucid in your dream your subconscious expectation was you would be unable to move and your dream simply conformed to your expectations. Try telling yourself, before going to sleep at night, "I will have a lucid dream tonight I I will have complete control of my dream." You can reset your exceptions and be able to do what ever you like. A dream is completely in your mind, so you have complete power over everything in the dream as long as you know with absolute certainty that you do.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”