What if what you call life is the same as dreaming?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
The Professor

What if what you call life is the same as dreaming?

Postby The Professor » 20 Feb 2017 07:59

You know that a non-lucid dream can feel just like what you call real life. You know that there are times when what you call real life feels more like a dream. If you were in a non-lucid dream and someone lucid came up to you and told you it was a dream, would you have a similar reaction to how you're feeling as you read this? What is the difference between a non-lucid dream and a lucid one? Awareness. An awareness that comes with an entirely new set of decisions, reactions, and actions. That's the only difference. So, which do you choose? Personally, there are many aspects of this continuity timeline filled dream that I adore. My family, friends, passions, pleasures, and constantly expanding imagination which is the very engine that creates more in this dream life. I find much value in the timeline, and when i sleep I explore further, then get to 'wake' back into my timeline dream. I've chosen to bring a few drops of lucidity into my timeline. I'm learning to fly shape-shift, teleport, materialize and manipulate matter, consume anything and everything I desire while enjoying what we call perfect health and vitality, and all other pleasures of the senses that we call the physical experience. You've been living your dream life this entire time, now you can make it as sweet as you want. As you know, dreams can go any which way, your degree of lucidity (awareness of the true nature of the reality you occupy) can determine just how sweet it is. Happy lucid living dear friends.

Sean Jacobs

Re: What if what you call life is the same as dreaming?

Postby Sean Jacobs » 20 Feb 2017 14:47

The Professor wrote:You know that a non-lucid dream can feel just like what you call real life. You know that there are times when what you call real life feels more like a dream. If you were in a non-lucid dream and someone lucid came up to you and told you it was a dream, would you have a similar reaction to how you're feeling as you read this? What is the difference between a non-lucid dream and a lucid one? Awareness. An awareness that comes with an entirely new set of decisions, reactions, and actions. That's the only difference. So, which do you choose? Personally, there are many aspects of this continuity timeline filled dream that I adore. My family, friends, passions, pleasures, and constantly expanding imagination which is the very engine that creates more in this dream life. I find much value in the timeline, and when i sleep I explore further, then get to 'wake' back into my timeline dream. I've chosen to bring a few drops of lucidity into my timeline. I'm learning to fly shape-shift, teleport, materialize and manipulate matter, consume anything and everything I desire while enjoying what we call perfect health and vitality, and all other pleasures of the senses that we call the physical experience. You've been living your dream life this entire time, now you can make it as sweet as you want. As you know, dreams can go any which way, your degree of lucidity (awareness of the true nature of the reality you occupy) can determine just how sweet it is. Happy lucid living dear friends.

Hello Professor. I completely agree that awareness is the major key in becoming lucid. Triggering the awareness is the trick we are all searching for. Good post.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 20 Feb 2017 15:47

I remember my early lucid dreams. All I did was choose left or right and tried opening doors down a hallway. That is the quintessential basis of all lucid dreams. Then they got more vivid, but the basic self awareness and choice still remains.

I had a lucid dream the other day and made an opposite choice and wonder what would have happened if I chose the other?

Of course we can say the same about life. I can elaborate about the dream or all of this, but don't think I have to. If I did it would be a whole book! Let's just say we are on the same page.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 20 Feb 2017 15:50

And also, I have come to the conclusion that dreaming is the same as waking life. You don't die and lose consciousness when you sleep! (Well maybe part of it, in a way, but not REM.) You just think differently. There is no "dream life" and "waking life", as opposites, but merely a change in the way of thinking and consciousness itself is constant.

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 20 Feb 2017 19:16

They aren't really the same, they are alternate realities.

I could never think of reality being the same as a lucid dream. With things like disease, starvation, and animal cruelty around, how do you even compare the 2? In real life, sometimes you have to watch such horrible things happen especially to animals and children, but in a lucid dream, most of the time, you don't have to see that if you control it and command yourself not to.
Last edited by lucidé on 21 Feb 2017 01:21, edited 1 time in total.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 21 Feb 2017 01:20

You never have a lucid dream nightmare? I did yesterday, but maybe not a full on nightmare. Lots of disturbing imagery though. I was fully aware but not in control. It happens sometimes.

I'm an idealist too and really hate all the crap I see going on in this world. I really do. It perturbs me to no end. That carries over into my dreams a lot. Not all the time, but it does, and I know it comes from my indignation from all things that stress me in life, awake or in a dream.

I didn't see you respond. I only edited by adding this sentence: "I was fully aware but not in control. It happens sometimes."
Last edited by HAGART on 21 Feb 2017 01:38, edited 2 times in total.

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 21 Feb 2017 01:32

Most of the time I usually don't, well not anymore. Even when I have my stressful days in my lucid dreams, I know I have my Karate, so I am able to face up to my fears, often using my karate to fight them, turning anxiety into newfound confidence (my sensei taught me how to do this in real life, when I have anxiety, face fear).
There are a few exceptions, although they are a bit hard to explain. When I see something or some characters in places while flying around in accurate places I never expected. Like gang members and hobos hanging around the outdoor malls, or when I saw a crime scene (was really happening), or that time it was pouring and 1/2 inch flooded in Disneyland. While a few times I might have been irritated I could have not done things to prevent them from happening, they aren't lucid nightmares. I have come to expect things in my lucid dreams like this by now, as you and I both know Hagart.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 21 Feb 2017 01:46

I understand. I think I'm going off on a tangent though so will refrain, but I get you and want to reply to say I read it.

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 21 Feb 2017 01:52

I wonder how many years it takes of training before a user gets to that level of control? I think it took me about 3 years, and still, I find myself training in several different areas.

JRD

Postby JRD » 21 Feb 2017 15:01

The Professor wrote:You know that a non-lucid dream can feel just like what you call real life. You know that there are times when what you call real life feels more like a dream. If you were in a non-lucid dream and someone lucid came up to you and told you it was a dream, would you have a similar reaction to how you're feeling as you read this? What is the difference between a non-lucid dream and a lucid one? Awareness. An awareness that comes with an entirely new set of decisions, reactions, and actions. That's the only difference. So, which do you choose? Personally, there are many aspects of this continuity timeline filled dream that I adore. My family, friends, passions, pleasures, and constantly expanding imagination which is the very engine that creates more in this dream life. I find much value in the timeline, and when i sleep I explore further, then get to 'wake' back into my timeline dream. I've chosen to bring a few drops of lucidity into my timeline. I'm learning to fly shape-shift, teleport, materialize and manipulate matter, consume anything and everything I desire while enjoying what we call perfect health and vitality, and all other pleasures of the senses that we call the physical experience. You've been living your dream life this entire time, now you can make it as sweet as you want. As you know, dreams can go any which way, your degree of lucidity (awareness of the true nature of the reality you occupy) can determine just how sweet it is. Happy lucid living dear friends.

I was going to post the very same thing, heh...good to know there are more people who come to the same conclusion. The more lucid dreams i have the more similarities i see between reality and a LD. My question is where is the line between the two. Is it only in our minds? We're taught reality is "real" so our mind makes it so? That's going to be my mission in the next LD i'll have and that is to ask that question to my subconcious. Thanks again for this post!!! ;D
"In the beginning was the Word..."

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”