Flying high, help appreciated

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
Tororo

Flying high, help appreciated

Postby Tororo » 11 Mar 2017 09:46

Hi All

I have been Lucid Dreaming now for 18 years and for some years have had a problem with gaining height.

Many years ago I could zoom around like some whacky humanoid jet plane to any height but the nearer I got to the cloud base, I would get this visceral fear. And it was a 'cloud base', thick grey cloud, no gaps. I knew this was just a dream but I couldn't get rid of this fear as I got close to that thick cloud. Finally in one LD I punched through the cloud, flew through it, above it etc. It was fantastic.

But, here's the 'but', since that dream the cloud has disappeared. There is no open blue yonder, no fluffy blobs of cotton, floating in the ether. Nothing, just a dim, fuzzy greyness. And I now can't go higher than the highest object in the dream! I sit on rooftops, treetops (mountains have disappeared as well) and try to fly higher but can't. It's as though my mind has said "Yep, done clouds, ticked that box, nothing to see, move on".

What do you think has happened? I was hoping that having broken through the cloud I could go higher and out into space but nope. I was wondering if it was because I had got rid of the fear of the cloud I had resolved some subconscious fear and my mind has simply discounted the sky? I had and still have no fear of height in my dreams, knowing I am dreaming.

Advice appreciated, I miss whizzing through the sky :(

Petal

Re: Flying high, help appreciated

Postby Petal » 11 Mar 2017 11:09

For me there is plenty of stuff out there beyond the grey clouds. Focus and purpose seems to be the keys for unlocking most difficulties. Think/meditate on things you really really want to see or understand. Islands and space stations/castles can form in the air before your lucid eyes, by exploring them you can find many answers. Lack of imagination or curiosity can cause this kind of problem. A way to get passed your dark clouds is to think up your very own flying vehicle or a burning emotion that can fuel your propulsion. These things can be fun in their own right. Rocket craft fuel by an inquiring mind, for example, can come in many shapes and forms.
Anyhow, Kind Regards. I hope to see you about...

starsofclay

Postby starsofclay » 04 Apr 2017 16:41

I have had only one true lucid dream that I know of, and I did fly, but the intention was not to go high. However, I do fly extremely regularly in my normal dreams, and I have never been able to go higher than treetops. If there are no trees, there are suddenly power lines in my way. This has been a huge problem for me for as long as I can remember! Even as a teenager, I would tell myself that I would practice seeing what it looks like while taking off in a plane, in hopes that it would help fix my height problems in dreams, but it never has.

Even when I fly into the tree tops, I usually don't make it and have to grab a branch and pull myself to the top. It's very annoying. So I spend most of my time flying low and using it as a way to walk on water, which is a lot of fun. I love running across ponds and lakes. I wonder if many of these times could be considered semi-lucid, since I usually choose to fly or run across a pond for fun, but there is still a story going on around me.

Domintheos

Postby Domintheos » 06 Apr 2017 17:49

A very interesting post by the OP, I may have a decent answer to your problem.

I also have a few decades of lucid dream experience, and have been flying ever since I can remember. There was once a time I couldn't get above a 3 story building when flying--now I can fly as high as possible before "it" happens. I too wanted to see what's in outer space, only to realize when I got into the upper atmosphere there was nothing but darkness; upon flying through the darkness I'd hit a barrier, something hard and solid that I couldn't get past. This eventually led me to research the instance and I wound up at the flat earth theory, but that's besides the point.

I honestly believe that dreams aren't exclusive to our own heads, but actually take place in an abstract realm as real as out own. Shoot me a private message and i'll point you in the right direction if you're interested.
Lucid Dreaming is Life.

Mythos

Postby Mythos » 19 Apr 2017 04:27

I was wondering, do you have issues walking through solid objects when lucid?

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”