What do your family and friends think of lucid dreaming?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
yeahBoiii

What do your family and friends think of lucid dreaming?

Postby yeahBoiii » 13 Mar 2017 16:16

I have had some pretty amazing lucid dreams and lucid dreaming is a big part of my life. Because lucid dreaming is so damn awesome ofc I have tried to get my family and friends to do it. However I feel like it is like telling a person that was born blind how amazing it is to see. They simply dont get it because if they did ofc they would try. And also I want them to do it so we can talk about our dreams and the whole subject because I find it interesting. My parents are a lost cause, they think that I am doing witchcraft or something but I really would like my girlfriend and friends to do it but I just feel like I am naging and that I have done what I can.

Anybody with the same problem?

Sean Jacobs

Re: What do your family and friends think of lucid dreaming?

Postby Sean Jacobs » 13 Mar 2017 16:50

Great questions yeahBoiii. I pick and choose who I tell and who I don't. I can get a good feel, most of the time, of who would be open to the idea and who wouldn't. My wife knows, and has had a couple of LDs but has not interest in putting in the effort to seriously pursue it. I have friends who like to hear about it but don't pursue it. I told my mother about it and she started doing, but then had one LD and was worried she was doing something that went against her religious beliefs and stopped. So, I just do my own thing and talk about it on this forum and to the people who enjoy hearing about it.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 13 Mar 2017 17:29

My family for the most part doesn't really even care about it. A few members even believe I am lying when I talk about it. My mother will listen to me, but with some of my lucid dreams I told her about, she believes I am turning into a ghost (I am not sure what gave her this idea).
Then there's my oldest sister. I told her about my dreams when I was in high school when the others either didn't care about it or thought it was BS. She then told me the term lucid dreaming, and explained what I was doing was lucid dreaming. Before I talked with my sister about it, the only other adult who would listen to me about my lucid dreams was my boss. He was obsessed with ghosts and would tell me with some of the lucid dreams, mostly the ones I ended up having incidents with seeing things currently happening or the flying ones, I was turning into one. I really did not like him saying that as it gave me the creeps, and quite often would try to find counterarguments or evidence to use in my arguments against him. He was a very good boss (paid me well, I was his assistant, defended me from bullies, and we always worked together on things), but often, we would get into constructive arguments with each other. Even when I thought hitting a target in a lucid dream couldn't be done more than once, the gambler's fallacy proved me more than wrong back then (the gambler's fallacy proves it is possible to pull several low probability numbers in a row).
I don't really have any friends anymore who are into lucid dreaming like I am. However, back when I went to high school and shortly after, I used to have my group of 4 who were experts just like I was, and were able to pull off the WILD technique (they believed it was all a lucid dream like I did, and most of them also had phasmaphobia). We had so much skill, we even were able to pull off meshing (program our lucid dreams to be similar, programming to be similar is normal). We all would start WILDs at night, where we'd control our dream bodies at will, clone ourselves, our dream bodies would be dressed in a white robe and have a sash wrapped around ourselves, we could tell accurate time, weather, and could see accurate places, and then we'd fly around some place fun. Why meshing was fairly easy to pull off when our programming was roughly the same idea. We'd just arrange the time and place where accordingly we know our lucid dreams are most likely going to end up meshing, and somehow we got it to work every time. As far as real life goes for my gaggle of friends, one of them lived in the eastern coast, so we would have to contact her via email, and she responded to our emails, and they got to know her through the emails. 2 of them went to the same high school, and 2 of them we'd go to the same group activities, so 3 of us really got to know and meet each other. While we did talk about other things like their interests, it was rather fun back in high school having a group of friends who was interested in lucid dreaming like I was, and then when I took a vacation in the eastern coast (which I would once a year), my friend in the east would be waiting to meet with me in the east each year (I no longer take vacations at the eastern coast like I used to, it has gotten too dangerous and her father really hates me now when I did nothing wrong). I still really miss having in person friends who not only will listen, but have around the same skill level, and I probably won't ever have that again.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 14 Mar 2017 01:01

I've mentioned it to a few close friends, they don't really care that much, and I'm fine with that!
Dreaming is my drug

MysticalMeadows

Postby MysticalMeadows » 14 Mar 2017 20:29

My parents thinks it's pretty cool and my friends just think I'm weird.

Silence

Postby Silence » 14 Mar 2017 21:23

I think most of us have the same problem. Its kinda hard to find someone the love the lucid dreams. I only have 2 friends in real life who have some interest and they are only learning the basics. But well, this forum its great.

Im lucky, I study psychology and my classmates like to hear my stories, but is not the same :S

Good luck with your dreams!
Sorry if my english its bad, im from spain. :P

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 09 Apr 2017 14:28

My kids are interested. My wife thinks it's good for me.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 09 Apr 2017 16:52

You're so lucky you have family members who are interested.

The closest I can ever get with that is a somewhat similar subject, but it's not quite the same is with that multimedia fantasy world I created called Lutopia. Actually I've gotten many people interested in that, since I told them it's a fantasized alternate reality you can escape to get away from reality that doesn't follow real life's rules and you can do whatever the heck you want. I'll eventually release a video based on what Lutopia is, and you can see what you think.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

24/7/365

Postby 24/7/365 » 09 Apr 2017 19:38

There are few who actually get to experience this method. Who cares what others think. You are all very lucky to be able to think about such ideas.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”