Dream Memory

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Sean Jacobs

Dream Memory

Postby Sean Jacobs » 21 Mar 2017 19:16

Hello all.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced what I call "Dream Memory." This is where you see things in your dreams which you then remember you have seen in another dream which you didn't remember until you saw in in another dream.

Example: I had a dream that I was at a childhood friends house playing basketball in his driveway. I used to live next door to this house in real life. I glace to my left and there was a "club house" (a small house for kids to play in, in this case it was up on posts so you had to clime a rope ladder about 7 feet to get into it). Suddenly I remember having seen that same club house in a dream, except I saw it from the other side because I was standing in my yard. Then I wake up and I remember both dreams.

I have had this happen a few times.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

DreamerMan99

Re: Dream Memory

Postby DreamerMan99 » 21 Mar 2017 21:26

Yes. During the hayday of my lucid dreaming, my dream recall was so sharp that I started experiencing false memories.
Because so many of my dreams are often realistic and boring, I would remember them like yesterday. Literally.
Good luck,
Dream on.

HAGART

Re: Dream Memory

Postby HAGART » 26 Mar 2017 03:59

Yea, I sure do. It's like we have a waking memory and dream memory and both are kept separate. It's hard for me, now, to remember all my dreams, but I recall my waking life quite well. Then, when in a dream, it's the opposite. I can remember my dream life better.

There is certainly some false memories thrown in as well, which is common. I had a dream that felt so familiar and swear I had been there before while in the dream, but after waking up I just know it was false, and there is no record of such a place in my dream journal.

But just last night, I was in a house and wanted to walk to a swimming pool in the back yard which I am very confident is from a previous dream. I had the same recurring place twice now, or at least the longing to go to it, in the past few weeks. My memory of it is very clear, and I am confident to say it was indeed from a past dream because I also acknowledge what false memories are, so this one was certainly dreamt before.

Long story short, yeap, I know what you mean and I relate. It's like two sides of a coin, and we have so many dreams buried in our minds like a second life that become more apparent to us when in a dream state of mind. I did the math once and it's staggering. Let's say you dream for 3 hours a night, 7 days a week. That's just an average I will use based on REM sleep being about 3 hours. That means that every year we have 91, (12 hour days), living in dream land! We spend so much time there it's unbelievable. That would be 1/8 of the time living that we spend in dreams!

All those memories don't just disappear, but remain as part of our life as we live this human experience. Dream memories might as well be just as real and important as our life memories. They certainly shape us into who we are today, whether we are aware of it or not. We all live a second life.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”