How Do You Stay Motivated To Do Lucid Dreaming?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
MysticalMeadows

How Do You Stay Motivated To Do Lucid Dreaming?

Postby MysticalMeadows » 23 Mar 2017 18:19

I've lucid dreamed once since I've been trying lucid dream for a couple months. After my first lucid dream which wasn't all that exciting in anyway I've lost a lot of motivation to lucid dream. How do all of you stay motivated to lucid dream?

All responses are greatly appreciated. :D

Sean Jacobs

Re: How Do You Stay Motivated To Do Lucid Dreaming?

Postby Sean Jacobs » 23 Mar 2017 21:01

Hi MysticalMeadows. I'm sorry to here that you are losing motivation, but I completely understand. I have quit lucid dreaming many times in the last 12 years because of loss of motivation. Sometimes it just doesn't feel like it is worth the effort.

I've been back into lucid dreaming for about 3 months. I have had moments of frustration. But, the 2 things that are keeping me going this time are commitment and examples. I have committed to working on lucid dreaming until the end of 2017. My goal is to be able to have good quality lucid dreams 3+ days per week consistently. If I can't reach that goal by the end of 2017, than I will decide if it is worth continuing. Examples are people who have had success with lucid dreaming. I have read about many people who have reach a point where they consistently have good quality lucid dreams 3+ days per week so I know that it is possible. I have another personal motivation which has to do with lucid dreams providing me with opportunities to do something that may not be possible for me to do in real life any more...something that I very much enjoyed in the past.

Try to stick with it, keep looking for better ways to get lucid.

I hope this helps.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 23 Mar 2017 21:22

Hey MysticalMeadows. What LD techniques are you using to get lucid?

MysticalMeadows

Postby MysticalMeadows » 23 Mar 2017 21:46

Sean Jacobs wrote:Hey MysticalMeadows. What LD techniques are you using to get lucid?
I've just been doing reality checks/questioning my reality throughout the day along with MILD.

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 24 Mar 2017 14:44

MysticalMeadows wrote: I've just been doing reality checks/questioning my reality throughout the day along with MILD.

Do you keep a dream journal?

In the past I have always hated keeping a dream journal. It was just such a pain to record my dreams. But, I have discovered that it is far more valuable than I ever thought. It has absolutely helped me to get lucid more often.

You can also look into being more aware during the day. This is something I've been looking into recently and just started to make awareness a habit. I posted a couple of articles in the "Lucid Mindset/Lifestyle Technique" thread in the General Lucid Discussion section. This is more of a long term solution to getting lucid, but it may help.

MysticalMeadows

Postby MysticalMeadows » 24 Mar 2017 18:37

Sean Jacobs wrote:
MysticalMeadows wrote: I've just been doing reality checks/questioning my reality throughout the day along with MILD.

Do you keep a dream journal?

In the past I have always hated keeping a dream journal. It was just such a pain to record my dreams. But, I have discovered that it is far more valuable than I ever thought. It has absolutely helped me to get lucid more often.

You can also look into being more aware during the day. This is something I've been looking into recently and just started to make awareness a habit. I posted a couple of articles in the "Lucid Mindset/Lifestyle Technique" thread in the General Lucid Discussion section. This is more of a long term solution to getting lucid, but it may help.
I did keep a dream journal in the beginning and it did tremendously help me remember my dreams being someone who hardly ever remembered any dreams. The reason I stopped is it just became a huge hassle to have to do because I have to wake up early in the morning to go to school. It just felt like a major chore that I had no time for. I will try keeping a dream journal again. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 24 Mar 2017 19:58

MysticalMeadows wrote: I did keep a dream journal in the beginning and it did tremendously help me remember my dreams being someone who hardly ever remembered any dreams. The reason I stopped is it just became a huge hassle to have to do because I have to wake up early in the morning to go to school. It just felt like a major chore that I had no time for. I will try keeping a dream journal again. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

I completely understand. I get up at 5 am to be to work for 6:30. But, I just wake up after my dreams, remember as much as I can, replay the dream in my head, then jot down some key words and/or short phrases to act as memory triggers. Then I don't write up the dream until later.

Here's an example from last night. This was the last dream of the night here were my notes:
> Liam Neeson - gun fighter
> Polls w/ thing to hold hands
> Family event - Playing baseball
> Everyone killing each other
> 3rd party

Here is what I wrote later: I’m at some kind of family party. It is taking place outside on a nice summer day. I can see woods all around a flat open area of well-tended grass. There are folding tables set up nearby with folding chairs. There is a group of people (adults and kids) playing baseball to my left. Everyone appears to be having fun. Suddenly, I am watching things in a 3rd party perspective (I hate when this happens). The people start attacking each other. They are hitting, kicking and strangling each other. I know that they have caught some kind of virus that has made them go completely crazy. (no RC) Suddenly I see Liam Neeson come out of the woods. He is dressed like a cowboy with a 6 shooters strapped to each hip. (No RC) He pulls out the right gun and starts shooting people. Suddenly 2 long white (plastic) poles, about 6 feet long, with white and lime green gloves on the end appear in front of me. It looks like something out of a video game. I realize I have to save the people by getting those gloves onto Liam’s hands so he won’t be able to shoot anyone else. (no RC) I’m still in 3rd party perspective but I begin to move toward Liam like I am controlling a video game with my mind. Liam begins moving in a more sporadic way (like a video game character) and tries to move away from me. I move in and get the glove to my left onto his right hand. The green part of the glove lights up showing me I succeeded. The dream fades and I wake up (thank god!) (4:05 AM). The end of that dream was terribly annoying! I haven’t played a video game in at least 5 years. But yesterday I was reading about someone who was talking about playing video game and how it can help lucid dreaming…and then it shows up in my dreams.

This takes a bit of practice but over time it gets easier.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 26 Mar 2017 02:28

I didn't read it all, but will give my two cents.

Is lucid dreaming work, or is it a hobby? ;) I tell you, sometimes I don't even bother trying anymore, and take breaks from it. I didn't record any dreams this whole month. I still recall them in the morning though, and have been lucid a few times just out of habit because it's going to always be a hobby of mine. I also think, just like riding a bike, or juggling, or any activity we do, we get better at it with time.

But if you consider it hard work, it will be a chore. If you consider it a fun hobby then you won't even notice that you are even exercising your mind at all. Everyone hates forced diet and exercise, but if you enjoy the lifestyle it's fun and you don't even notice the progress you are making because the process itself is fun.

I suggest forgetting about trying too hard to lucid dream, and just fall in love with dreaming in general again. Those non-lucid dreams are amazing too. If you focus on that, lucid dreaming will follow in time, I am sure. That's how it happened for me anyway.

Don't give up completely, but there is nothing wrong with taking a break from over-trying from time to time. Who knows... sometimes when you stop trying is when you actually become lucid more. Our minds are like that. Kind of like when you loose your car keys and search frantically for them, only to realize where they are after you stop looking.

That's my advice, take it or leave it. (There might be a bit of reverse psychology in there too. ;) )
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

MysticalMeadows

Postby MysticalMeadows » 26 Mar 2017 05:55

HAGART wrote:I didn't read it all, but will give my two cents.

Is lucid dreaming work, or is it a hobby? ;) I tell you, sometimes I don't even bother trying anymore, and take breaks from it. I didn't record any dreams this whole month. I still recall them in the morning though, and have been lucid a few times just out of habit because it's going to always be a hobby of mine. I also think, just like riding a bike, or juggling, or any activity we do, we get better at it with time.

But if you consider it hard work, it will be a chore. If you consider it a fun hobby then you won't even notice that you are even exercising your mind at all. Everyone hates forced diet and exercise, but if you enjoy the lifestyle it's fun and you don't even notice the progress you are making because the process itself is fun.

I suggest forgetting about trying too hard to lucid dream, and just fall in love with dreaming in general again. Those non-lucid dreams are amazing too. If you focus on that, lucid dreaming will follow in time, I am sure. That's how it happened for me anyway.

Don't give up completely, but there is nothing wrong with taking a break from over-trying from time to time. Who knows... sometimes when you stop trying is when you actually become lucid more. Our minds are like that. Kind of like when you loose your car keys and search frantically for them, only to realize where they are after you stop looking.

That's my advice, take it or leave it. (There might be a bit of reverse psychology in there too. ;) )
I will take your advice, I will just try to focus on my normal dreams and enjoy them. :) Trying to lucid dream has definitely felt like a hassle recently. You mentioned that "sometimes when you stop trying is when you actually become lucid more". That's really interesting because the night that I had my first lucid dream actually happened around the time that I started not trying lucid dream as much. I wonder why that is.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 26 Mar 2017 08:06

I don't know why it is either, but taking a break often induces more lucid dreams. I have heard so many people who try too hard and come up with nothing. If there is the most laziest hobby of all, it's dreaming. Seriously, when you think about it you literally have to do nothing! :D

Remember to have fun again. I wish you luck and sweat dreams, whatever they may be.

When I said I may have done reverse psychology it's because me telling you to take a break might actually motivate you more. And that is what you wanted. Have fun, and best wishes. It's a mental playground to enjoy no matter what happens. Don't compare yourself to anyone else because there are always some people better and I don't let then deflate my passion.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”