Aware while sleeping

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
jamiealexander

Aware while sleeping

Postby jamiealexander » 03 Aug 2012 03:09

I quite liked this part of Charlie Morley's interview.

I was just wondering what it felt like, if anyone has done it?

Cheera

Ryan

Re: Aware while sleeping

Postby Ryan » 03 Aug 2012 03:25

Being aware while sleeping is called a Lucid Dream.

It's the reason for being for this forum/website. :)
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

jamiealexander

Postby jamiealexander » 03 Aug 2012 05:54

I thought that was being awake while dreaming :D

Peter

Postby Peter » 03 Aug 2012 08:09

Body asleep - mind awake = awareness = lucid dreaming
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

jamiealexander

Postby jamiealexander » 03 Aug 2012 09:52

But how can it be lucid dreaming if you're not dreaming?

Peter

Postby Peter » 03 Aug 2012 16:18

you are dreaming, and you are aware of it, but your body is asleep. Its an awesome experience to be in a dream and hearing your body peacefully breathing and knowing it is asleep while you are aware or in a sense awake in your dreams. This is one of the problems with words and common meanings as in this case it is causing confusion
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 03 Aug 2012 21:57

jamiealexander wrote:I thought that was being awake while dreaming :D

For me...
Whenever I'm consciously experiencing a reality that isn't this physical reality, it's a projection (lucid or astral, it doesn't matter... it's an experience in the non-physical).

What most people call a "dream", I call a non-physical dream awareness experience... because, to me, it's an experience you're having in the non-physical but you don't realize it.
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

jamiealexander

Postby jamiealexander » 05 Aug 2012 03:34

I'll use an example to try and convey what I mean.

So enlightenment is when a Buddhist is completely aware 24/7.

They are aware while awake; they are aware while they dream; they are also aware while they sleep.

We don't dream for 8 hours per night, therefore can we say we are lucid dreaming for 8 hours if we are completely aware?

Anyway, it doesn't matter. Peter already explained that it's fun to hear yourself breathing while you sleep.

Doesn't really matter if you call it a lucid dream or not. It's just a name.

Peter

Postby Peter » 05 Aug 2012 05:54

I am weary of lumping it all together as there are beliefs tied in this lot at times and that gets confusing. Nothing really matters that much until we try to compare and then try to put levels of skill in there. I am happy to use the terms lucid dreaming for becoming aware when dreaming, I am not a buddhist so would not want to compare or even say I do the same as that crosses boundaries and incorporates beliefs that are part of the buddhist way of life so wound not be reasonable

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 05 Aug 2012 10:52

jamiealexander wrote:
So enlightenment is when a Buddhist is completely aware 24/7.

Where did you get this idea? It's very false for even the Vajrayana/ Tantric forms of Buddhism whom actually practice it. Milam is used to meditate 24 hours or as closely to 24 hours as possible in a day and the practitioners of Milam are really suppose to be combining it with other yogas such as clear light meditation, a state in which one retains awareness yet has shut down thought and emotion. It's the "witnessing of the clear light" that can lead to enlightenment if not in life at the time of death. Note: if you were in the clear light during milam one would not be dreaming.

[quote=ibid]They are aware while awake; they are aware while they dream; they are also aware while they sleep.[/quote]

Been there done that-too much lucid dreaming :D

[quote=ibid]We don't dream for 8 hours per night, therefore can we say we are lucid dreaming for 8 hours if we are completely aware?[/quote]

One can will if aware 24-7 dream the whole night, unless one enters the clear light while dreaming, in which case dreams will stop. In lower level lucid dreams one can lose awareness even that one is dreaming and fall asleep- this can happen when one enters the clear light, though that is meditative failure.

[quote=ibid]Doesn't really matter if you call it a lucid dream or not. It's just a name.[/quote]

Again false, a real lucid dream is when one is aware one is dreaming and is aware whom one really is and has ones normal memories in the dream state.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”