Fighting in dreams

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
someblackdude

Fighting in dreams

Postby someblackdude » 07 Jan 2018 23:05

Hey I’m new to the forums I just felt like making an acc to ask this, so fighting in dreams is like weird y’know

I do not normally seek out to fight in dreams but sometimes it just happens, and for whatever reason no matter what it’s always an even fight. I can not overcome it without becoming incredibly brutal or violent, there are exceptions like if there’s an evil boss dream character then I normally can easily beat whatever “goons” he sends after me, but other than that I have very long drawn out fights with dream characters.

Like straight up, I cannot beat an enemy and it’s super annoying, even if it’s an 8 year old trying to fight me. I’m against fighting in dreams it’s just annoying when I’m trying to do something else and one of my dream characters gets pissed and starts fighting me. And it’s even worse when there’s innocent children, old people, or women involved in the violence.

For instance, I had a dream where I confronted a young child about cutting me in line at a movie theater and him and his friends started trying to fight me. I started calling for their parents to come get them but they seemed very rude and actually helped their children, throwing them rods and rocks to fight me with. The only way I was able to stop the altercation was by reaching behind me and knocking them out with a bat, which resulted in me losing total control of the dream and I got sent to prison. (Where more violence ensued)

So for that I ask, how would I be able to defeat someone attacking me in a dream. or rather why is it that I can’t beat anyone in my dreams

Another thing is I’ve had dreams where I’ve been in the military or law enforcement or even some sort of spy. Normally this is an exception to the “I can’t beat people” concept that I talked about earlier and I’m able to easily beat whatever hostiles are attacking me. Anyway, the dream characters sometimes end up pulling out weapons and when I reach for a gun, it jams after a few shots, or I run out of ammo and when I try to reload it the gun doesn’t work anymore.

Does anyone with similar problems know why guns work so weird in dreams?

Lastly, powers. This isn’t necessarily combat related but I didn’t want to make a new post for that when I could slap it in here. The only ability I’ve been able to utilize consistency is flight, and it’s normally sort of a gliding motion and I sometimes have to use some sort of a suit or magic skateboard to do it. I’ve been able to summon animals, and shoot fire, and jump super high, but for whatever reason I can’t just call upon these when I’m dreaming it’s just sort of a hit or a miss. After a while of concentration it just results in me getting mad, all my dream characters getting confused, and the dream changing drastically into something else if I finally get a power to work

So why is it that supernatural powers don’t work when I want them to?

I understand that dreams are different for everyone so please only answer if you’ve had a similar problem that you’ve resolved

24/7/365

Re: Fighting in dreams

Postby 24/7/365 » 09 Jan 2018 19:57

to many words is boring

erichsa

Postby erichsa » 10 Jan 2018 17:42

to many words is boring

That is what you are. :)

Dinoponera

Postby Dinoponera » 10 Jan 2018 21:21

I've had a few experiences with enemies that I can't beat, but in those cases it always seemed to be in the narrative of the dream. (More of a long lost rival, than a final boss type situation). Perhaps it's your hesitation to fight with with conviction that unconsciously gives your characters an edge.

As for guns, do you actually have any training with guns. I've had weapons jam in dreams too, so I'm intrigued but that coincidence, but once I was able to calm down for a moment I remembered how to un-jam my weapon, and it functioned fine after that. Maybe it was the knowledge that guns jam, and it was a fixable problem that allowed my to continue using mine, but as you said, dreams are different for everyone.

When it comes to dream powers I've noticed that it helps to find your own personal mnemonic for it. Some people fly by putting one arm out front like Superman, I use a posture more like Ironman. If it doesn't annoy you, stick with the board, if it does, then experiment and find something new. Most other powers I use, I got from video games (Dishonored/ Skyrim mostly), so I'm used to thinking with them. Doing things that are similar to what you'd like to do in your dream may help you.
But most importantly, you can't let yourself get mad. If one technique isn't working, then you should try to do something else instead. I find that when your concentration goes away from the environment for any amount of time, thing become more likely to change. So you should calmly try a different power instead, and comeback to it if you have the time later.

I hope that gives you at least some sort of idea about things.
"Won't you be friends with me" ^_^

someblackdude

Postby someblackdude » 13 Jan 2018 14:54

Dinoponera wrote:I've had a few experiences with enemies that I can't beat, but in those cases it always seemed to be in the narrative of the dream. (More of a long lost rival, than a final boss type situation). Perhaps it's your hesitation to fight with with conviction that unconsciously gives your characters an edge.

As for guns, do you actually have any training with guns. I've had weapons jam in dreams too, so I'm intrigued but that coincidence, but once I was able to calm down for a moment I remembered how to un-jam my weapon, and it functioned fine after that. Maybe it was the knowledge that guns jam, and it was a fixable problem that allowed my to continue using mine, but as you said, dreams are different for everyone.

When it comes to dream powers I've noticed that it helps to find your own personal mnemonic for it. Some people fly by putting one arm out front like Superman, I use a posture more like Ironman. If it doesn't annoy you, stick with the board, if it does, then experiment and find something new. Most other powers I use, I got from video games (Dishonored/ Skyrim mostly), so I'm used to thinking with them. Doing things that are similar to what you'd like to do in your dream may help you.
But most importantly, you can't let yourself get mad. If one technique isn't working, then you should try to do something else instead. I find that when your concentration goes away from the environment for any amount of time, thing become more likely to change. So you should calmly try a different power instead, and comeback to it if you have the time later.

I hope that gives you at least some sort of idea about things.

Thank you, I actually have had training with guns. My father has taught me how taught me how to shoot and all that. Guns just won’t work for me, I’ve never remembered to try clearing the jam in the dream but maybe that’ll work

Apart from that, I like that idea, just sort of finding whatever dream powers my mind let’s not me have, and also being calm when I try to deal with things.

And as for fighting, I think I get what you mean but I’m not sure. Just that I’m unable to handle the consequences of fighting so my dream creates these types of situations?

RedKryptonite

Postby RedKryptonite » 19 Jan 2018 06:57

I have no idea if you still check in every now and then,but may I ask if you've had extensive experience with fighting? (in real life)

Your experience with real life physical altercations (assuming you've had any)might play a part as to why your non-lucid combat dreams are the way they are. If these dreams bother you a lot,you can either practice and learn to become a better lucid dreamer or you can join a high-quality self-defense program that may address any internal conflicts you may have about fighting or combat. (I suggest you look up Rory Miller,Wim Demeere or Marc Macyoung should you choose to go this route.) Well,you can do both anyway. nothing wrong with that :)

I have the opposite of your problem. I win almost every combat situation I get into in my dreams. (I say 'almost' but I honestly can't recall a dream where I was physically defeated :lol: ) This might have something to do with the fact that I got into quite a few fights with bullies in my youth. I won all of them except one.(and even in that one case,the bully didn't want to mess with me anymore. so I lost the battle but still won the war :twisted: ) and my situation will always improve after I've beaten the bully. (I'd be left alone,and sometimes even praised by the people who hate the bully I decked). Politically correct sheep say that "Violence is never the answer" but I say "Bullshit! every time I fought,bullies left me alone and some even started to respect me. what do you say about that?"

The last real life fight I ever got into was against the baddest/most feared bully in high school...and I defeated him. 8-) (Well,I fought dirty. but "fair fights" belong in the ring,and bullies definitely don't deserve the honor of fair play either way.)

It was definitely one of the scariest moments of my life(I experienced an adrenaline dump like no other) but it resulted as one of the proudest/happiest moments of my life. All the bullies left me alone and I was able to graduate high school in peace. Violence is never the answer? yeah right :roll:

Anyway,now that I'm done bragging( :mrgreen: ),my theory would be that all this positive experience resulted as to why I almost always win "dream combat." I semi-frequently get into dream fights with the old bullies I used to deal with,and I pretty much win all the cases. that "baddest bully" is the guy I most frequently face,here's an example of it:
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&p=69406#p69406

Another is when I got into a dream fight with 2 bullies in a cafeteria. The entire cafeteria stood up for me and gang-assaulted the 2 bullies into the ground. awesome :D

Anyway,sorry for rambling like that. I hope my advice at the top(become a better lucid dreamer or start training or both)will help you,if your combat dreams bother you. Sweet dreams. :)

Return to “For Beginners”