See The Sky Technique

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Sean Jacobs

See The Sky Technique

Postby Sean Jacobs » 26 Feb 2018 13:39

Hello all.

I took a break from LDing and now I'm back with a new technique. I call it the "See the Sky" technique. It is very simple. When I see the sky I do some form of reality check. I started following this technique on Feb 19th, so it has been one week. I'm still getting used to it and often miss opportunities to do RCs when I see the sky. It is amazing how often we don't pay attention to something that we see all the time. The sky is always right above us :D

I try to notice it every time I go outside, look out a window, when it shows up on TV, etc. I also set my resolve before bed by repeating, with emotion and a determined mindset, "I will look at the sky in my dreams and become lucid!" ten times before I go to sleep. For me, in prior lucid dreams, the sky has look AMAZING! In some cases it looked like images from the Hubble telescope.

So, the technique worked last night.

Date: 2/26/18 (Monday 3:36 AM – work day): Before I went to bed I set my resolve to look for the sky and become lucid in my dreams. I don’t remember a lot about this dream. I was with my wife and her family at some cult/church event. I desperately wanted to get out of this place. It was taking place at a park near a lake. I’m waking among many pine trees and rocky outcrops. I reach the top of one of those outcrops and can see the sky. My mind “clicked” and I remembered to reality check when I see the sky; except I had no need to do any form or reality check I knew I was dreaming immediately. The sky was more beautiful than any sky in real life. The blue was darker, the clouds were white and silver and absolutely perfect. I just looked at the sky in awe for a few seconds and woke up. I’m very happy that I had some quick results from this simple technique. Hopefully I will get better with it over time. I’m still not remembering to do my “See the Sky” technique every time I go outside. I need to make this a habit.

I will keep everyone informed on this thread with my progress.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

LucidCat

Re: See The Sky Technique

Postby LucidCat » 26 Feb 2018 20:01

Being a lousy and sloppy reality checker I truly appreciate reading about your technique. It has been really hard for me to find a routine on doing RC's but I have the feeling this could work with me somehow. The sky is always there - in my dreams and in my real life when I'm outside or inside looking out of a window.
I'll give it a shot over the next weeks and see what happens.
Tell me briefly about your lucid dreaming journey :arrow: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20305

CARPE NOCTEM

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 26 Feb 2018 21:47

I hope it helps LucidCat. I'm always looking for a way to have lucid dreams somewhat regularly without losing too much sleep. I just want to have a habit that carries over to my dreams and helps me get lucid.

LucidCat

Postby LucidCat » 01 Mar 2018 09:37

I've been doing it the last two days and the frequency of my reality checks has improved immensly. Though, I have to be careful not to get sloppy with them. However it also seems to improve my mindset of questioning reality.
As a result, I had a short DILD this morning, by simply realizing I'm dreaming without even checking reality.

It actually seems to work with me - so I'll stick with it!
Tell me briefly about your lucid dreaming journey :arrow: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20305

CARPE NOCTEM

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 05 Mar 2018 18:07

That is Fantastic LucidCat! I hope you have many more in the near future!

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 05 Mar 2018 18:14

Over the last 3 days I have woken up from dreams where I was outside and didn't pay any attention to the sky.

I've been paying attention to the sky any place I see it (TV, Movies, Pictures, online, etc, etc); I'm going to change that to only checking when I see the actual sky. So only when I go outside or see it through the window. I know, from experience, that the mental shift that occurs when you realize you many be dreaming (I call it the "Click") has to come from a momentary spark of your rational mind while dreaming. I need to ensure my noticing the sky acts like this spark in real life; that feeling of surprise that I'm actually dreaming.

I will keep posting my results.

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 06 Mar 2018 13:36

Another night where I was outside in the beginning of a dream and didn't pay attention to the sky. But I'm going to keep trying to ingrain this habit to the point where is seeps into my subconscious mind, and shows up in my dreams.

Strange dream though about being in a house with my ex-wife's family and suddenly realizing how pissed-off my actual wife would be at me for being there. Then I pulled out my cell phone to call her, but it wasn't my phone it was an old pocket video game from the late 1980's. I did have a very brief moment of confusion on how my cell phone got swapped for this game, but then just dismissed it without considering I may be dreaming.

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 07 Mar 2018 16:56

I have created my mantra: "I will look for the sky and know that I am dreaming!" I am saying this, with complete confidence, many times during the day. Hopefully this will help to drive the habit into my subconscious.

I woke up form a 100% in door dream. No opportunity to see the sky.

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 08 Mar 2018 14:18

Well, last night was interesting. On my drive home from work I repeated my mantra (which I tweaked slightly) "I will remember to look for the sky, and I will know that I am dreaming!" I paid attention to the sky during the day with only a few misses (times where I lost focus).

I woke up from a dream some time last night. In the dream I was at some kind of event a a local event center (the DCU Center in Worcester MA). There were a lot of people walking around and many vendors at small stations. I was with someone who I knew in my dream but not real life (a middle aged woman) and I knew we worked together. Suddenly I look up at the ceiling of the building. I can see all the steel girders high above. I see no windows to see the sky. Then I say my mantra (but do not do a reality check), then go about my business without realizing I was dreaming...most likely because I couldn't actually see the sky. I see this as a good sign as the habit is starting to set in.

I went right back to sleep after this dream. I find myself walking on a street near where I lived as a child. I am trying to find my wife. Suddenly I'm in my car driving down another street there where I lived as a child. It is day time and there are many large trees on both sides of the road, the canopy of those trees are hiding the sky from my view. I actually lean forward and look up through the windshield in an attempt to see the sky, instead I see incredibly beautiful fall foliage. Amazing orange, red, and yellow maple leaves. I reach the end of the road where it meet in a "T" intersection with a road I know well. Across that road is a golf course which was near my childhood neighborhood. This place has been a dream sign for me in the past. I stop the car and I am staring at the golf course and the sky above it. I know I should be doing something....I wake up.

I did not get lucid, but I am excited about these two dreams. I'm hoping this progress keeps up.

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 08 Mar 2018 20:04

I have decided I have to add an "official" reality check into my plan. Right now I look at the sky, question if I'm dreaming in my mind, and then look around for something to read, or a clock. Those are great reality checks, but unfortunately words and clocks very rarely show up in my dreams. So, I'm going to add in my standard RC...counting the fingers on my right hand which has worked for me 99% of the time.

So, look for the sky = do a RC. Even if I don't see the sky, if I look for it (like I did in last night's dreams) I should do a RC.

I had 2 nights in the last 10 days that where I did something in my dreams related to the technique I was following. This is better than many of my other attempts, and isn't costing me sleep like many other techniques do.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”