Am I Lucid Dreaming?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Jer

Am I Lucid Dreaming?

Postby Jer » 01 Mar 2018 01:43

When falling asleep one night, I began to feel what I can only describe as a vibrating feeling throughout my entire body. This seemed to be internal, as there were no feelings of shaking or tremors. Upon noticing this feeling, an almost intense pressure in my head began. This pressure would get greater in intensity very quickly, until the pressure was unbearable. Once unbearable, I would wake myself up the same as I would when discovering that I am within a nightmare. In my waking state, it would be followed by a soft (yet rapid) heartbeat, and sometimes even a slight bit of confusion.

Oddly enough, this would repeat itself every few nights, almost instantly after falling asleep. As the days went by, I quickly realized that the event would only occur if I slept on my right side. In an attempt to make it stop, I switched to sleeping on my left side, only to find it still happening after a few days away from the event.

Now a few weeks in, I am getting this happening every night, but now accompanied by somewhat vivid dreams.

To give a few examples :

- One night I had a dream that I was in the basement of my family home, watching my mother do laundry. Wearing her night robe, she turned to me to say something that I do not remember. In that very moment, knowing that I might be dreaming, I had the random thought that I should try falling into her. As all this was happening, I could feel my body vibrate, but the intense pressure didn't begin until I did the motion of leaning forward. The closer I did get to the actual action I was thinking about, the more intense the pressure was. Of course, this caused me to wake up due to the intense pressure.

- Last night I had a dream that I was sleeping in bed. Everything was identical to the real world, except my bed was positioned in a way it hasn't been positioned in about 3 years. As the vibrating began, I can remember telling myself "it's happening again", followed by words similar to "let's see how long I can stay like this". The pressure began very mild, but I began to tell myself that I was only dreaming. I then had a random thought that I wanted to try raising my right arm. Laying on my right arm, I know in reality this would have been impossible, but I tried anyway. I started to get a very slow upward motion, but the more I tried to raise my hand, the more intense the head pressure became. I obviously woke up from the pressure. This time I almost felt like blood was shooting through my veins, followed by parts of my body still carrying a bit of that vibration. The confusion was not present.

I also had a strange situation laying on my back one day, where I never fell asleep, but started to feel the vibrating and pressure situations.

Is this lucid dreaming? If so, what is next? Can I turn off lucid dreaming just as people try to lucid dream?

LucidCat

Re: Am I Lucid Dreaming?

Postby LucidCat » 02 Mar 2018 00:13

Hey Jer,
I have an idea on what it could be that you are experiencing.

1. Yes - whenever you realize you're dreaming you are lucid dreaming.

2. The intense pressure thing is something that I've experienced myself and it also confused me a lot in the past. It usually happens to me in a state of full relaxation - mostly when meditating.
Now that I'm into lucid dreaming (and doing meditation to fall into sleep paralysis) I have come to the conclusion that this pressure feeling is a sign of the deepest level of relaxation in that particular part of the body.
It gets stronger the deeper I get relaxed. When I focus on a specific part (like the jaw or the forehead) for relaxing, the pressure feeling increases in that part. Sometimes I even get the feeling of my mouth being filled with solid concrete.
It used to be unnerving, now I see it as a sign that I'm successfully getting relaxed and I try to move the focus away from my body (by thinking about mantras, observing hypnogogia, visualizing dream scenes etc...)
The internal vibration is also a sensation that could simply indicate you're body is falling asleep.
I see both the vibration and the pressure feeling as a sign that the proprioceptive part of the senses starts inverting.

I don't know if you are familiar with the term 'inversion of the senses', so I'll shortly break it down to you.
When your body falls asleep your perception of the outside world diminishes until it almost gets completely shut down. The input from the physical senses gets replaced by a very convincing mental imitation of perception - which is nothing else but dreaming.

If your mind is stays awake during this process and you're likely to end up in a dream knowing you're dreaming and therefore being lucid.
It's the way wake induced lucid dreams (WILDs) work.

Addition: So - what now? The way you describe it seems like you are maybe annoyed by this happening.
I have no idea if actively trying to avoid this would work. Fighting it could provoke the thing fighting back, if you know what I mean - your focus on it could be something that makes it worse. So I'd suggest a seemingly paradox intervention - by letting it happen just the way it happens.
Develop a neutral/accepting or even a postive/welcoming mindset about it - and the nature of those events might change drastically. In the end it's all about expectations.

If you feel the pressure and vibration coming and already expect for it to become unpleasant it will become unpleasant.

If you feel the sensations but simply observe them, curious for what might happen the result might be a totally different one. You might be able to experience the positive side of lucid dreaming and learn to embrace it.
To achieve this I really recommend meditating and introducing mindfulness in your life. A calm mindset is the key.

This answer is purely based on my own experience - I hope it's helpful in some way.
Tell me briefly about your lucid dreaming journey :arrow: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20305

CARPE NOCTEM

Jer

Postby Jer » 07 Mar 2018 22:07

It actually does worry me.

It is now at the point where it happens every night. Now it most times is happening when I am either wide awake or almost in a transition between awake and sleeping. It also seems to be adding different properties. The head pressure seems to only happen when I am in an actual dream state. The times where I am awake it is accompanied by an even heavier vibration in my head, an amplified ringing in my ears (I already have ringing due to heavy sinus issues), and sometimes a wavy sound. The only way to explain the wavy sounds is to think about the swoosh sound you get when trying to tune into a radio frequency.

I am looking into medical issues since this is now occurring when I am awake, but everything that includes internal tremors carries symptoms I do not have. I am also not involved in sports or any contact that would create brain damage.

Oddly enough.. it won't happen if I lay down for a nap. It also doesn't happen during waking activities.

LucidCat

Postby LucidCat » 09 Mar 2018 23:51

Jer wrote:It actually does worry me.

It is now at the point where it happens every night. Now it most times is happening when I am either wide awake or almost in a transition between awake and sleeping. It also seems to be adding different properties. The head pressure seems to only happen when I am in an actual dream state. The times where I am awake it is accompanied by an even heavier vibration in my head, an amplified ringing in my ears (I already have ringing due to heavy sinus issues), and sometimes a wavy sound. The only way to explain the wavy sounds is to think about the swoosh sound you get when trying to tune into a radio frequency.

I am looking into medical issues since this is now occurring when I am awake, but everything that includes internal tremors carries symptoms I do not have. I am also not involved in sports or any contact that would create brain damage.

Oddly enough.. it won't happen if I lay down for a nap. It also doesn't happen during waking activities.

It worries you and that's understandable.
It would be really cool if somebody who is a lot more knowledgeable about sleep and dream science would answer to this topic.

In my personal belief it most likely is the way I described it above. All of these are symptoms that can occur when the body falls asleep and the senses invert - basically hallucinations - but no pathological ones. The mind being fully awake is no contradiction for that.
Why the head pressure happens during dreaming - I don't know.
Why it's getting worse - might have several reasons. It might have to do with your negative anticipation - you're afraid of it happening when you go to bed and your mind is totally focused on that - so it might happen more intensly because you expect and fear it. Maybe you're getting not enough night sleep and you are even more desperate to get this problem fixed.
That might be the reason napping is not concerned - there's way less pressure on a nap - you're not lying there thinking 'I need to sleep because I have to be fit tomorrow - oh, I hope I don't get these weird sensations again..."
Have you been under a lot of mental stress lately, even prior to this happening?

I would like to hear what ideas other dreamers in this forum have - especially if they disagree with my approach - please, go ahead.
Tell me briefly about your lucid dreaming journey :arrow: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20305

CARPE NOCTEM

24/7/365

Postby 24/7/365 » 11 Mar 2018 15:20

it's a process

Jer

Postby Jer » 15 Mar 2018 01:45

A bit of an update :

I did end up going to see my GP. While we haven't discussed test results, everything has come out clear and fine. We even did basic neurological testing, which lead him to believe while I should go see a neurologist, he doesn't believe there is anything to look at. He also told me that none of what I am saying sits in line with sleep disorders, and that he fears if I do a sleep study, the induced sleep would cause me not to have the sensations I am describing. This means they would not get accurate data.

I think you might be right in saying that fear of it happening might be causing a lot of the negative effects. I guess I am just finding it hard to see the positive effects of this whole thing.

Either way I had a completely different experience with it last night. The buzzing began. I noticed that I was still in my bed sleeping. The first thought that came to mind was to stop the sensations. When I almost "asked" to stop, they became more intense : loud ringing in my ears, slight head pressure, and vibrations starting in the head and then down through the body. The only difference is once I told myself to stick with it, the vibrations stayed at a consistent level, followed by a more intense wave of vibrating (instead of forceful pulse). Only way to describe it was a combination of goosebumps and muscle tightening.

My first thought then somehow became to raise my leg. I had no doubt I was in dream mode, but it was confirmed when I raised the leg and my comforter was bright white (in waking life it is dark green). The funny thing is... I know I moved the leg and saw it move, but I didn't feel it move. At that point the ringing in my ears became way too intense, so I decided to wake up.

Sounds like lucid dreaming to me, accompanied by sensations I don't hear about for other lucid dreamers. Another thing is, I remember these dreams with so much more clarity than normal dreams, but I can't as vividly describe details of what things looked like physically as I can with normal dreams. It's almost as I know what happened, but fuzzy vision (?) Only thing I can visually remember is the white comforter.

LucidCat

Postby LucidCat » 15 Mar 2018 21:15

Jer wrote:A bit of an update :

I did end up going to see my GP. While we haven't discussed test results, everything has come out clear and fine. We even did basic neurological testing, which lead him to believe while I should go see a neurologist, he doesn't believe there is anything to look at. He also told me that none of what I am saying sits in line with sleep disorders, and that he fears if I do a sleep study, the induced sleep would cause me not to have the sensations I am describing. This means they would not get accurate data.

I think you might be right in saying that fear of it happening might be causing a lot of the negative effects. I guess I am just finding it hard to see the positive effects of this whole thing.

Either way I had a completely different experience with it last night. The buzzing began. I noticed that I was still in my bed sleeping. The first thought that came to mind was to stop the sensations. When I almost "asked" to stop, they became more intense : loud ringing in my ears, slight head pressure, and vibrations starting in the head and then down through the body. The only difference is once I told myself to stick with it, the vibrations stayed at a consistent level, followed by a more intense wave of vibrating (instead of forceful pulse). Only way to describe it was a combination of goosebumps and muscle tightening.

My first thought then somehow became to raise my leg. I had no doubt I was in dream mode, but it was confirmed when I raised the leg and my comforter was bright white (in waking life it is dark green). The funny thing is... I know I moved the leg and saw it move, but I didn't feel it move. At that point the ringing in my ears became way too intense, so I decided to wake up.

Sounds like lucid dreaming to me, accompanied by sensations I don't hear about for other lucid dreamers. Another thing is, I remember these dreams with so much more clarity than normal dreams, but I can't as vividly describe details of what things looked like physically as I can with normal dreams. It's almost as I know what happened, but fuzzy vision (?) Only thing I can visually remember is the white comforter.

The question that I ask myself now - is this still lucid dreaming or more like a out- of-body-experience? I have no experience with the latter - but some of the OBE-experts here might know.

CARPE NOCTEM

Jer

Postby Jer » 16 Mar 2018 00:09

No.. I didn't feel like I was out of my body. I was just very slightly hovering in my normal sleeping position.

Return to “For Beginners”