Question about going into some weird dream state while awake.

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Anarchy

Question about going into some weird dream state while awake.

Postby Anarchy » 13 Mar 2018 22:09

Hello.

I just wanted to ask a question about what im experiencing. Over the years i been kinda trying to get a lucid dream, but i have never been able to follow the regular recipe. Once i tried to make a dream journal but attempting to write down anything when you can barrely open your eyes is very difficult.
Anyways, reciently i discovered something that had me questioning the regular method for inducing lucid dreams. Being a collage student i sometimes stay up late trying to get to do some hobby stuff after a day of studying. I cant say i have been very tired, but i think it might have some connection to what im about to explain.
I had heard that its possible to induce sleep paralysis when being awake. I think this method was called WILD. I could never follow this method. I once tried but ended up laying motionless on my back for an hour very uncomfortable and ichy everywhere and it didnt seem as if the sleep paralysis was comming. Then i gave up the idea of being completely still and waiting for my brain to send the "ichy awake" test.
So after that experience i decided, what the hell, im just gonna sleep normal and ignore any of the "dont move or else you break the immersion" rules. I ended up going to my side, and i often changed my position to feel comfortable. I was thinking about some casual stuff, how was my day, about the girl that i liked, how i felt uppon solving the math problem earlier that day...Then suddenly out of nowhere i feel like i start shaking. Something was shivering before my eyes. I kept my cool, and after a while a crystal clear image of my POV lying in the bed looking at my desk appeared. I got confused because i remembered that i had closed my eyes. Then i decided to open them and i saw my room from the same POV as when my eyes were closed. That was my first kind of weird experience.

In the proceeding days i tried to replicate what had happened. I succeeded...kind of. This time instead of seeing my room, some extremely sharp and clear images of some red blue and yellow geometric shapes appeared. It was cool. Dont remember what happened after that but i think i opened my eyes and i had to try again another day.

Further trying this method i have managed to get haunted by the scary figure people been talking about. I have been able to snap out of it every time before anything happens, but when its about to happen, this very intense fear just comes out of nowhere and i can usually make out a black human shadow before i snap out.

At this point its been a very long explanation of my experiences, but i was wondering what was i experiencing. Was that some kind of lucid dreaming. Was is just regular sleep paralysis and if i had stayed in the "dream" it wouldnt have advanced any further? Also another thing is that sometimes i didnt manage to get quite into the "dream" state because my eyes were shaking and i ended up opening them...

I just want to know if there is something to this "technique" i been using or is it just some useless stuff that wont get me anywhere. Anyhow its been a pretty cool experience.

Thanks for reading this far :)

lucidé

Re: Question about going into some weird dream state while awake.

Postby lucidé » 14 Mar 2018 02:52

That was part of the phase state of the WILD technique you were experiencing. I've had this happen several times before where I've seen images in my room, and I find it really fun. What usually happens when you start seeing images is eventually the whole scene of your room will eventually change, and you should eventually find yourself in a dream, and hopefully you are aware of your dream. If you experience this rather than fall into SP, it is usually a much easier form of WILD than falling into SP.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

Anarchy

Postby Anarchy » 14 Mar 2018 08:15

lucidé wrote:That was part of the phase state of the WILD technique you were experiencing. I've had this happen several times before where I've seen images in my room, and I find it really fun. What usually happens when you start seeing images is eventually the whole scene of your room will eventually change, and you should eventually find yourself in a dream, and hopefully you are aware of your dream. If you experience this rather than fall into SP, it is usually a much easier form of WILD than falling into SP.

Yeah but two things. I have tried WILD by waking up 3 or something AM and trying to enter a dream while being awake, but every time i have just fallen asleep again. Also i thought you have to be in a REM cycle for you to enter a dream. What i described in OP was just going to bed, and i was able to get into the "dream" right away. Thats the reason for this topic, im not sure how im able to dream if im not in a REM cycle like many people say i have to be to be able to do lucid dreaming.

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 14 Mar 2018 17:04

It may not feel like you are entering the REM cycle when something like that happens, but you are actually slowly entering REM sleep. There are so many countless ways to phase into a lucid dream.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

Return to “Off-Topic”