I can't stay asleep.

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
thebigdreamer20

I can't stay asleep.

Postby thebigdreamer20 » 18 Mar 2018 23:22

Last night I dreamt I was in my grandparent's bathroom, looking in the mirror for some reason when I did a reality check. Once I realized I was dreaming I remained calm and then proceeded to go through my stabilization routine, or at least what I could remember. I spun around in a circle, rubbed my hands together, demanded clarity ect.

So far so good, my dream had gotten very vivid and realistic and I went downstairs while calling out for my dream guide. I walked/skipped to my the garage and then confidently walked right through the door to the garage like I was a ghost, then the garage door opened up automatically right when I needed it to. Then I started losing clarity, I reminded myself I was dreaming and demanded clarity again, my vision went from blurry to very clear again... then I woke up.

This is not new, I have had something like 30 lucid dreams, all of them like this. Incredible realism and vividness as I walk from my bedroom to my kitchen, how exciting :roll: I wasn't particularly excited, the novelty has worn off and I was still looking for my dream guide, I figured he might me out-side.

I did notice when I woke up that my breathing and heart rate were higher than they should be right when I wake up in the mourning. But again I was particularly excited. If walking through my house, or through a meadow is too much excitement for me to stay asleep, how the hell am I suppose to jump off a mountain, or fight a dragon or have sex? I've had dozens of lucid dreams, and so far done nothing amazing.

When I do, do something awesome, I seem to lose clarity, I have come close to flying, but with much less vividness. When I have the most vividness I am doing the most boring things. For example, I hadn't noticed at the time but when I had walked through my door like a ghost, it was much less realistic than when I was by my mirror doing things to stabilize my dream. And only like 30 seconds had passed.

CatDreamer22

Re: I can't stay asleep.

Postby CatDreamer22 » 19 Mar 2018 02:17

Yeah, I have this issue too. It really is annoying when you finally become lucid, but you can't do anything but do a reality check, then you wake up. stabilization sometimes fails for me too, I do rub my hands together and consistently tell myself that I am dreaming, but I STILL wake up. The problem you could be experiencing is over-excitement. I have had 2 successful flying lucid dreams, but that was all. My mind wasn't ready to become a god and create my world quite yet. Meditation usually helps over-excitement, and gives you a sense of calm. Try that for at least 10 minutes a day. If it's not excitement that is waking you, then it could be a lack of confidence that you are able to stay lucid. I struggle with this all of the time. I try to perform an action as quickly as I can because i'm scared i'll wake up before doing anything else. But that just overloads my emotion and wakes me up even faster. I would suggest reminding yourself that it is very difficult to wake up and that you're trapped in the dream. I know it may seem a bit frightening, but if you want to remain confident in your lucidity, then this is one of the best options. Keep in mind that I am still a beginner and have had only 2 real lucid dreams so far. But I hope this reply helped you out in stabilizing your dreams. :)

thebigdreamer20

Postby thebigdreamer20 » 19 Mar 2018 02:25

Interesting, maybe I lack the confidence to stay asleep. I was starting to get worried, because if that little amount of excitement could wake me up, then what was the point of lucid dreaming? If walking around for 30 seconds woke me up, I was starting to think that there's no point to lucid dreaming, because I could never do anything cool. But I think you're right, I will shift my focus from trying to stay calm (which I think I mastered long ago) to trying to keep my confidence up that I can stay asleep. Thank you for your advise.

CatDreamer22

Postby CatDreamer22 » 19 Mar 2018 04:28

Well, trying to stay calm is still important. The slightest bit of enthusiasm isn't enough to end your dream, so long lucid dreams are very possible. But you can't just let your emotions completely take over, because then your sudden increased heart rate will wake you up. And yes, lack of confidence is the #1 thing that's kept me from dream stabilization, so it matters the most. I'm glad you decided to start working on determination in the dream world. Good luck! I wish for you longer lucid dreams in the future!

thebigdreamer20

Postby thebigdreamer20 » 19 Mar 2018 08:02

The question is how, what method do I use to convince myself that I can stay asleep?

CatDreamer22

Postby CatDreamer22 » 20 Mar 2018 03:42

Well, you can use affirmations by repeating something like, "I am stuck in a dream," or "I will stay asleep." Pretty soon it will become a habit and your mind will start to recognize that it is easy to stay asleep. It works exactly the same for the MILD technique in lucid dream induction.

LDer Charles

Postby LDer Charles » 28 Mar 2018 17:18

thebigdreamer20 wrote:Last night I dreamt I was in my grandparent's bathroom, looking in the mirror for some reason when I did a reality check. Once I realized I was dreaming I remained calm and then proceeded to go through my stabilization routine, or at least what I could remember. I spun around in a circle, rubbed my hands together, demanded clarity ect.

Thats great! Remembering what to do once I become lucid has been tough for me. Sometimes I just become really impulsive.

I heard about the clear technique (by Llelwyn in llelwyn's guide)

C = Calm Down
L = Look around
E = Engage the dream (feel the walls, rub hands, etc)
A = Affirm its a dream ("I'm dreaming, I'm dreaming, etc")
R = Remember your dream goal (might be just to start back at C)

And the MEME technique (by Robert Waggoner)

Modulate your emotions,
Elevate your awareness,
Maintain your focus, and finally
Establish your intent or goal.

Other things that helped me were blinking rapidly within the dream (worked fantastically once) or looking at my hands (helped a few times)

So far so good, my dream had gotten very vivid and realistic and I went downstairs while calling out for my dream guide. I walked/skipped to my the garage and then confidently walked right through the door to the garage like I was a ghost, then the garage door opened up automatically right when I needed it to. Then I started losing clarity, I reminded myself I was dreaming and demanded clarity again, my vision went from blurry to very clear again... then I woke up.

It sounds like you are doing the things that are supposed to work, but they didn't work. I have had this too. I spun, and nothing happened. Stuff like that. I can't really explain it, but when I started, spinning was like my go to thing. Sometimes I think the emotions underlying the attempt to stabilize can be one of franticness or panic. "OMG ITS ENDING! GOTTA STABiLIZE! HURRY UP OR THE DREAM WILL ENNNNDDDDD..."

Even attempting to "calm down" can be from that frantic place. "HOLY MOLY I AM DREAMING! OH NO, I'm TOO EXCITED! CALM DOWN! CALM DOWN!!!!!!!nnnn...." I have yet to wrap my head around "calmness" in general so I don't have any advice on that! :)

This is not new, I have had something like 30 lucid dreams, all of them like this. Incredible realism and vividness as I walk from my bedroom to my kitchen, how exciting :roll:

Well, give yourself a pat on the back for that! It is no small thing.

I wasn't particularly excited, the novelty has worn off and I was still looking for my dream guide, I figured he might me out-side.

I did notice when I woke up that my breathing and heart rate were higher than they should be right when I wake up in the mourning. But again I was particularly excited. If walking through my house, or through a meadow is too much excitement for me to stay asleep, how the hell am I suppose to jump off a mountain, or fight a dragon or have sex? I've had dozens of lucid dreams, and so far done nothing amazing.

I think aside from flukes, which everyone probably gets one or two of, your first couple dozen LDs will probably be short lived or mundane. One thing to understand is a lot of people try to make money off LD as a writer or teacher. So they try to sell it to you like it is something quick. "WAnt to fly? Want to have *** with anyone you want? Buy my book for $10! Come to my $1000 seminar!" Advertising typically doesn't mention the realities of LDing like time takes time and so it might give newcomers the wrong impression.

Try not to expect anything too big in your first year or even couple years. It can take someone who's just joined a gym months to even reach a 135 pound bench press. Those guys who have 20 inch arms and bench press 500 pounds have been working out for maybe 20 years sometimes. Except with LD you can have flukes where as with weight lifting no one randomly bench presses 500 one day when they usually only do 135.

When I do, do something awesome, I seem to lose clarity, I have come close to flying, but with much less vividness. When I have the most vividness I am doing the most boring things. For example, I hadn't noticed at the time but when I had walked through my door like a ghost, it was much less realistic than when I was by my mirror doing things to stabilize my dream. And only like 30 seconds had passed.

Some advice I never heeded well was to start small. Maybe just set your dream goal to be to keep the dream stable. Nothing but that. Forget all of the flashy stuff. It will give you a basis in stability because what you get to learn is, what good is flying or eating dream food if it ends right away? So you get to become disillusioned, in a good way!

There is also the problem of "lucid impulsivity" which I get some of the times, where I don't think of anything "constructive", I just do something impulsive, and wake up. How to overcome that? I don't know. Time. Repeatedly going through that and realizing you want something more meaningful out of it.
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)
https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/

Return to “For Beginners”