Reality Check Help and Ideas

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
EmeraldOwl30911

Reality Check Help and Ideas

Postby EmeraldOwl30911 » 21 Mar 2018 19:55

I am looking for some help with Reality Checks in general. Here are my main questions:
1. I have heard of a lot of different reality checks to do. Which one works most often?
2. I have tried a few reality checks, but I hear that you need to believe that it will happen. The problem is I know I'm awake and can't get myself to believe that it will happen. What can I do to get myself to believe it?
3. Because it is not supposed to be random, When I have a reality check that works, when should I do them?

Please Help.

CatDreamer22

Re: Reality Check Help and Ideas

Postby CatDreamer22 » 21 Mar 2018 23:50

Hi again, EmeraldOwl. First off, the best reality check is pushing your finger through your palm. Many people say this works the best, and so far, it is the only check that has helped me become lucid.

Next, in order to expect it to happen, you must question if you're dreaming. Look around for anything unusual or out of the blue that you wouldn't see in real life, and try to imagine seeing it right in front of you. really feel your environment around you, and then perform the check and be prepared for it to happen. Because you'll never really know whether or not you're dreaming, so make every check count and keep thinking like you really are dreaming. I have struggled with this for a long time, and finally got it working for the first time recently. The main goal is 100% expectation. without that, your reality check will never work.

Also, the times to do reality checks are really up to you. I prefer to make a schedule for my checks. Like, I do one every school period, and then 2 more when I get home. Stuff like that. And i'm sorry to say this, but reality checks happen completely spontaneously in your dreams. Your unconscious mind is made up of all of the memories, thoughts, and feelings you've had throughout your life. Your dreams, is when your unconsciousness takes alot of what happened recently, and mashes it all into a random story in your mind. Which is why dreams are so random. So yes, reality checks are one of those things that happens at random. However, the more you implement them into your daily life, the more likely you are to do them in your dreams. So the main thing i'm saying here is, be expected for it to work always, and do them a lot every day. Good luck in the real world, and dream world, and may lucidity come to you.

EmeraldOwl30911

Postby EmeraldOwl30911 » 22 Mar 2018 00:42

Thank You CatDreamer22!

LDer Charles

Postby LDer Charles » 28 Mar 2018 16:43

EmeraldOwl30911 wrote:I am looking for some help with Reality Checks in general. Here are my main questions:
1. I have heard of a lot of different reality checks to do. Which one works most often?

This was already answered but finger palm test, then other forms of hand checks like counting your fingers. Then nose pinch breathing, double checking clocks or text, and seeing if you fly. Some RCs don't always come up "positive" even if you are dreaming. For example I tried Finger palm test in a dream once and it didn't go through, so I concluded I was in the physical world. This is why most people recommend to do at least 2 RC's, not just one. It was only recently that I remembered to do the second RC in a dream. My finger didn't go through my palm, but I could breathe in through a pinched nose. So that helps

2. I have tried a few reality checks, but I hear that you need to believe that it will happen. The problem is I know I'm awake and can't get myself to believe that it will happen. What can I do to get myself to believe it?

Well, your finger definitely won't go through your palm in waking life. But it might help if you start to think that you COULD be dreaming, as you do it. This will come in time. Once you actually do it in a dream, and your finger goes through your palm, it is almost kind of trippy (I think). It made me really do them more carefully in waking life. Where as before I had experienced it in a dream, it was more just something i did like, "blah". Once it started happening in my dreams, I got a lot more interested in testing it in waking life. Sometimes in waking life, I wonder if I really might be dreaming. Sometimes in dreams, I really thought i wasn't dreaming, but told myself I would do the finger palm test just to practice, for when I actually WAS dreaming. Then, it went through. I was very surprises.

3. Because it is not supposed to be random, When I have a reality check that works, when should I do them?

Please Help.

I found triggers in waking life that happened in my dreams a lot. For example I would see someone smoking a cigarette in my dream and get angry. And I also saw people smoking a cigarette in waking life and got angry (inconsiderate/spreading poison). So in waking life, I started to do a finger palm test when I saw a smoker. It still hasn't happened in my dream yet but other examples have gone like that.

Sometimes though it has been random. Once you get in the RC habit, it can be anything that makes you think it might be a dream. Or if your phone did something weird, or a weird number popped up, stuff like that. If you see someone driving one of those funny looking cars, do an RC. Anything that makes you feel sort of surprised or makes you do a double take.
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)
https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/

EmeraldOwl30911

Postby EmeraldOwl30911 » 29 Mar 2018 23:41

LDer Charles wrote:
EmeraldOwl30911 wrote:I am looking for some help with Reality Checks in general. Here are my main questions:

This was already answered but finger palm test, then other forms of hand checks like counting your fingers. Then nose pinch breathing, double checking clocks or text, and seeing if you fly. Some RCs don't always come up "positive" even if you are dreaming. For example I tried Finger palm test in a dream once and it didn't go through, so I concluded I was in the physical world. This is why most people recommend to do at least 2 RC's, not just one. It was only recently that I remembered to do the second RC in a dream. My finger didn't go through my palm, but I could breathe in through a pinched nose. So that helps

Well, your finger definitely won't go through your palm in waking life. But it might help if you start to think that you COULD be dreaming, as you do it. This will come in time. Once you actually do it in a dream, and your finger goes through your palm, it is almost kind of trippy (I think). It made me really do them more carefully in waking life. Where as before I had experienced it in a dream, it was more just something i did like, "blah". Once it started happening in my dreams, I got a lot more interested in testing it in waking life. Sometimes in waking life, I wonder if I really might be dreaming. Sometimes in dreams, I really thought i wasn't dreaming, but told myself I would do the finger palm test just to practice, for when I actually WAS dreaming. Then, it went through. I was very surprises.

Please Help.

I found triggers in waking life that happened in my dreams a lot. For example I would see someone smoking a cigarette in my dream and get angry. And I also saw people smoking a cigarette in waking life and got angry (inconsiderate/spreading poison). So in waking life, I started to do a finger palm test when I saw a smoker. It still hasn't happened in my dream yet but other examples have gone like that.

Sometimes though it has been random. Once you get in the RC habit, it can be anything that makes you think it might be a dream. Or if your phone did something weird, or a weird number popped up, stuff like that. If you see someone driving one of those funny looking cars, do an RC. Anything that makes you feel sort of surprised or makes you do a double take.

Thanks for the great advice!

mjcaboose

Postby mjcaboose » 08 Apr 2018 09:37

One of the easiest for me is my surrounding . if it is not my usual environment then I am 100% sure that I am dreaming and I go berserk, I do whatever I want including jumping and flying . another reality check for me is things from the past that are long gone( like my grandpa's house before the renovation or my high school or the city that I lived long ago). I never followed any instructions. It came to me naturally. I think it has something to do with your sleep ( I am very light sleeper).

Xiaome

Postby Xiaome » 11 Apr 2018 18:20

Cool when you can! Not everyone is capable of this. I'm just learning ;)

Return to “For Beginners”