White Knuckling

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
LDer Charles

White Knuckling

Postby LDer Charles » 21 Mar 2018 23:19

I had heard people advise from time to time not to treat LDing as a chore, but I gradually started to white knuckle my practices. My dream journaling was becoming grueling and I was losing enthusiasm. In the last few days, I finally found it in me to "let go" and "surrender".

As a matter of fact, the "white knuckling" was actually having the inverse effect. The more I had to strain each day to keep up with my rigid regimen, the more my dreams seemed to suffer.

So I feel really hopeful now because I guess I got to a point where I just said "Theres got to be another way to live". I seem to be released from white knuckling. I have also let go of results, at least for the moment, about dreaming. That is a good feeling because it seemed like every waking moment, I was trying to optimize one factor or another to get me a lucid dream that night.

Of course I will still do my dreaming practices. But I just feel glad to be released from the strain. It is a major relief.
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)
https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/

starsofclay

Re: White Knuckling

Postby starsofclay » 28 Mar 2018 13:41

good insight. Yes, surrendering is always the best option, although the rebel in us doesn't want to give something up. But I think the benefits of LD is totally worth it

LDer Charles

Postby LDer Charles » 28 Mar 2018 17:58

starsofclay wrote:good insight. Yes, surrendering is always the best option, although the rebel in us doesn't want to give something up. But I think the benefits of LD is totally worth it

Thanks! I didn't totally stop practicing or dream journaling but I just set it to "easy mode" for the last week or so. I feel a lot better now.

I think it depends on the person's personality type. Some people are more of the type who need a push to put in some more effort. Where as I am more the type who needs to be told to relax and take it easy a little, since I habitually over work. Neither personality type is inherently wrong but it just helps to remember I am more the workaholic type.
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)

starsofclay

Postby starsofclay » 28 Mar 2018 18:59

yeah, its kind of like meditating. If you resist it too much, or try to control it, you won't have any fun and little benefits. But its when you surrender and just let whatever happens- happen, then you realize that was the best to do all along. But as you said, it does depend on the personality type.

I personally don't keep a dream journal, I should, but haven't gotten into the habit yet. Instead I have someone at work that we tell our dreams to each other everyday. It keeps it fun and engaging and it's nice to have someone to share the cool dreams with. I think its about as effective or near effective as journaling.

LDer Charles

Postby LDer Charles » 28 Mar 2018 21:52

starsofclay wrote:yeah, its kind of like meditating. If you resist it too much, or try to control it, you won't have any fun and little benefits. But its when you surrender and just let whatever happens- happen, then you realize that was the best to do all along. But as you said, it does depend on the personality type.

I personally don't keep a dream journal, I should, but haven't gotten into the habit yet. Instead I have someone at work that we tell our dreams to each other everyday. It keeps it fun and engaging and it's nice to have someone to share the cool dreams with. I think its about as effective or near effective as journaling.

Thanks! And thats great! I'm glad you found something that works for you, when many people are so dogmatic about keeping a dream journal. I like my voice recorder a lot better than writing for now so I am just doing that through the night. Then I listen to it later in the day to review.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”