Thanatopsis

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Summerlander

Thanatopsis

Postby Summerlander » 01 Apr 2018 04:08

Express your views on the topic of death here. Your statements may range from thanatology (the scientific study of death including its social and psychological impact on societies) to the philosophy of what it means to be dead. This is about death, a subject that most of us tend to avoid. Here is your chance to think about it and discuss it with others. Go! 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

RedKryptonite

Re: Thanatopsis

Postby RedKryptonite » 01 Apr 2018 09:40

The closest analogy would probably be falling into NREM/dreamless sleep for an eternity.

Its a fate that I honestly find sad and comforting at the same time. Sad because I'll never experience wonderful emotions ever again(and experience amazing and beautiful stuff like lucid dreaming)but also comforted because I know I'll never have to suffer ever again and I can begone in peace.

Summerlander

Re: Thanatopsis

Postby Summerlander » 04 Apr 2018 06:44

I want my thanatopsis to be accurate so I may ponder and expound upon this subject beyond what I will say here and now.

I'm taking a physicalist approach here identical to RedKryptonite's. All the atoms in my body could, in principle, be rearranged to produce a lifeless and non-conscious conglomerate of matter.

So I have to assume, based on empirical evidence uncovered by the scientific community showing how the mind can be affected or eradicated through brain damage or malfunction, that consciousness is the product of specific physical configurations that naturally come into existence via evolution in our universe.

In all likelihood, death equates with unconsciousness. If you happen to be on your deathbed, one of the telling signs that you are irreversibly slipping into oblivion is the progressive loss of sensation as consciousness peters out.

The theory of mind, or the knowledge that others exist beyond your mind, is the last conception you will lose, they say. The last ounce of consciousness may come in the form of a naked, selfless awareness.

Brain activity indicative of consciousness may peak one last time---a neuronic spark whose mental representation, if any, remains unknown. What is the last thing we experience? Who knows. It may be different for everyone.

If you happen to be killed in an explosion, the process from living to unconsciousness is certainly cut very short. Those who peter out may experience hallucinations fueled by endorphins and vast secretions of endogenous DMT. I'm not so sure about the biological details but it seems to me that evidence strongly reinforces the finality of death.

There are many fantastical hypotheses about reality being a divine illusion and death equates with waking up, or that a multiverse could contain a parallel continuation of the physical signatures that define you in a universe where you die. We could entertain these imaginative scenarios! But if we are going to be epistemically honest, we must always ask how much we can claim to know given these worldly appearances.

Whatever the case, here's what I find to be a sound message on the subjects of life and death:

https://youtu.be/GEDDNJkrkeo
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Off-Topic”