Paradox in Dream stability

How to control and prolong lucid dreams, increase the intensity, work with dream characters, and communicate with the subconscious.
LDer Charles

Paradox in Dream stability

Postby LDer Charles » 02 Apr 2018 16:49

Hi guys, I was just listening to some dream stories and thinking about some of my own. I realized that in some of my lucid dreams that were naturally long, it was only when the thought of stability crossed my mind, that the dream began to end. At that point, I fought as hard as I could to keep it going. Sometimes it worked but sometimes it ended. I was not always able to prolong it.

So, would one stabilization technique be to somehow NOT think about dream stabilization? Just to get more dreams that are naturally long and stable, instead of these ones that want to end every 5 seconds, and I have to fight for dear life to stay in it just long enough to do the stabilization tech itself!

I know this is nothing new but just wanted to put it out there to hear what other people think.
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)
https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/

CatDreamer22

Re: Paradox in Dream stability

Postby CatDreamer22 » 04 Apr 2018 02:39

You know, that kinda makes sense. Think about it, every night we go to sleep and have normal dreams, we NEVER think about dream stabilization because we don't know we're dreaming. That's probably why regular dreams always last so long. And probably why lots of lucid dreams are commonly so short. Because when we're finally lucid and all of your hard work has finally paid off, you want to protect what you're mind has created. So you think and constantly try to keep you're dream going, when really, trying to stabilize the dream itself COULD be the main cause of short lucid dreams. For example, in the lucid dreams where I have been able to fly for a decent amount of time, the only thing I ever thought about was performing my action. And every time I did think about dream stabilization. I would always get scared I would wake up. And that's usually what happens. So maybe when you go to sleep, it is best to keep those thoughts put away. That, or just make yourself think that waking up is extremely difficult.

LDer Charles

Re: Paradox in Dream stability

Postby LDer Charles » 04 Apr 2018 22:40

Thanks for your reply! Yeah. Stabilization has been funny for me so far. Its like, some lucid dreams are just stable without me trying. I just do some stuff and then I'll start to expect it to end soon. But the whole time it was stable, that thought had never entered my mind!

But then the other thing is some dreams like last night, I put a lot of dream time into just stabilizing or "deepening". But as soon as I stop stabilizing or "deepening" techniques, the dream ends! And sometimes it ends in the middle of me rubbing my hands or doing other stabilizing techniques.

I think I will keep trying to have an intention to have dreams that last long and remain stable on their own, without me even needing to think about it.

Also I think dream stabilizing techs are just symbols. So just like how in a dream, you could have symbolic things appear. On the surface, they look like one thing. But deeper than that is the emotion or feeling or deeper meaning of the symbol. So maybe its like for dreams, they don't care if I spin or rub my hands or rub furniture. The dream sees what's underneath those actions. So I could do any surface level action to stabilize a dream as long as the correct inner "sense" of stability is present. Its just a theory but I think it might help me fix this issue.

I think I started spinning or rubbing my hands in the beginning, and I had the correct "feeling" to go along with it, so it worked. But once I got used to those surface level actions working, doing what I expected, I started to take them for granted. I lost the "sense feeling" so they meant nothing to my dream. I wonder if I can rekindle that original "sense feeling" I used to have when doing those techinques.
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)
https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/

Return to “Dream Control Specifics”