How can I induce or recall dreams without visualisation?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
hyphenate

How can I induce or recall dreams without visualisation?

Postby hyphenate » 04 Apr 2018 12:15

I'm attempting to learn how to lucid dream off this site - it seems like a good resource. However, I'm aphantasiac and can't remember ever having a dream. How might I induce or recall dreams without the use of visualization?

LDer Charles

Re: How can I induce or recall dreams without visualisation?

Postby LDer Charles » 04 Apr 2018 18:47

Hi hyphenate! I didn't even know what aphantasia was until I read your post today. I researched a little on google. Did you know this website actually has a page about it?

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/cant-visualize-you-may-have-aphantasia.html

I don't know if your answer will be there. I have somewhat limited visualization ability myself. Like not 0% but not 100% either. This is mainly from brain damage caused to me at birth. Did you try skipping visualization, and going straight to your dream journal? Maybe it will come to you in words. I am not sure how it works so sorry if my theory is wrong.

Hopefully there is some way to remember your dreams. And maybe even some way to have your ability to visualize restored in some amount if you wanted. I hope that helps!
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)
https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/

hyphenate

Postby hyphenate » 04 Apr 2018 21:39

LDer Charles wrote:Did you know this website actually has a page about it?

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/cant-visualize-you-may-have-aphantasia.html

Yes, I've read the page. The problem might be that as thoughts, my dreams are impossible to seperate from normal consciousness (I don't know if this is the case), or it might be that I never wake up from dreams. Either way, I don't have any dreams to start a journal with.
If you can read this signature, do a reality check.

LDer Charles

Postby LDer Charles » 04 Apr 2018 22:14

Hmm. Well what I do to remember my dreams is stay still and think through them right when I wake up. Then once I form a mental picture, I either write them, or talk them out into a voice recorder, for the following day. I naturally wake up from dreams several times a night.

Do you experience imagery in dreams? I remember the article said some poeple still do even if they can't actively visualize.

Are you making an attempt to remember your dreams right as soon as you wake up? I find this to be really important.

My friend once mentioned this thing where when he attempts to think, sometimes nothing happens. I kind of have this too. It was weird because I never realized. But eventually I realized if I had to process an idea, I had to either talk it out loud or write, most of the time. It is weird because when I go in public I can't process complex things without talking out loud, but I am usually embrassed to do so.
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)
https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/

hyphenate

Postby hyphenate » 04 Apr 2018 22:24

Like I said, I'm not really sure whether I have imagery in dreams, as I've never remembered any, even on the occasions when I wake up much earlier than normal. Yes, I do try and remember them right after I wake up, but all I get are random thoughts that have nothing to do with dreams.
If you can read this signature, do a reality check.

Return to “For Beginners”