Facing my biggest Nightmare while trying WILD

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
LosFreakos

Facing my biggest Nightmare while trying WILD

Postby LosFreakos » 05 Apr 2018 08:24

So, this morning I woke up at around 4 AM after about 6 hours of sleep. I was unable to recall any kind of dream I had, it was like I didn't dream at all. So I just stayed in bed, trying to recall anything that could've happened.
Suddenly, something came to my mind. I remember having read somewhere on this forum that you have the best chance on pulling off a WILD after 4-6 hours of sleep. Since I didn't recall anything about my dreams, I was like "oh well, might as well try, I guess..." (fyi, I never seriously tried WILD before, but I know how it's supposed to work).
So I got into the corpse position, hands facing downwards (since I somehow can't relax my arms if they're facing upwards (I think in this case it's just called the "soldier" position then, right?)) and just let go of myself while trying to listen to the sound of silence (not the song, I mean the REAL sound of silence :) ). Some thoughts came to my mind and I just let them go without putting any more thoughts into them.
Then I started to feel the first effects. My arms and legs went a little numb, there was some heavy pressure on my chest, my breathing became shallow. The noise of my breathing got louder and louder, I could hear it crystal clear.

I think this is already pretty good for my first attempt! :D

Another thing that I could hear very loudly was the pulse of my heart... but something was putting me off. My pulse wasn't really calm, it was somewhere around 110-130 BPM, which I think shouldn't be the case. Is it normal that the heart beats faster and with more pressure when you get closer to sleep? Shouldn't it be somewhere around 60-80 BPM? I should mention that I remained calm throughout the process, I wasn't overly excited when all of this happened, which makes it a little weirder.
Anyway, I tried to stay calm, "maybe it'll leave soon". To bring my focus away from my body, I started imagining where my dream should go. I already created a beautiful scenery on the Scottish coast. Me, standing on a plateau, looking at the scenery that was crowded by small hills and cliffs. A little brick house standing on one of the aforementioned hills. A few sheep strolling around peacefully. In the distance is nothing but the Atlantic Ocean.
So I waited patiently for the hypnogogia to (maybe) settle in, but instead, something else happened. Something bad, something familiar.
Instead of a hypnogogic pattern, I received an effect that appears in my most common and most frightening nightmare. I already had this exact nightmare at least 10 times in my life, especially back when I was between 6-14 years old. When it arrived and when I noticed it, I went something like "aw jeez, not this again." I will also post the details to the nightmare in the Dream interpretation section, so if you have any theories on that dream you are (more than) welcome to post them there.
I can't fully describe the nightmare, it is too abstract, too confusing. Up to this day I am still not quite sure what happens in the dream. Everything is black. You literally can't see sh**. There seems to be absolutely nothing. Yet, somehow I feel the presence of something. It is not a creature, it's probably not an object either. It could be some kind of wall, though. A wall made out of... nothing? Dark matter? It seems to be somewhat distant, yet at the same time it feels so close. When it comes closer, it goes away at the same time. The thing that seems to be the size of a molecule surrounds me in the very next second. It looks like a solid, very massive... thing, though at the same time I have the feeling that I could lift it with one hand if I wanted to. My head gets all dizzy, it's like I'm falling into the wall and back. It has some sort of pattern printed on it, I just can't see it but I feel it being there. :shock:
I still had the chance to go out of all of this, so I did. After all of that, I had to go the toilet. I was all shaking and coughing at the same time. I can assure you that I'm not ill, though. I think that was just the shock that caused it.

Yeah... I can take some positives and some negatives out of this experience. In hindsight, I should've tried to manipulate the nightmare, maybe try to give it another colour like red or green to make it look at least a little more friendly. Or I should've gotten rid of that completely and think about something new. My fear just got the better of me in that moment. But I think it was a promising start, now that I know that I can technically pull off a WILD (although I'm rather focusing on MILD and DILD right now), now that I can believe in that, it gives me strength and hope for the future. :)
Are you sure you're not dreaming right now? :P

LDer Charles

Re: Facing my biggest Nightmare while trying WILD

Postby LDer Charles » 07 Apr 2018 22:17

Well, thanks for sharing that! I read your post. I don't have much in the way of advice but about the amplified heart rate, I've heard of that and experience it too. But, I heard that it's actually more of a perception thing than the actual heart rate increasing. Like I could go all day in socks that are too tight, but it's only when I finally lay down and take a rest that I realize these things are squeezing my feet like crazy. Its like a heightened awareness.

My sleep paralysis thing was an ominous feeling. Sometimes I heard cackling. Sometimes I had more pleasant experience of sleep paralysis though. I don't know what to make of "night terrors". They feel so intense and dreadful. The few times I relaxed during a "night terror" recently were really cool though. I heard a voice say, "Wow! A real dream state superhero!"
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)
https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 10 Apr 2018 20:13

LosFreakos,
I'm sorry you have be troubled by scary nightmares. Here are some suggestions.

If you are having strange, abstract experiences, such feeling like you are immersed in darkness, concentrate on breathing slow and steady, and if you have any kinesthetic sensation of body position or shape, just rest gently in your sense of self. Then you could mentally send thoughts to what ever unusual phenomenon which presents itself to you. Perhaps say, "Wow, you are really impressive and creative. I send you feelings of love and light. Whatever happens, I hope it is interesting.

This is an interesting article. - huffingtonpost.com - "Getting Rid of Repeating Nightmares: A Simple ..." - by Belleruth Naparstek

You could explore parts of "The Tibetan Book of the Dead" - holybooks.com - free pdf download

The strange inner world adventure includes a wealth of metaphorical imagery representing characters, sounds, voices, lights, etc., which attempt to distract the adventurer, but he is reminded to look for "The Radiant Light" - "The Higher Self" - The Source of being and the universe" - The ALL in all.

LosFreakos

Postby LosFreakos » 11 Apr 2018 10:50

Thank you both for your replies. ^^

@LDer Charles
Hmm... interesting that the fast beat is just caused by your own perception. I wonder how something like that can happen, because if the heart really beats slower than you hear it, what are those "fake beats" that don't actually happen? An echo in your head? The feeling of time accelerating? The thing is that I can really feel every single beat, whether it's "fake" or not. Anyway, I'm just glad to hear that I'm not falling into a dangerous condition everytime I try it. 8-)

@jasmine2
jasmine2 wrote:If you are having strange, abstract experiences, such feeling like you are immersed in darkness, concentrate on breathing slow and steady, and if you have any kinesthetic sensation of body position or shape, just rest gently in your sense of self. Then you could mentally send thoughts to what ever unusual phenomenon which presents itself to you. Perhaps say, "Wow, you are really impressive and creative. I send you feelings of love and light. Whatever happens, I hope it is interesting.

Yes yes, I tried to concentrate on my breathing when it happened. Trying to communicate with my vision is something that I haven't tried, though. However, I'll make sure to remember it. Thank you for tips and for the links as well, I'll check them out later.

Edit: You know what? I think I just noticed something. I have a theory that the "nightmare" I had could actually be my hypnogogia...
One reason why that could be the case is that I was not fully asleep when it happened, I was still able to get out of it without any trouble, it was not a dream (or at least not so far).
It was just some kind of dark wall with a changing pattern that scared me. This sounds a lot like something that could be seen when entering hypngogia, come to think of it. The dizziness could be the feeling of being pulled into the dream.
That would also explain why back when I was a kid this effect was sometimes accompanied by the sound of a bicycle bell or maybe the sound of a train rolling over the rails. The more I think of it, the more sense all of this makes.
All I have to do would be to embrace everything that's happening with a positive feeling and I would be pretty much good to go.
Now I sort of wish that I'll have a chance to see it again soon...

My my, now that would be something. That would solve one of the biggest mysteries in my entire life. :lol:
Are you sure you're not dreaming right now? :P

LDer Charles

Postby LDer Charles » 11 Apr 2018 17:07

I heard the heart beat thing mentioned in This video series.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL872CCEF527B70ED7

I forgot what video but he said it happens to him too and it could be a shift in the perception of how fast things are happening. But every time he got up to check if he was at like 150BPM, he turned out to be at a normal rate, 60-80 or whatever.
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)
https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/

Xiaome

Postby Xiaome » 11 Apr 2018 18:15

Youtube has a lot of interesting videos, but I know one guy who does a lot better :)

Return to “For Beginners”