Am I experiencing lucid dreaming?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
dodgegirl

Am I experiencing lucid dreaming?

Postby dodgegirl » 05 Apr 2018 18:24

Due to a crazy work schedule is am often in bed at 7pm. Sometimes, I feel as though I have woken up and become agitated because I need the sleep. But what confuses me is the things I have thought about are things that I would not have thought about while awake. I thought I was lucid dreaming according to a description of lucid dreaming on some particular website but am unsure.
Thanks for your time

LosFreakos

Re: Am I experiencing lucid dreaming?

Postby LosFreakos » 05 Apr 2018 19:52

Hello there,

Your description of the situation is a bit unclear, I'm afraid.

First of all, why do you think that you had thoughts in a dream that you wouldn't have in real life? Were those thoughts so abstract and out of character that they would only make sense if they were to exist in a dream? Can you give any specific examples of what you thought? Most of the things happening in (mostly non-lucid) dreams are subconcious, maybe your mind could be trying to tell you something.

Secondly, did you recognize that you were dreaming while you were in the dream? Were you a hundred percent sure that it was a dream? If not, then the dream wasn't lucid. What you described matches the definition of a "false awakening", where you wake up and find yourself in a bed, yet you're still dreaming. Keep in mind that a false awakening is not a lucid dream as long as you don't recognize that you are dreaming.

I hope I was able to help you. ^^
Are you sure you're not dreaming right now? :P

LDer Charles

Postby LDer Charles » 05 Apr 2018 22:20

So you are dreaming that you've woken up? and in your dream, you experience the frustration of being unable to sleep?

Or, you actually are struggling to sleep, but while you are awake, you are experiencing unfamiliar thoughts?

I don't think either of those are lucid dreaming. My definition of lucid dreaming is to be in a dream and know you're dreaming. Sometimes a dream can feel like you're in your physical, waking life, awake. But really its a dream.

If you know its a dream, then you're lucid. Otherwise its just a vivid dream.

If you actually are awake, having trouble sleeping, and are experiencing thoughts you are not normally used to, then that's not a lucid dream. I'm not sure what thats called but I am usually pretty familiar with my usual thoughts.

EDIT - oh and if you don't know if you're dreaming or not, then try to put your finger through your palm at those times. Or better yet look up "reality checks" and try some different ones. I know in dreams I experience lots of thoughts I don't often think when I'm awake. That's actually a good dream indicator too. Sometimes it feels like I have an entirely different brain, or I'm experiencing the brain of someone else.
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)
https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/

dodgegirl

Postby dodgegirl » 07 Apr 2018 22:00

LosFreakos wrote:Hello there,

Your description of the situation is a bit unclear, I'm afraid.

First of all, why do you think that you had thoughts in a dream that you wouldn't have in real life? Were those thoughts so abstract and out of character that they would only make sense if they were to exist in a dream? Can you give any specific examples of what you thought? Most of the things happening in (mostly non-lucid) dreams are subconcious, maybe your mind could be trying to tell you something.

Secondly, did you recognize that you were dreaming while you were in the dream? Were you a hundred percent sure that it was a dream? If not, then the dream wasn't lucid. What you described matches the definition of a "false awakening", where you wake up and find yourself in a bed, yet you're still dreaming. Keep in mind that a false awakening is not a lucid dream as long as you don't recognize that you are dreaming.

I hope I was able to help you. ^^

I am definitely dreaming of things that I would normally not be thinking of or do. As well during this state while I feel as though I am awake... definitely not dreaming. As well because of how I feel during the day tells me that I have actually got some sleep.

dodgegirl

Postby dodgegirl » 07 Apr 2018 22:02

LDer Charles wrote:So you are dreaming that you've woken up? and in your dream, you experience the frustration of being unable to sleep?

Or, you actually are struggling to sleep, but while you are awake, you are experiencing unfamiliar thoughts?

I don't think either of those are lucid dreaming. My definition of lucid dreaming is to be in a dream and know you're dreaming. Sometimes a dream can feel like you're in your physical, waking life, awake. But really its a dream.

If you know its a dream, then you're lucid. Otherwise its just a vivid dream.

If you actually are awake, having trouble sleeping, and are experiencing thoughts you are not normally used to, then that's not a lucid dream. I'm not sure what thats called but I am usually pretty familiar with my usual thoughts.

EDIT - oh and if you don't know if you're dreaming or not, then try to put your finger through your palm at those times. Or better yet look up "reality checks" and try some different ones. I know in dreams I experience lots of thoughts I don't often think when I'm awake. That's actually a good dream indicator too. Sometimes it feels like I have an entirely different brain, or I'm experiencing the brain of someone else.

Thanks for your input! I'm definitely going to try the finger/palm trick!

LDer Charles

Postby LDer Charles » 07 Apr 2018 22:16

dodgegirl wrote:
Thanks for your input! I'm definitely going to try the finger/palm trick!

Cool! I hope it goes well. Then you could find out for sure if those are dreams you're having, or if you're awake at those times.
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)
https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/

mjcaboose

Postby mjcaboose » 08 Apr 2018 09:29

Doesn't sound like lucid dreaming. When I lucid dream I clearly know that it's a dream. Sometimes I can force myself even yo wake up . I control many aspects of my dream. As I said in my other post , one time I shot myself but I was 100% sure that it was a dream and it wouldn't hurt me. That's lucid dreaming

Xiaome

Postby Xiaome » 11 Apr 2018 18:22

For the first time when I only realized my dream, I was very scared, and I immediately flew back

Return to “For Beginners”