The DONT'S of Lucid Dreaming - What's your Kryptonite?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
LucidCat

The DONT'S of Lucid Dreaming - What's your Kryptonite?

Postby LucidCat » 15 Apr 2018 10:37

This is all about situations, activities, habits, thoughts, mindsets, substances and whatever else that might diminish your lucid dreaming success.
I'm sure it's quite individual for everyone - and I want to invite you to share the things that you are trying to avoid in order to get more lucid dreams. And...
You could also write stuff that you rather avoid while being in a lucid dream.

Here are a few of mine:
- going to bed too late and therefore not getting enough sleep
- feeling stressed
- brooding
- phyisical inactivity
- excessive use of internet/tv (especially before bedtime)
Tell me briefly about your lucid dreaming journey :arrow: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20305

CARPE NOCTEM

LucidCat

Re: The DONT'S of Lucid Dreaming - What's your Kryptonite?

Postby LucidCat » 15 Apr 2018 15:20

DAYZMOND wrote:these problems listed are very common, and truly do impact your dream habits.

my Kryptonite, which varies depending on the situation, tends to be either trying to hard to induce a lucid dream (yes. totally possible.) or barely noticing that i am dreaming. when i say "barely noticing im dreaming." im describing the moment during a dream where i keep questioning my reality but cant seem to break through into a lucid dream.

any advice for someone trying to grip the lucid mindset?

Trying too hard
is a big issue for me too. Basically all of my wake induced lucid dreams happened when when I put absolutely no pressure on myself. Most of the time I wasn't even trying - and the one time I tried and it worked was a very easygoing thing - I just did what I did not giving a f*** if it actually works. And it worked.
On the other hand, my WILD failures always happen under pressure.
I have no answer yet on how to get into this particular mindset. Probably trying to get there is already the wrong approach. I'd highly recommend meditating/practicing mindfulness though - to get more relaxed and careless in a good way.
The lucid mindset in the actual dream is a total mystery to me - even though I do a lot of (mostly mindful) reality checks every day, I almost never do them in the dream. Sometimes I just know that I'm dreaming. I keep doing the RC's anyway - as they keep me questioning reality.
Tell me briefly about your lucid dreaming journey :arrow: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20305

CARPE NOCTEM

LDer Charles

Postby LDer Charles » 19 Apr 2018 19:01

Recently I "picked up" a few things that seemed to be detrimental to my lucidity. I was stuck in the habits for a few days. Today it seems to have set me free again and I've been meditating and journal-ing more. I binge watched some anime and played lots of video games. I think that all hurts my lucidity and dream recall for some reason, although I can't explain it. Also I don't seem to be able to control myself. I'm either binge watching/binge gaming or totally abstinent. I think it has to do with chemical reactions in the brain overpowering my rational mind. So once I am abstinent again I have to stay abstinent. (I guess)

But meditating feels better anyway
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)
https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/

LucidCat

Postby LucidCat » 19 Apr 2018 21:47

[quote="LDer Charles"]Recently I "picked up" a few things that seemed to be detrimental to my lucidity. I was stuck in the habits for a few days. Today it seems to have set me free again and I've been meditating and journal-ing more. I binge watched some anime and played lots of video games. /quote]
I'd be more concerned about the binge watching than the video games. Video games can induce lucid dreaming, as far as I am aware. But of course meditating is the more sensible choice. (I guess)

CARPE NOCTEM

CatDreamer22

Postby CatDreamer22 » 20 Apr 2018 00:01

For me, personal experiences is what makes me lose focus.

At times, I'm so busy that I can't even think about lucid dreaming. I completely forget about my techniques, record like 1 dream a week, and do very few reality checks.

That, along with losing motivation also messes me up. When I stop reading the World of Lucid dreaming articles, I forget the reason I want to lucid dream and I start getting lazier.

Both of these have been happening frequently lately and It's getting on my nerves. I just got over a sickness, and I'm running out of articles to read. How can I get back into lucid dreaming and put it on my mind more often?

CatDreamer22

Postby CatDreamer22 » 20 Apr 2018 00:03

LucidCat wrote:
DAYZMOND wrote:these problems listed are very common, and truly do impact your dream habits.

my Kryptonite, which varies depending on the situation, tends to be either trying to hard to induce a lucid dream (yes. totally possible.) or barely noticing that i am dreaming. when i say "barely noticing im dreaming." im describing the moment during a dream where i keep questioning my reality but cant seem to break through into a lucid dream.

any advice for someone trying to grip the lucid mindset?

Trying too hard
is a big issue for me too. Basically all of my wake induced lucid dreams happened when when I put absolutely no pressure on myself. Most of the time I wasn't even trying - and the one time I tried and it worked was a very easygoing thing - I just did what I did not giving a f*** if it actually works. And it worked.
On the other hand, my WILD failures always happen under pressure.
I have no answer yet on how to get into this particular mindset. Probably trying to get there is already the wrong approach. I'd highly recommend meditating/practicing mindfulness though - to get more relaxed and careless in a good way.
The lucid mindset in the actual dream is a total mystery to me - even though I do a lot of (mostly mindful) reality checks every day, I almost never do them in the dream. Sometimes I just know that I'm dreaming. I keep doing the RC's anyway - as they keep me questioning reality.

It's the exact same for me too. Both of my WILDs happened when I wasn't trying to induce a lucid dream.

LDer Charles

Postby LDer Charles » 20 Apr 2018 00:15

LucidCat wrote:I'd be more concerned about the binge watching than the video games. Video games can induce lucid dreaming, as far as I am aware. But of course meditating is the more sensible choice. (I guess)

Thanks LucidCat! Yeah I think the binge watching is especially deterimental because it takes the focus off myself and lowers my self awareness. That's what I came up with a little while ago anyway.

I've heard about the video games and LD thing too. Video games were said to actually help people get lucid and face the "villains" with more confidence. I hope that binge watching 2 seasons of DBZ super eventually has that effect :)

But today i didn't watch anything or play and games. Just journaled and meditated and did forums, along with "regular life". I feel good now.
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)

LDer Charles

Postby LDer Charles » 20 Apr 2018 00:27

CatDreamer22 wrote:For me, personal experiences is what makes me lose focus.

At times, I'm so busy that I can't even think about lucid dreaming. I completely forget about my techniques, record like 1 dream a week, and do very few reality checks.

That, along with losing motivation also messes me up. When I stop reading the World of Lucid dreaming articles, I forget the reason I want to lucid dream and I start getting lazier.

Both of these have been happening frequently lately and It's getting on my nerves. I just got over a sickness, and I'm running out of articles to read. How can I get back into lucid dreaming and put it on my mind more often?

Hi CatDreamer22! I don't know if this was directed at a specific person but I had some ideas that might help. If you're on the go a lot, and you have time when you can listen to the radio or music, try getting a LD audio book or free LD podcasts. There are several I could refer you to if you want to pursue that. There are also lots of interviews with well known LD authors and researchers available. So that could help.

Also there are lots of Youtube channels about LD which might help or just other websites and blogs with more content. I think it is a lot of similar stuff but hearing it in different words has helped me at times.

Also you could make voice recordings about your own personal favorite LDs to listen to when you're out and about too. And read other people's LD stories thats one of my #1 things too for staying motivated.

I just went through a few days when I didn't want to think abbout LD as much. But it came back to me. What got me back into it this time was stumbling upon threads about what the dream plane actually might be (mysterious explanations like interdimensional realms and stuff) that reminded me why I thought LD was cool to begin with. And the possibility of transferring flight/telekenesis skills to waking life which was always something I believed in.

I think when it gets too scientific or psychlogical that's when I lose interest. I need it to be magic. I got into LD for magic so I need to keep the magic in it.

CatDreamer22

Postby CatDreamer22 » 20 Apr 2018 04:24

Thanks! Stuff like that probably will help me stay interested in lucid dreaming.

And yes, recently I've been thinking about too scientifically and technically instead of making it fun. Lucid dreaming is all about fun, and without it, There isn't much of a point for lucid dreaming.

I want to enjoy my dreaming experience rather than consistently studying it, so thinking about it in a more magical way definitely helps too.

LucidCat

Postby LucidCat » 20 Apr 2018 07:25

LDer Charles wrote:But today i didn't watch anything or play and games. Just journaled and meditated and did forums, along with "regular life". I feel good now.

What makes you feel good is the right thing to do, in my opinion.

CARPE NOCTEM

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”