my LD experiences

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
jimmy

my LD experiences

Postby jimmy » 19 Apr 2018 09:32

Hi all!

I am a relative new-comer to the forum, I joined to help improve my abilities at LD. I first heard about it about three years ago when a friend told me about a study at my uni about the usefulness of LD in treating PTSD. From then, I started reading up about it and keeping a dream journal (although mostly in fits and starts).

I have experimented with most techniques, and have had no success with MILD and only partial success with WILD. Later I read about aphantasia, and I think I may have that as I don't really experience hypnagogia and have a hard time visualising things (although as I get closer to sleep images do start to run through my head). So since that self-diagnosis, I have tried WBTB which has worked a couple of times so far :)

Reading the forums, I found LucidCats journal, and it inspired me to copy that great idea (h/t LucidCats) and start a thread detailing my own experiences. I am really appreciative of any comments and advice you could give me along the way, thanks!
Last edited by jimmy on 19 Apr 2018 10:17, edited 1 time in total.
日有所思,夜有所梦

jimmy

Re: my LD experiences

Postby jimmy » 19 Apr 2018 09:44

LD #1

After many failed attempts, and restarting a dream journal the night before, I finally had a proper LD.

This happened on 20 March this year, via WBTB, taking Claridream Pro, and after watching the 'subliminal video' in the WOLD fast-track course.

As I fall asleep I see that I am driving to work back in Australia. As I am driving along I realise that I neither drive or live in Australia, so realise that I am dreaming and become lucid. I get really excited and go a bit crazy, try taking off into space, then quickly fall out of the dream.

All this lasted about 5 seconds (probably), and so I put my head back on the pillow... But then..

This time I wake up in my house because the cats are running around making noise. I go out to check on them, but then I take a closer look around and notice the cats are smaller than usual, and remember that I was just in bed trying to dream, so I become lucid. I almost dropped out but remember to rub my hands together and stay calm, and everything bursts into vivid colour. I go to the window and look outside, and there is a big square outside. I head out there and start talking to people and interacting with the world. My mind is so clear. I start to drop out several times, but each time I come back to lucidity through hand rubbing or yelling out 'clarity now!'. I walk down into a forest, and then think I will try to conjure up a dream 'me' just for fun. It comes up from the ground as a blob, starts to take shape, sputters, and turns into a robot with a blue and yellow sticker that says 'down for maintenance'. Noting the failure, I talk to another DC who is there eating icecream, who turns out to be an ex. We just walk and talk (can't remember what about) and eat icecream. Other details are kind of vague, I remember I had trouble looking up, I tried some basic flying, and I vaguely remember biting off one of the DC's head (not my ex's :P ) at some point.

This dream felt like it lasted a long time, maybe 10 minutes at a guess?
Last edited by jimmy on 19 Apr 2018 10:22, edited 5 times in total.
日有所思,夜有所梦

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 19 Apr 2018 09:51

LD (almost) #2

This happened on 29 March, after only recording one dream in my journal since the last LD. This was also WBTB, but no supplements. I didn't get fully lucid, but I count it because I was woken up by an alarm right as I was RCing :D

My wife and I are running through the airport on the way to Taipei but get delayed. There are some kids around and I am checking emails on the computer or something, and then suddenly we are in a big hurry to board. We jump into our car but then have to register it for parking. Then we drive it to the terminal and leave it somewhere along the way for some reason. We keep running through a maze of corridors which goes in and out of the terminal building. At one point, outside the building, we see NASA testing some new spaceships which look small enough to be drones, and the have laser pulses. We get hit by one but it does nothing to humans, apparently. Still running, and worrying about the time, I start looking around at clocks. There are about 4 or 5 in different places, all saying different times. I check my phone and it also says something different. That's the point where I realise I must be dreaming, and do an RC (poking my finger through my hands). As I start to become lucid, an alarm clock goes off and wakes me up :(
日有所思,夜有所梦

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 19 Apr 2018 09:57

LD #3 (semi lucid)

This happened on 12 April, also WBTB, also using claridream. I had trouble getting back to sleep though, as has happened on many of my previous attempts using claridream....

I'm at work punching in at the time clock (we don't have one though). After this I walk outside, we are all going outside to do some manual labour or something. Then I realise something is not right, and start to become lucid by focusing in on my surroundings. I decide I'm going to fly on out of there, and so take off at a super fast speed but start losing lucidity mid-flight. Tried rubbing my hands upon feeling lucidity dropping, but the rush from flying seems to have prevented it from working and I wake up.

So it seems I need to get over the excitement a bit, calm down and take in my surroundings before I try and do a superman :P
日有所思,夜有所梦

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 19 Apr 2018 10:12

Only had one or two memorable dreams in the last week or so, but I think I also haven't been sleeping enough. A few days ago I decided I would try and find a dream totem. I had been experimenting with using my cat as a dream totem, but I thought perhaps something else that I can carry with me all day long would be even better. So I had a rummage around the house, and found this, a present from my father-in-law:

It is a round wooden bead, about 5cm across, and the string loops into the belt loops on my trousers, and kinda sits in the pocket, which is great because I can always feel it rattling around and it sometimes pops out when walking along. Using this, I have increased my RCs tenfold! After three days I haven't encountered it in a dream yet, but then I also haven't remembered a dream either. At any rate, I had an idea, and would like to get someone's opinion on it...

is it possible to combine an RC with a technique for increasing lucidity?

with this totem, my trick is that, whenever I feel it I take it out and rub it in a circular motion with my thumb 4 times. My reasoning is that, the RC combined with rubbing and counting might possibly serve as a super-RC that also increases lucidity. Has anyone tried this kind of thing before? Do you think it would work?
日有所思,夜有所梦

LucidCat

Postby LucidCat » 21 Apr 2018 09:30

Hey Jimmy -
seems like you have made quite a big progress within a very short amount of time. I've just googled aphantasia and what I'm wondering is - does it only disable the visualisation part of imagination? Can you imagine acoustic, tactile, olfactory and other sensations? And how does it affect your visual memory?
Anyway - what you're doing right now seems to work for you, and that's great. When you do WBTB - do you just let yourself fall asleep or do you affirmations/meditation/mantras?
I'm unfamiliar with the subliminal video and I haven't checked out the WOLD-fast-track-course yet (does that work with binaural beats?)
And finally - how exactly do you procede with your totem? (which is really great by the way.... I might adopt that)
By increasing lucidity you mean stabilizing the dream and making it clearer?
Tell me briefly about your lucid dreaming journey :arrow: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20305

CARPE NOCTEM

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 22 Apr 2018 14:15

Hey LucidCat, thanks for your questions/comments! I'll address them bit by bit for the sake of clarity (something we all need more of, hey?) :)

Hey Jimmy -
seems like you have made quite a big progress within a very short amount of time.

So considering that I have been reading up and keeping a DJ on and off for around 3 years, I guess it's good to be getting some good progress finally (even had a full LD during a nap today, will write about that after this reply).

I've just googled aphantasia and what I'm wondering is - does it only disable the visualisation part of imagination? Can you imagine acoustic, tactile, olfactory and other sensations? And how does it affect your visual memory?

Interesting thing about this question - I was just thinking along those lines a couple of nights ago, about experimenting with imagining sounds -- I do have a pretty constant soundtrack in my head, and often get songs stuck in there... I wonder if it's possible to incubate a dream through sound or use a sound-based mnemonic device for LDing...?

So the reason I think I may have aphantasia is because if I try to imagine something, I don't get a picture anything. I can describe things (like, my cat is black and white, and has a little black mustache on his left side) but I can't *picture* it, if that makes sense? The only time I do get pictures of scenes or things in my head is when i'm right on the verge of sleep.

Anyway - what you're doing right now seems to work for you, and that's great. When you do WBTB - do you just let yourself fall asleep or do you affirmations/meditation/mantras?

All of my attempts in the past I have done a mixture of meditation and affirmations, starting with about 20-30mins meditating before sleep, and then using affirmations as I go to sleep. I also do around 50mins meditation in the afternoon after lunch listening to binaural beats and focusing on developing mindfulness. I think it may be working well too, as the last few LDs have come about by paying attention to details in the dream.

I'm unfamiliar with the subliminal video and I haven't checked out the WOLD-fast-track-course yet (does that work with binaural beats?)

This video is part of the course, I did a quick look on youtube but couldn't find that particular one (although it is an embedded youtube link so it'll be there somewhere). There are a bunch of subliminal videos that come up with a search though, and some of them use binaural beats too, although they aren't too long. That being said, I have used the video a bunch of times and it has only really worked once (in that I had an LD, and stuff from the video helped get my lucid)

And finally - how exactly do you procede with your totem? (which is really great by the way.... I might adopt that) By increasing lucidity you mean stabilizing the dream and making it clearer?

Ok so I keep it tied to a belt loop, and it sits in my pocket. When I put my hand in my pocket, or feel it in there, I take it out, look at it in my hand, become mindful of its texture, and then rub it with my thumb in a clockwise motion four times, counting out as I go. I figure something like that which becomes habit-forming will have a higher chance of featuring in a dream. However, it hasn't shown up in a dream yet, and I've only recalled one dream since I started using it which was my LD this afternoon. And yes, by increasing lucidity I meant stablizing the dream and making it clearer - rubbing my hands has worked every time for me so far, so the theory is that combining a RC with a stablizing technique might help increase the chances of it becoming an LD
日有所思,夜有所梦

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 22 Apr 2018 14:33

LD #4 (fully lucid)

This happened on 22 April, technically WBTB I guess as it happened during an afternoon nap. These past few days I have not been getting a full night's sleep after going out and drinking, so probably also getting the benefits of REM rebound. I was fully lucid in that I had full control over the dream, but details were not as vivid as when using supplements.

I find myself at the gym and I'm getting into the showers. After my shower I am getting dressed, and I notice that the socks I am about to put on are not the usual ones that I wear, and so I think that I must be dreaming. Remembering to keep calm, I do my RC (poking fingers into my hand), which works, and then I rub my hands together to stabilize the dream. Once stabilized, I was in a kind of office setting, and there were lots of DCs moving around, so I decided to interact with them. I asked basic questions like, 'do you know this is a dream?' which got a kind of nonplussed response from one of the characters. Another didn't believe me, so I told him I'd prove it by turning his mousepad into a bagel. I tried to perform the trick, but it turned into something else instead (i can't remember what), but the DC was impressed anyway. Then I tried to turn something else into a cow, but instead it turned into a magpie which then sat on my shoulder. At or around this time my eyes open up for some reason, and so the dream ended.

A few interesting things about this dream-- I hadn't written down a dream for 10 days, I had only a passing thought about LDing prior to this dream, and I had been really busy the last few days so didn't meditate or do much thinking about dreaming (although I had kept up with my totem and RCs, maybe 20 per day or so)
日有所思,夜有所梦

starsofclay

Postby starsofclay » 23 Apr 2018 12:49

You seem to be doing really well!

I love talking to dc's. Last night I got lucid, but at the time I was alone so I had to go find some dcs to talk to. I ended up finding an elderly couple on a bench, and asking them if they like me or are mad at me for making them.(yeah, that's where my head is at, haha.) the woman seemed to confirm that she was indeed not happy at her existence, although she was somewhat hesitant to answer, but her husband seemed pretty indifferent.

I ended up spinning to try and change location, but all it did was spawn new dcs, who each had some kind of punishment for me, for not being a better person/god. One of the punishments was a huge hemorrhoid that he told me was cancer.... Ended up slipping into a storyline again with lucidity brimming on the surface, and at one point i said, "i'd like to wake up now" and I did.

Like you, i can't keep steady with a dj.... I don't know why..... but I think being in these forums and posting dreams works almost just as well

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 25 Apr 2018 06:52

Hey starsofclay,

thanks! great story about DCs - I haven't had much experience interacting with them, that last dream was really the only time I'd actively gone and given it a try. But it was a lot of fun, I can see why you enjoy it so much :D

but I think being in these forums and posting dreams works almost just as well

You're right, the forum definitely works to keep LDing in the front of the mind, which no doubt helps spawn more LDs. But I also haven't been recalling many (if any), or where I do recall them it will be a few vague recollections that come to mind after being awake for a few hours. Would like to be able to remember more dreams, lucid or otherwise
日有所思,夜有所梦

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”