Dream recall help

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
deanh89

Dream recall help

Postby deanh89 » 20 Apr 2018 11:53

I've been trying to have my first lucid dream and been practising for around 3 weeks. I've been doing reality checks throughout the day and writing dreams down every morning. My dream recall got better, from remembering zero dreams before I started to remembering 1 every morning, but recently I havnt been able to remember any the last 3 mornings. I've noticed others are remembering a few dreams every night. I'm just wondering am I going wrong somwhere or if there are any tips to help?

erichsa

Re: Dream recall help

Postby erichsa » 20 Apr 2018 15:10

I've been trying to have my first lucid dream and been practising for around 3 weeks. I've been doing reality checks throughout the day and writing dreams down every morning. My dream recall got better, from remembering zero dreams before I started to remembering 1 every morning, but recently I havnt been able to remember any the last 3 mornings. I've noticed others are remembering a few dreams every night. I'm just wondering am I going wrong somwhere or if there are any tips to help?

Eager Beaver in time your recall will improve. keep on studying, but do it gently. When I have a night with bad recall I note it in my dairy and think more often about during the day, why I am pursuing Lucid Dreaming. I also use a voice recorder if I want to be sure not to forget dreams. I would say due to my age I tend to forget my dreams Quickly, hence the voice recorder.
Our Website also has a lot of free information.
Persist without force and you should win. :)

starsofclay

Postby starsofclay » 20 Apr 2018 16:32

don't beat yourself up over it...

My recall and awareness seems to go in cycles... could be the moon, not sure. I was doing so good and recalling in full detail anywhere from 1 to 4 dreams per night, then last weekend it suddenly dropped to 0, with no awareness during the dreams at all. Since then, it's been slowly building again, and had two nice full dreams last night with good awareness and somewhat good recall.

I also wonder if during times our body is healing from something, like a mild cold that we weren't aware of, or an infection, if this affects it. I did have a bad infection in my finger a couple weeks ago and had to go on antibiotics, and that is when the awareness and recall started dropping off, so who knows.

LDer Charles

Postby LDer Charles » 20 Apr 2018 18:38

TL;DR version = Waking life recall + must do dream recall immediately upon awakening

Have you heard of "waking life recall"? Its where you write about your day either at the end of the day or intermittently. The idea is to practice your memory by seeing what you can remember about your day of waking life.

I have been practicing waking life recall pretty much every day for months and I also always remember dreams. So that might be something worth trying if you're not already.

Another important thing is that dream memory tends to slip away as soon as we wake up. (At least for me) So try to make dreams the very first thing you think of upon awakening. As soon as you realize you're in your physical bed, don't even open your eyes. Don't think about work or what you're doing tomorrow or anything. Go straight to "What did I just dream?" You have to really know that you just dreamed. Like this morning I thought I was going to draw a blank, but I kept trying, and within a minute or two, one detail came back from the dream, which opened up the whole dream.

Also I remember most of my dreams at around midnight, 2 AM, and 4 AM. Maybe 6 AM I get some trickling in. So if you're only doing dream recall once the suns up you could be missing lots of REM cycles that occur throughout the night. I wouldn't recommend using an alarm though. But just start to notice if you have any "micro awakenings" through the night since most people are said to have a breif awakening after every REM cycle. So if you set an intention to be aware enough, you could use those moments to recall some dreams. Then make some notes so you will remember them in the morning and go back to bed. (Or just use a voice recorder in your bed if you don't wanna move much)

But my experience with dream memory has been I need to recall and record them immediately upon awakening or else they fade away.
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)
https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/

deanh89

Postby deanh89 » 20 Apr 2018 19:56

thanks for all the comments I'll try them :D

Spooly1

Postby Spooly1 » 25 Apr 2018 18:25

deanh89 wrote:I've been trying to have my first lucid dream and been practising for around 3 weeks. I've been doing reality checks throughout the day and writing dreams down every morning. My dream recall got better, from remembering zero dreams before I started to remembering 1 every morning, but recently I havnt been able to remember any the last 3 mornings. I've noticed others are remembering a few dreams every night. I'm just wondering am I going wrong somwhere or if there are any tips to help?

practice makes perfect my friend, I've had really vivid dreams all my life I can remember dreams from being about 5 years old. Your doing well

deanh89

Postby deanh89 » 27 Apr 2018 10:53

practice makes perfect my friend, I've had really vivid dreams all my life I can remember dreams from being about 5 years old. Your doing well[/quote]

Thanks, still havnt had a lucid dream yet, but a couple of days ago I woke up and rememberd 3 dreams, some days are better than other when remembering them. Just looking forward to finaly having a lucid dream.

CatDreamer22

Postby CatDreamer22 » 27 Apr 2018 13:50

Remembering more than one dream a night is usually pretty rare for me. Of course, it happens occasionally, but I'ts normally either one or none.

I've gone almost a full week before without remembering my dreams, and I've had 5 lucid dreams in total so far! So just know that you're in a pretty good place right now. What's happening to you is completely normal. It's totally ok if you don't remember a dream every single night.

I'm sure you'll get lucid very soon. Keep up the good work, and good luck on your first lucid dream! ;)

deanh89

Postby deanh89 » 27 Apr 2018 17:03

CatDreamer22 wrote:Remembering more than one dream a night is usually pretty rare for me. Of course, it happens occasionally, but I'ts normally either one or none.

I've gone almost a full week before without remembering my dreams, and I've had 5 lucid dreams in total so far! So just know that you're in a pretty good place right now. What's happening to you is completely normal. It's totally ok if you don't remember a dream every single night.

I'm sure you'll get lucid very soon. Keep up the good work, and good luck on your first lucid dream! ;)

Thanks very much for the info, hopefully it will happen soon :)

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”