Problems with WILD

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Datme

Problems with WILD

Postby Datme » 22 Apr 2018 14:46

Hello guys

So I am pretty new to lucid dreaming and I got my first lucid dream a couple of days ago. This happened by accident through sleep paralysis so I guess it's a WILD.

Now I've been trying to WILD again intentionally but I can't seem to get into the sleep paralysis / dream.

What I do is:

- Wake up 5 - 6 hours after going to bed
- Turn off alarm making sure I'm a little bit awake but not too awake
- Lay on my back, just gazing in the darkness
- Focus on the sensations when they arise

After that nothing really happens. I won't get any sleep paralysis or anything and I just lay there for like 40 minutes (I'm not really sure how long I actually lay like this because I won't check the time). I do have the sensation that my legs and arms become heavy and somewhat paralyzed and sometimes I get visuals of what I think are dream places (for examples a beach) but still I won't get a lucid dream.

There are a few things that do bug me when I do this technique:

- I get a lot of saliva or my throat is dry and I have the urge swallow
- Sometimes I feel like I'm about to fall and I get a tingling feeling in my belly but then nothing happens
- Sometimes thoughts pop up but previous night I could easily just let them pass

I have tried the technique now for only 3 times so maybe I'm a little bit impatient. :lol:

LDer Charles

Re: Problems with WILD

Postby LDer Charles » 24 Apr 2018 00:14

Hi Datme! According to what I've heard, it sounds like you're doing everything right. I don't know why its not working. But I guess just keep at it, and go for MILD, DILD or DEILD in the mean time. I found DILD and DEILD to be the most accessible LD methods to me. And I always incorporate MILD into any technique I'm doing.

I relate a lot to the swallow reflex and the dropping in feeling and all that. I tried so hard at WILD for weeks and weeks and couldn't quite get there. You got it all down pat down to the tming and everything.

If it gets too be too annoying and you're just not having success with WILD, definitely see if you can "let go" for a little while. And not try so hard at it. I had to "let go" of WILD eventually. I only try it if the timing feels just right and even then I don't get WILDs.

I figure if it just isn't in the cards this month, maybe I'll start another series of WILD attempts later in the year, when I have more meditation and other LD experience under my belt. And see how it goes.
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)
https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/

Datme

Postby Datme » 24 Apr 2018 14:46

LDer Charles wrote:Hi Datme! According to what I've heard, it sounds like you're doing everything right. I don't know why its not working. But I guess just keep at it, and go for MILD, DILD or DEILD in the mean time. I found DILD and DEILD to be the most accessible LD methods to me. And I always incorporate MILD into any technique I'm doing.

I relate a lot to the swallow reflex and the dropping in feeling and all that. I tried so hard at WILD for weeks and weeks and couldn't quite get there. You got it all down pat down to the tming and everything.

If it gets too be too annoying and you're just not having success with WILD, definitely see if you can "let go" for a little while. And not try so hard at it. I had to "let go" of WILD eventually. I only try it if the timing feels just right and even then I don't get WILDs.

I figure if it just isn't in the cards this month, maybe I'll start another series of WILD attempts later in the year, when I have more meditation and other LD experience under my belt. And see how it goes.

Hey Charles! Thanks for the advice! I wanted to try MILD first but WILD looked more interesting to me for trying LD. However I've never thought of combining WILD with MILD, DILD and DEILD.

I am going to do some research on it right now and yes like you said if WILD doesn't work right now then I have to let it go for a while.

I think that DEILD is beneficial to me, since I have a pretty good dream recall. When I wake up early in the morning to test WILD I have one dream which I immediately vividly remember and when I wake up to get out of bed.

Let's see which results it will bring! :lol:

LDer Charles

Postby LDer Charles » 24 Apr 2018 22:15

Datme wrote:
Hey Charles! Thanks for the advice! I wanted to try MILD first but WILD looked more interesting to me for trying LD. However I've never thought of combining WILD with MILD, DILD and DEILD.

I am going to do some research on it right now and yes like you said if WILD doesn't work right now then I have to let it go for a while.

I think that DEILD is beneficial to me, since I have a pretty good dream recall. When I wake up early in the morning to test WILD I have one dream which I immediately vividly remember and when I wake up to get out of bed.

Let's see which results it will bring! :lol:

You're welcome Datme! I think DEILD is similar to WILD in that you enter the dream consciously from the waking state. Only, in WILD, you're entering the dream from being fully awake, and going through evry sleep phase. Where as in DEILD since you just had a "dream exit" (woke up from dream) you are entering a dream from being awake but you are only a few steps away from a dream.

Thats great that you are vividly remembering a dream in the morning. Keep going! :)
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)
https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/

Return to “For Beginners”