Tired of try to sleep and it not happen :(

Do you suffer a sleep disorder? Find support on sleep paralysis, night terrors, recurring nightmares, sleep deprivation and more.
LDer Charles

Tired of try to sleep and it not happen :(

Postby LDer Charles » 29 Apr 2018 12:32

:( Tired of try to sleep and it not happen :( I feel like with lucid dreaming I want to sleep so I can dream each night. Insomnia really seems to mess up my lucidity for even the following night or 2. But sometimes it gives REM rebound. Sometimes its so annoying just laying there, awake. Doubting sleep will come. :( :( :( :( I have to get used to sad face :( :( :( :( :(
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)
https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/

LosFreakos

Re: Tired of try to sleep and it not happen :(

Postby LosFreakos » 29 Apr 2018 16:14

Hmm, I've had some similar problems with falling asleep when trying to hard, but not every night. Poor guy. :(
Anyway, I'm not sure why exactly you're unable to fall asleep, so here are some general things that you could try:

1. If you can't sleep because you're lost in thought, try to get rid of them for a moment, just clear your mind and concentrate on your breathing. Then, when some thoughts come back to your mind, don't try to fight them, just let them play out. Eventually, you will stop noticing anything else and slowly fall asleep.

2. If you can't sleep because you concentrate too much on anything around you (It can be anything ranging from sounds to visual stuff to trying to fall asleep ASAP to get another shot becoming lucid to concentrating on your body. I have that a lot, I can't fall asleep when I concentrate on my breathing or when anything starts to itch every 5 seconds) and you really can't put it aside, try a "reshut" as I like to call it. You go out of your bed, you stand up for 1 or 2 minutes, swing your arms or slightly shake your head for a little bit or stretch your arms and legs a little and then go back to bed. You can also turn your pillow if you have the feeling like it's getting too warm to fall asleep in. It's like when the tech support asks "did you try to turn it off and on again?" but instead you're doing it vice versa. You're basically giving yourself a second chance of falling asleep.

3. Do you make sure that you don't eat or drink sugery stuff before going to bed? That can always keep you awake for quite a while. I, for example, go to bed at about 10:30 PM-ish and try not to consume anything except still water after 8 PM but you would have to experiment with that.

4. Do you take naps in the afternoon? I don't, because that always keeps me awake at night for a good amount of time. I made a little rule for myself: Naps are only allowed when they happen at least 8 hours before going to bed for the night, anything later than that would be counter-productive. Again, you would have to experiment, since everyone reacts a little bit different on that matter.

Those are just some ideas coming off the tip of my head. I had some other ideas, but I forgot some of it just now. I hope it helps you fall asleep faster. ^^
Are you sure you're not dreaming right now? :P

LDer Charles

Re: Tired of try to sleep and it not happen :(

Postby LDer Charles » 01 May 2018 22:35

LosFreakos wrote:Hmm, I've had some similar problems with falling asleep when trying to hard, but not every night. Poor guy. :(
Anyway, I'm not sure why exactly you're unable to fall asleep, so here are some general things that you could try:

Thanks Los Freakos :)
1. If you can't sleep because you're lost in thought, try to get rid of them for a moment, just clear your mind and concentrate on your breathing. Then, when some thoughts come back to your mind, don't try to fight them, just let them play out. Eventually, you will stop noticing anything else and slowly fall asleep.

Well sometimes I can fall asleep even with thoughts.
2. If you can't sleep because you concentrate too much on anything around you (It can be anything ranging from sounds to visual stuff to trying to fall asleep ASAP to get another shot becoming lucid to concentrating on your body. I have that a lot, I can't fall asleep when I concentrate on my breathing or when anything starts to itch every 5 seconds) and you really can't put it aside, try a "reshut" as I like to call it. You go out of your bed, you stand up for 1 or 2 minutes, swing your arms or slightly shake your head for a little bit or stretch your arms and legs a little and then go back to bed. You can also turn your pillow if you have the feeling like it's getting too warm to fall asleep in. It's like when the tech support asks "did you try to turn it off and on again?" but instead you're doing it vice versa. You're basically giving yourself a second chance of falling asleep.

Thanks. Yeah, I shouldn't stay there too long if I can't sleep. Getting up and moving a little sounds smart. I also don't want to give up too soon though. Once I almost gave up, but said well hang in there, and the next thing I knew I had woken up!

3. Do you make sure that you don't eat or drink sugery stuff before going to bed? That can always keep you awake for quite a while. I, for example, go to bed at about 10:30 PM-ish and try not to consume anything except still water after 8 PM but you would have to experiment with that.

Oh yeah I pretty much finish eating by 6 or 7. Then wait until morning to eat again.

4. Do you take naps in the afternoon? I don't, because that always keeps me awake at night for a good amount of time. I made a little rule for myself: Naps are only allowed when they happen at least 8 hours before going to bed for the night, anything later than that would be counter-productive. Again, you would have to experiment, since everyone reacts a little bit different on that matter.

Naps are tricky. I listen to sleep doctor Rubin Naimin who says that when sleepiness comes during the day we should welcome it. But I do notice that if I sleep in one morning or nap then insomnia might follow. I wonder why I feel tired during the day though if its a bad time to sleep. I only feel a need for a nap once in a while. Also sometimes its if I didn't get enough sleep the night before. Since its just making up for last nights missed sleep it shouldn't cut into tonights sleep. ALso if I nap I sometimes would get more dreams in the first 3-4 hours of sleep.
Those are just some ideas coming off the tip of my head. I had some other ideas, but I forgot some of it just now. I hope it helps you fall asleep faster. ^^

Thanks :) I slept a little better the last 2 nights. Hoping the insomnia is over. I heard somewhere that sleep debt is beneficial for lucid dreaming. I wonder if its because it would make me more "guaranteed" to fall asleep if I tried to, at any given time. But I never listened to it because I thought it sounded dangerous.
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)
https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/

Return to “Sleep Disorders”