Sudden drop in dream recall ability?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
User avatar
LosFreakos
Posts: 25
Joined: 29 Mar 2018 07:59
Location: The Internet

Sudden drop in dream recall ability?

Postby LosFreakos » 03 May 2018 13:23

Heyo,

The last few days have been a little bit... bothersome to me. In the last two weeks, my dream recall hasn't been too great, at most one dream per night and those were not very detailed/vivid. Now, I really wouldn't make such a fuss about it if it wasn't for the fact that, compared to the first half of April, my dream recall has decreased quite considerably. Back then on pretty much every other day I could remember two to three dreams in great detail without having to try too hard.
Yes I know, "There are times when your dream recall can be better and also times where it can be worse". But I dunno, two weeks seem like a pretty long period to me. I have not changed a lot since then, I still fill my dream journal day after day, I do my RCs frequently, I even try to meditate sometimes (not that often, but I do it when I find the time for it). My sleep quality or schedule hasn't changed, nor has my position. It's not like I'm severely worried or anything, I just think it's rather odd. It came without a warning, and it's staying a little longer than I anticipated. :|
Can I hear some of your experiences when you suddenly lost a big part of your dream recall ability and when it eventually came back or what you did to bring it back to where it was? Doesn't have to be experience, I'm up for any sort of advice that you have. :D
I think there has to be something that I can do about it (not considering the stuff that I already do).
Are you sure you're not dreaming right now? :P

User avatar
CatDreamer22
Posts: 55
Joined: 10 Feb 2018 05:08
Location: Texas

Re: Sudden drop in dream recall ability?

Postby CatDreamer22 » 03 May 2018 13:44

Wow, you used to normally remember 2-3 dreams per night? That's crazy, I only remember 1 dream per night now a days, and even then I only get like 3-4 dreams recorded a week.

Honestly, where you are right now is fine, you shouldn't be worried. I'm not at good dream recall right now and I've still been getting lucid dreams.

Most of the time, it's one dream per night but I sometimes get more than 1 and they are vivid. That usually happens on Friday nights and Saturday mornings.

Mostly, what I recommend is keep doing what you're doing. You could just be getting unlucky, and your good recall may start to come back soon. So don't worry, what you're experiencing right now is what I pretty much experience every night.

User avatar
LDer Charles
Posts: 291
Joined: 09 Oct 2017 13:40

Re: Sudden drop in dream recall ability?

Postby LDer Charles » 06 May 2018 02:47

LosFreakos wrote:Heyo,

The last few days have been a little bit... bothersome to me. In the last two weeks, my dream recall hasn't been too great, at most one dream per night and those were not very detailed/vivid. Now, I really wouldn't make such a fuss about it if it wasn't for the fact that, compared to the first half of April, my dream recall has decreased quite considerably. Back then on pretty much every other day I could remember two to three dreams in great detail without having to try too hard.
Yes I know, "There are times when your dream recall can be better and also times where it can be worse". But I dunno, two weeks seem like a pretty long period to me. I have not changed a lot since then, I still fill my dream journal day after day, I do my RCs frequently, I even try to meditate sometimes (not that often, but I do it when I find the time for it). My sleep quality or schedule hasn't changed, nor has my position. It's not like I'm severely worried or anything, I just think it's rather odd. It came without a warning, and it's staying a little longer than I anticipated. :|
Can I hear some of your experiences when you suddenly lost a big part of your dream recall ability and when it eventually came back or what you did to bring it back to where it was? Doesn't have to be experience, I'm up for any sort of advice that you have. :D
I think there has to be something that I can do about it (not considering the stuff that I already do).

Hi LosFreakos! Thanks for this question. I really appreciate it because I went through this alot. My dream recall would decrease for no apparent reason, and I would be frustrated or concerned.

Some things I did that brought it back: 1) I converted all my typed-up dreams to MP3 (using text to speech) and listened during the day. For some reason this would sometimes give me lots of recall the following night. Why... I'm not sure maybe it kept me focused on the "part" of my brain where the dreams came from?

(I have not done that one in a while and my dream recall seems to have gotten a little lower. So I might try it again soon and put it to the test.)

2) Did you start using a fan when it got hot? Of course this is pretty unavoidable because if not for the fan it would be too hot. But I noticed the last few nights where I needed a fan, I wonder if the noise drowned out some of my dream recall.

3) I would lose my dream recall when I picked up a detrimental habit. So if I started consuming something detrimental that had an adverse affect on my ability to concentrate. I would start to notice a decline in dream recall. to give an example, I binged on dragon ball super a few weeks back, hoping it would make me dream about being Goku all the time. However I think it actually over stimulated my brain and I would wake up obsessing over dragon ball super, having a hard time bringing my mind to dreams.

4) It could just be a fluke. In hind sight I think I catastrophized too much at a night or two of lesser dream recall, and I would make alot of reactionary changes. When if I just hung in there I might have naturally returned to my dream recall levels... I have had a tendency to catastrophize over many things in my life and usually I would have been fine if I didn't catastrophize.

5) Waking life recall! I almost forgot. At the end of your day, try to review your day, as if it were a dream you just woke from. Wen I do this I am usually surprised at how the memories come back. Its not as easy as I thought!

6) Here is my massive dream recall playlist. I gathered every dream recall video I could from youtube. (Probably still some I missed!)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZIKuWDFjxonvh5KntQaOUQiN7rW8EK3L

So maybe just throw that on shuffle and see if any of it helps. At the very least, my idea was that brain washing myself with dream recall videos would... Brain wash me into more dream recall! :D

I hope this helps! :)
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)
https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/

User avatar
LosFreakos
Posts: 25
Joined: 29 Mar 2018 07:59
Location: The Internet

Re: Sudden drop in dream recall ability?

Postby LosFreakos » 08 May 2018 09:46

Thank you two! ^^


@CatDreamer Well, not every night. I said 2-3 dreams every other night, but I guess that's still quite decent to say the least. :lol:
And also it's not about the fact that it's at most one dream per night, I'm completely fine with that. The only odd thing is the sudden dropoff, that's it.
Am I unlucky? I don't really think so, I am certain that this has a reason. Then again, my dream recall has been pretty good again in the last two nights, so let's hope this will continue. :D



@LDer Charles Thank you for your advice!

1) Sure, I can definitely try that. I have a text-to-speech program on my PC and all my dreams are already written down in standard text files, so I can just copy/paste it. That's no problem at all.

2) Right now, I don't need to use a fan. It's warm, but not hot. Also I never use fans at night, only at daytime. Air conditioners shouldn't be a problem as well, since I don't have something like that in my room.

3) Hmm, interesting. I have a little bit of an obsession with Formula 1 (watching the races, playing the game, always being up-to-date, stuff like that). It works for me, though, I dream a lot about F1. Just today I dreamt of racing the Australian GP in the league I participate in. It felt so realistic, especially when my teammate (who is also my RL teammate) and I were side by side, battling for position in the rain. Guess it's different for every person.

4) A night or two of lesser dream recall is no big deal, but this went on for almost two weeks. Also I don't think I catastrophized. It could be that I thought about it too much, though. I didn't change too much since I didn't really know what to change.

5) That's a really good idea, I should've about that. That might certainly help.

6) That sure is a massive playlist, thank you!

Also, I saw you mentioning "micro-awakenings" a few times lately. This might be the key to remembering more than one dream per night. Maybe I already used them without knowing and then just somehow didn't anymore. :idea:
Are you sure you're not dreaming right now? :P

User avatar
LDer Charles
Posts: 291
Joined: 09 Oct 2017 13:40

Re: Sudden drop in dream recall ability?

Postby LDer Charles » 08 May 2018 22:50

[quote="LosFreakos"][/quote]


Cool! Thanks LosFreakos. Well I'd be interested to know what helps bring up your dream recall. Yeah are you dream jouranling through the night or just the morning? If I waited until morning I'd often have nothing. So many of my dreams are between like my 4th and 7th hours of sleep.
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)
https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/

User avatar
LosFreakos
Posts: 25
Joined: 29 Mar 2018 07:59
Location: The Internet

Re: Sudden drop in dream recall ability?

Postby LosFreakos » 09 May 2018 07:46

LDer Charles wrote:Cool! Thanks LosFreakos. Well I'd be interested to know what helps bring up your dream recall. Yeah are you dream jouranling through the night or just the morning? If I waited until morning I'd often have nothing. So many of my dreams are between like my 4th and 7th hours of sleep.


I try to write into my dream journal whenever I remember anything from a dream. If I wake up in the middle of the night and remember something, I'll write it down. If not (and yes, I actively try for several minutes), then I just go back to sleep or try a technique. However, it can happen that I try to remember a dream, yet before I can get all the details together and be able to write them down I accidentally fall asleep again. That occurred to me a few times and it's somewhat frustrating since in most cases I then lose my memories about that dream.
Are you sure you're not dreaming right now? :P

User avatar
LDer Charles
Posts: 291
Joined: 09 Oct 2017 13:40

Re: Sudden drop in dream recall ability?

Postby LDer Charles » 09 May 2018 23:58

LosFreakos wrote:
I try to write into my dream journal whenever I remember anything from a dream. If I wake up in the middle of the night and remember something, I'll write it down. If not (and yes, I actively try for several minutes), then I just go back to sleep or try a technique. However, it can happen that I try to remember a dream, yet before I can get all the details together and be able to write them down I accidentally fall asleep again. That occurred to me a few times and it's somewhat frustrating since in most cases I then lose my memories about that dream.


Oh yeah. I definitely get those. Staying still to think of the dream details then back asleep! oops. I'm lucky in a way because I usually need the bathroom so I would have that force me to get up a little, which would then give me enough energy to record before falling back to sleep. But I've had dreams I fall back asleep recalling most nights. I just write in my DJ "fell back asleep recalling some dreams and forgot them" but sometimes I will be able to re-remember the detail next time I wake up.
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)
https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/

User avatar
LosFreakos
Posts: 25
Joined: 29 Mar 2018 07:59
Location: The Internet

Re: Sudden drop in dream recall ability?

Postby LosFreakos » 16 May 2018 12:56

@LDer Charles
So, after about 10 days, I'd say that number 5 works best for me. I try to remember everything I did right before going to bed, and since then I remember at least one dream every morning (Althogh today was a bit shaky, but I got it together after 5 minutes and wrote it down immediately :D ).
However, I can't say that number 1 and number 6 didn't help, I'm just not quite sure how big of a role they really played, but I'll make sure to use them frequently as well. Thank you very much! ^^
Are you sure you're not dreaming right now? :P

User avatar
LDer Charles
Posts: 291
Joined: 09 Oct 2017 13:40

Re: Sudden drop in dream recall ability?

Postby LDer Charles » 21 May 2018 23:38

LosFreakos wrote:@LDer Charles
So, after about 10 days, I'd say that number 5 works best for me. I try to remember everything I did right before going to bed, and since then I remember at least one dream every morning (Althogh today was a bit shaky, but I got it together after 5 minutes and wrote it down immediately :D ).
However, I can't say that number 1 and number 6 didn't help, I'm just not quite sure how big of a role they really played, but I'll make sure to use them frequently as well. Thank you very much! ^^


Thanks LosFreakos for the update. Sorry it took me a while to reply. Waking life recall is probably one of the top tips out there for boosting dream recall. It helped me in alot of indirect ways too, such as seeing how to live with more clarity. I didn't do it for a week or two, then just started again. I can tell it helps in many ways even beyond just its effect on dreaming.

I just write every detail of the day I can think of, as thoroughly as possible. If I miss a night I will catch up the next morning. I also started to do waking life recall during the day, like every couple of hours if I can make the time. This way I don't have to rush it at night. Another tip with waking life recall is don't stay up late doing it. Try to end your day earlier and then make enough time for waking life recall, before your normal bedtime. This way you're not cutting into your sleep. That was one thing I noticed, I wanted to have just as busy of a day and then realized I left myself no time for waking life recall and I was already exhausted. So I started doing it earlier.
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)
https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/


Return to “For Beginners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest