Dream journal - detail, functions?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Jah Soldier

Dream journal - detail, functions?

Postby Jah Soldier » 06 Aug 2012 21:04

Apologies if there is a thread for this elsewhere, I'm new to the forum and tried searching but couldn't find anything.

My question is how much and what kind of detail do you include in your dream journal and in what ways do you use it?

I have only been writing mine for just over a month but have done so very consistently. I write a couple of lines before sleep about the day, my state of mind before bed (e.g. tired, relaxed, high), the time and anything I might be listening to as I go to bed (e.g. music, binaural beats). If I only recall vague ideas or images when I wake I will write as much (i.e. any) detail as I can, if it's a more vivid dream I tend to write half a page on average (more if more vivid/lucid) mainly describing the events, people, conversations rather than detail about colours etc (unless particularly unusual). At the end of my first month I counted instances of lucidity, missed opportunities, day residue and wrote a page summary of trends/themes I had noticed and noted benchmarks and targets for the following month.

Is there anything else anyone would suggest?

Thanks
Row, row, row your boat
gently down the stream
merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily
life is but a dream

torakrubik

Re: Dream journal - detail, functions?

Postby torakrubik » 06 Aug 2012 23:21

When i record dreams, i often fill several pages per entry because i write down every detail. This isn't necessary, but it is, in my opinion, more useful. I make sure to include my feelings in the dreams, and quotes from myself or dream characters if possible. Occasionally it is easier to sketch things rather than describe them (i'm no artist but even a simple sketch is very helpful). Then every so often I will look through past entries and try to identify dream signs recurring in my dreams.
Dreaming is my drug

Denmonation

Re: Dream journal - detail, functions?

Postby Denmonation » 07 Aug 2012 06:51

Write down everything you remember. I don't use complete sentences or anything remotely resembling proper grammar, but I make sure that every detail gets on paper. It sends a good message to your brain that dreaming is important to you, and that will help you become lucid in the future.

And don't worry about page length. Sometimes your dreams are abstract and require a bit more explanation, sometimes they're straightforward and easy to put into words. Language is very clumsy so sometimes your more vivid or longer dreams that you remember more will take up less space in your journal.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”