Hi everyone, I'm excited to start talking to people about lucid dreaming

Drop a line here to introduce yourself! Let us know your background, where you're from in the world, your lucid goals.
NathanAnthem

Hi everyone, I'm excited to start talking to people about lucid dreaming

Postby NathanAnthem » 16 May 2018 08:08

Hey, my name is Nathan and I've never talked to anyone about lucid dreaming before. It seems so personal to me and embarassing to talk about with others. I love that this a community of people who are all passionate about the art of lucid dreaming and so I thought I'd try joining up.
I've also got a lot to learn from people who have been lucid dreaming for a while now.

I've been trying to lucid dream for about 2 months. 4 days ago my hard work finally paid off and I had my first lucid dream. It was amazing. I've since learned that trying too hard to have more will result in me having no dream recall. So for the past 3 nights I've remembered nothing of what I've been dreaming. I'd love for some insight as to how to get over this small dry spell, as I'd LOVE to strengthen my ability to lucid dream further. Once just simply wasn't enough.

Looking forward to talking to all of you :)

naturespirit

Re: Hi everyone, I'm excited to start talking to people about lucid dreaming

Postby naturespirit » 16 May 2018 08:31

Welcome to the forum! :)
Out of curiosity, where did you learn about over-trying? In my opinion, you should reality check often (and mindfully), record your dreams, and occasionally WBTB, but obviously there could be an issue with mindlessly slamming one's hands together over a 100 times a day! Meanwhile, we would love to hear about your first lucid!
Proffesor of Oneiromancy

[b]Learn about lucidity:
https://dreamstasia.wordpress.com/

NathanAnthem

Postby NathanAnthem » 16 May 2018 09:10

Of course :) *sorry for long response, I've just got so much to explain and ask about*
When I got my first lucid dream (I'll explain it after this) I went online to sites like 4chan and reddit to see other peoples experiences and compare mine to them. I did this for 3 days, during which every night I did the same thing I did on the night I got my first lucid dream. These were the nights I had no dream recall whatsoever. Among the comments was someone who straight after their first lucid dream also had no dream recall the following nights. Someone replied to them explaining that trying too hard to lucid dream again while still being a beginner will actually hinder your ability to dream. If that information is actually incorrect (which it probably is if a pro lucid dreamer says it is) then I'd love some tips on how to get back into that wonderful world I found myself in a few nights ago :)

My first lucid dream actually only lasted for what seemed like 5 minutes. Basically I was in a dark room with no windows or doors, and a grid texture along all the walls. It was dark but I could still see everything, and I had no fear. I thought this was strange and then I got a little excited thinking "this could be a dream". I performed my reality check where I ask "where am I? what am I doing? and how did I get here?". Then even though at this point I was certain I was in a dream, I still wanted to finally see what it was like to put my finger through my palm (something I do after every reality check in the waking world). My hand became invisible, but again, I wasn't afraid. I was so happy to finally have achieved this after what seemed like forever, but I calmed myself because I would hate to wake up this early into this experience. I focused on my still invisible hand and thought "be visible again". Poof, my hand came back. I played around with this, removing everything but my skeleton on my hand, or just making the small around around my finger go invisible so it really did look like my finger was going through. This sort of thing would normally really freak me out but again, I had no fear. It was so amazing.
I knew that I should look for some dream signs since this is the most vivid dream I've ever had, but all that was around me was an empty, dark room. So I thought about spawning a door, and imagining a world on the other side of it. I held out my hand and a blue beam of light shot out, and I all of a sudden had control over where to place a door (like I was playing the sims, or garry's mod). I played the door and woke up. Then I woke up again.

I know now that I had a false awakening due to me losing lucidity because I wasn't interacting with anything or using more of my senses in the dream.

Since then I've been trying to follow the same steps I took to lucid dream the first time. I block blue light for hours before I go to sleep, I don't eat hours before bed, my mantra that worked was just "lucid dream lucid dream lucid dream" and I meditated with the "4-7-8" breathing technique. On top of that I've been keeping a detail dream journal and doing regular RC's. If you have any tips on how to start dreaming again I would love to hear them :)

Also, now that I've had a lucid dream, will it be easier to have more?

LDer Charles

Postby LDer Charles » 16 May 2018 10:12

Hi NathanAnthem! Welcome to WOLD :)

Congrats on your first LD. Sounds like a very cool one!

I would say time just takes time. I started doing dream recall and became aware of lucid dreaming in 2012. I didn't know all the stuff you know at that time. I only found out about the stuff you are doing in like Sep of 2017. Since then, I had ~150 LD's (my DV count is out of date) I believe this was aided by a foundation of a few yrs of dream recall.

So my recommendation is to really just make it a part of your life, and be in it for the long haul.

For dream recall, look for micro awakenings after a cycle of REM sleep. I naturally (without alarm clock) find myself awake a few times a night after a REM cycle. At those times I will stay still and try to access my memory of what I just dreamed. Sometimes the memory takes some time to even begin to access. Other times the memory is right there. I can mentally "see" one scene of the dream in my mind, then "unravel the thread" and get the whole picture of a dream in my mind, mentally. Once it is "solified" in my mind, I will record it, by writing or voice.

I believe it is important to recall dreams in this way: As much as possible and as SOON as possible after waking. Get up and use the bathroom? It could be all gone by then. If you're gonna need to go #1, at least try to stay still a moment to get ONE dream memory. With ONE dream memory you have a better chance of unraveling the rest.

JOKE: If you have a dream you really want to remember, don't even get up. Just wet the bed, and keep recalling it. JUST KIDDING!!!

So keep participating in forums asking Qs and eventually you will even be able to help beginners too which will reinforce your practice even more. I hope you stick around and enjoy :)
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)
https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/

NathanAnthem

Postby NathanAnthem » 16 May 2018 11:48

Thanks so much, LDer Charles :)

I actually haven't been writing my dreams as soon as I remember them, I normally wait until I'm a bit more awake. I'll definitely start writing them down the second they're in my brain now. I'll squeeze it out if I have to ;D

Also, is it good to read and remember old dreams from your dream journal during the day or before you go to bed?

LDer Charles

Postby LDer Charles » 21 May 2018 23:22

NathanAnthem wrote:Thanks so much, LDer Charles :)

I actually haven't been writing my dreams as soon as I remember them, I normally wait until I'm a bit more awake. I'll definitely start writing them down the second they're in my brain now. I'll squeeze it out if I have to ;D

Also, is it good to read and remember old dreams from your dream journal during the day or before you go to bed?

Hi NathanAnthem. Sorry it took me a few days to reply. About recalling them right when you wake up - Yeah, I think you'll have a better chance of remembering them more if you do them right upon awakening. Like @Sean Jacobs said in your other thread.

As for reviewing your old dream journals - I think this is a very good thing to do. I did it alot up until 4-6 wks ago. Since then I have had trouble getting myself to do it so I just said, well, I'll do it again when I'm willing to. I think its really effective because I notice when I read my own dreams, its way different from reading other peoples dreams. Its a totally different experience, like my dreams are a different brand than anyone elses, and I bet other dreamer feel the same way about their own.

I even made my dreams into mp3 to listen back to them.

If you are newer, it will be a little easier to review all your dreams. For me, sitting down to read one of my nights of dreams is gonna be a while as many are over 3,000 words. Because I'm perfectionistic and I think in terms of "All or Nothing" it makes it hard for me to get started on it!

I hope this habit returns to me and I will gain a new interest in my past dreams once again. Reviewing your dream journal will help you with dream signs, recalling more dreams because you'll get a feel for what your dreams feel like, and will just be enjoyable in itself. It will keep you connected to the wonder of the experiences you've had.

You're welcome to ask me any Q's you want to! I usually check this site a little more often and update my DJ in my sig daily.
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)
https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/

Return to “Introduce Yourself”