Had my first lucid dream, but now I don't have any dreams. Please Help.

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
NathanAnthem

Had my first lucid dream, but now I don't have any dreams. Please Help.

Postby NathanAnthem » 16 May 2018 10:10

Hi everyone, :)
I've been trying to lucid dream for about 2 months. 4 days ago my hard work finally paid off and I had my first lucid dream. It was amazing, but for the past 3 nights I've had no dream recall. The last dream I remember was my lucid experience, but every night after it I've had no dreams. I'd love for some insight as to how to get over this small dry spell, as I'd LOVE to strengthen my ability to lucid dream further.
If anyone has any tips for me to start dreaming again I'd really appreciate it. I'm also new to this community but so far it's been really nice being surrounded by such awesome people who all seem so eager to help others. I hope to do the same when I get better at lucid dreaming, but I'll definitely need your help :)

Notes:
I RC often throughout the day, I meditate before bed and during when I'm trying to sleep, I don't eat or expose myself to blue light hours before bed and I visualise things as I'm falling asleep.

LosFreakos

Re: Had my first lucid dream, but now I don't have any dreams. Please Help.

Postby LosFreakos » 16 May 2018 12:36

Hey Nathan,

Ugh, I almost had the same thing a few weeks ago, my dream recall was suddenly nonexistent for about two weeks, so I made a post too in which I asked for some advice. LDer Charles then came up with some really good advice that truly helped me get back on track, so I think it might help you too. I'll just quote what he said:

LDer Charles wrote:Some things I did that brought it back: 1) I converted all my typed-up dreams to MP3 (using text to speech) and listened during the day. For some reason this would sometimes give me lots of recall the following night. Why... I'm not sure maybe it kept me focused on the "part" of my brain where the dreams came from?

(I have not done that one in a while and my dream recall seems to have gotten a little lower. So I might try it again soon and put it to the test.)

2) Did you start using a fan when it got hot? Of course this is pretty unavoidable because if not for the fan it would be too hot. But I noticed the last few nights where I needed a fan, I wonder if the noise drowned out some of my dream recall.

3) I would lose my dream recall when I picked up a detrimental habit. So if I started consuming something detrimental that had an adverse affect on my ability to concentrate. I would start to notice a decline in dream recall. to give an example, I binged on dragon ball super a few weeks back, hoping it would make me dream about being Goku all the time. However I think it actually over stimulated my brain and I would wake up obsessing over dragon ball super, having a hard time bringing my mind to dreams.

4) It could just be a fluke. In hind sight I think I catastrophized too much at a night or two of lesser dream recall, and I would make alot of reactionary changes. When if I just hung in there I might have naturally returned to my dream recall levels... I have had a tendency to catastrophize over many things in my life and usually I would have been fine if I didn't catastrophize.

5) Waking life recall! I almost forgot. At the end of your day, try to review your day, as if it were a dream you just woke from. Wen I do this I am usually surprised at how the memories come back. Its not as easy as I thought!

6) Here is my massive dream recall playlist. I gathered every dream recall video I could from youtube. (Probably still some I missed!)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZIKuWDFjxonvh5KntQaOUQiN7rW8EK3L

So maybe just throw that on shuffle and see if any of it helps. At the very least, my idea was that brain washing myself with dream recall videos would... Brain wash me into more dream recall! :D

I hope this helps! :)

Especially number 5 helps me a lot, I do it every night before I go to bed.
Hope it helps! ^^
Are you sure you're not dreaming right now? :P

NathanAnthem

Postby NathanAnthem » 16 May 2018 12:52

Oh nice I was just talking with LDer Charles before :)

Thanks so much for showing me this, I'll definitely start to implement these in my LD practices.
Number 5 actually does seem like it would really help as well. I definitely trying that out :)

Thanks again :D

Sean Jacobs

Postby Sean Jacobs » 16 May 2018 14:38

LDer Charles gave some great advice. I will add a bit more.

Everyone dreams every night. However, we rarely remember our dreams unless we wake up right after the dream ends and make a conscious effort to remember it.

Set your resolve prior to going to sleep that you will wake up after each dream. As you are laying in bed getting ready to drift off to sleep repeat a statement, and really mean it: Example "I will wake up after each dream and remember that dream!" Do this every night that you want to remember your dreams. When you wake after the dream, don't move just try to remember your dream in reverse. Start with the end of your dream and work your way backward as far back as you can. Now do something to record your dream: make some notes with key points of the dream, use a recording device to record some information, etc.

I hope this helps.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

NathanAnthem

Postby NathanAnthem » 17 May 2018 00:46

Thanks Sean, I'll try that tonight for sure. I still didn't remember my dreams from last night so hopefully this trick works :)
It's amazing that we can tell our brain what to do just by willing it

LDer Charles

Postby LDer Charles » 21 May 2018 22:15

LosFreakos wrote:

Thanks for quoting me! I read back through it too. Glad it helped.

NathanAnthem wrote:

Yep, @LosFreakos really said it. Time just takes time. Sean Jacobs said a really good part too. Gotta do recall like right after a REM cycle for best results. That's exactly what I do. I don't use any alarms, just natural awakenings from REM.
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)
https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”