Some questions about lucid dreaming...

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Clandestine

Some questions about lucid dreaming...

Postby Clandestine » 20 May 2018 18:20

I'm new to lucid dreaming and haven't successfully done it yet... But I'm really excited for my first time, which is why I want to ask a few questions that I haven't found the answers to yet, even after tons of researching.

1. My first question is, are lucid dreams fully immersive? Are you able to feel, see, hear, taste and taste exactly on the same level as real life and be fully conscious?

2. Related to my first question, when you are dreaming and you become aware you are dreaming, do you just suddenly snap into consciousness and sense the world around you?

I have been keeping a dream journal and doing multiple techniques for 3 days now and I have noticed, at least I think, that I'm starting to dream about lucid dreaming. I don't think I'm lucid but what I mean by dreaming about lucid dreaming, is that I'm performing actions that you would if you were aware that you're dreaming. For example, in one dream, I was in a grass field and I tired to think about spawning a horse and it being there in front of me. Another time I looked in a mirror and I saw a figure that I thought was me but it was all blurry, the dream was all blurry in general. But I think I know in the dream that when I looked in the mirror, I would see the embodiment of my self conscious. And one time, I think I told some characters that they were in a dream but I was in no way conscious of what I was doing. I think it's because of all the research I've been doing and my mind is just using what it heard but it's not actually my conscious self doing it.

3. Are dream characters disfigured or do they look like real life/average people?

4. I have done some research and I heard that it's common for people to wake up from their first lucid dream because they get excited. How do you prevent this from happening?

LucidCat

Re: Some questions about lucid dreaming...

Postby LucidCat » 22 May 2018 00:30

Hello and welcome to the forum, Clandestine.
1. Yes, they can be fully immersive - depending on your level of lucidity. You can also sense smell, movement, balance, temperature and even pain (even though many people don't experience pain in dreams) Sometimes the senses are even more clear and intense than in real life.
2. The feeling of becoming aware is thrilling, especially for beginners, but you sometimes don't get the immediate clarity and awesomeness - it might be blurry, you might not be able to control yourself, you might lose your awareness too quickly or wake up. But as you get more advanced you get better at making your dream clearer or at stabilizing it, and then you literally snap into consciousness and experience everything as you would in real life - or even better.
3. Dream Characters can be anything/anyone and have any look from totally bizarre to plain boring. My dream characters look pretty normal most of the time. Think about the characters you encounter when you have non-lucid dreams - they're not any different than the DC's in lucid dreams. Actually also animals and inanimate objects can be dream characters - if you choose interact with them... or not.
4. I don't think you can consciously prevent this from happening. It just happens - and that's okay. With more lucid dreams happening you'll learn how to control your excitement. Meditation and relaxation could help you on the way.

I personally think you're very close to your first lucid dream. Keep on going!
Tell me briefly about your lucid dreaming journey :arrow: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20305

CARPE NOCTEM

LDer Charles

Postby LDer Charles » 22 May 2018 06:37

Clandestine wrote:I'm new to lucid dreaming and haven't successfully done it yet... But I'm really excited for my first time, which is why I want to ask a few questions that I haven't found the answers to yet, even after tons of researching.

Hi Clandestine. Welcome to lucid dreaming!

1. My first question is, are lucid dreams fully immersive? Are you able to feel, see, hear, taste and taste exactly on the same level as real life and be fully conscious?

This has varied for me from dream to dream. Sometimes I have had alot of taste sensation with dream food, for example. Other times, its like card board! Also, the amount of consciousness varies. once you start experiencing them for yourself, that will be the best research. Alot of my early LD's were very unstable, just realized it was a dream, had a few moments, and woke up. Some of my LD's have been really immersive and stable though. Also, my non-lucid dreams became more vivid too.

2. Related to my first question, when you are dreaming and you become aware you are dreaming, do you just suddenly snap into consciousness and sense the world around you?

Again this is where your own experience will teach you the most. Sometimes its gradual for me. Like I slowly notice a few things and then have a very gentle "oh, its a dream" realization. Other times, yeah its more instantaneous. I will usually already have been doing something, just non-lucid, so I already had some consciousness, just not awareness that it was a dream.

I have been keeping a dream journal and doing multiple techniques for 3 days now and I have noticed, at least I think, that I'm starting to dream about lucid dreaming. I don't think I'm lucid but what I mean by dreaming about lucid dreaming, is that I'm performing actions that you would if you were aware that you're dreaming. For example, in one dream, I was in a grass field and I tired to think about spawning a horse and it being there in front of me. Another time I looked in a mirror and I saw a figure that I thought was me but it was all blurry, the dream was all blurry in general. But I think I know in the dream that when I looked in the mirror, I would see the embodiment of my self conscious. And one time, I think I told some characters that they were in a dream but I was in no way conscious of what I was doing. I think it's because of all the research I've been doing and my mind is just using what it heard but it's not actually my conscious self doing it.

That's a good sign! Do you feel conscious at those times, but the actions seem "normal" to you? I remember having a false awakening and doing telekinesis and it seemed so second nature to me. I wasn't lucid. In another non-lucid I was fairly conscious of my actions, as if it were waking life. I flew, and didn't realize it was a dream, even though I could fly. So thats totally possible.

Another thing that happens is people start dreaming about people talking about LD without being lucid. I will think I'm suddenly in an LD convention or something and hearing LD stuff. I think it's a sign of progress.

3. Are dream characters disfigured or do they look like real life/average people?

It can be anywhere on the continuum of that. I had one dream where the people's faces were blacked out, after hearing an mp3 saying that dreams can't render faces. But before and after that I have had many dreams with dream figures with faces like most people in waking life. Other times facial features could be anything. One time someone had a really long tongue and a wide mouth. Another time I had only one nostril. Another time my HS math teacher had only one eye, in the middle of her head! And another time in the mirror, my head was pear shaped. Lots of such examples, so it can definitely vary. Just keep dream journaling and you'll see :)

4. I have done some research and I heard that it's common for people to wake up from their first lucid dream because they get excited. How do you prevent this from happening?

My #1 answer for all your questions is that your own experience will give you the best answers. You'll become lucid and feel what it's like. I got excited and kind of panicked, not knowing what to do. I didn't think of my dream goals I had set while awake. I noticed something in my dream environment and had an impulse to explore it, so followed that. And kinda woke up. But it was still cool, just to have that.

I've had success with Dream Stabilization techniques. The first ones I was taught were rubbing my hands and spinning. These are in most books and articles. When you become lucid, you just rub your hands, or spin in circles. Michael Raduga also talks about "deepening" which is going around and rubbing the walls or feeling the surfaces of everything.

Meditation during the day also helps because it will keep you overall calmer and more collected which will help in the lucid dream state. Some people even meditate within their LD to generate stability.

There are also other techniques that you might find. Like I once found that if I blinked very rapidly in the dream state, it made it stay stable. But most people would say that will wake them up due to eye movement. So be careful with that one. I only did it once, but in that dream, it worked really great.

Its alot of information and new ideas. I hope you start getting your own LD's so you can really see what its like, for yourself. But like Eckhart Tolle says the words are kind of just pointers, in this case to your own lucid dream state, which is in some ways beyond words.
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)
https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/

apeng

Postby apeng » 25 May 2018 22:39

Here is an informative documentary about lucid dreaming. It explores the positives and negatives of lucid dreaming, and is well suited to this forum.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WmZ37JPeiqW4RwazvSAovumW7HGHFYkW/view?usp=drive_web

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”