Need help understanding a phrase:)

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
LucidInTheSky

Need help understanding a phrase:)

Postby LucidInTheSky » 24 May 2018 19:43

Hello, I'm new here and I need help in understanding something as me and my friends trying to know everything we can to master the lucid dreaming.
So we have been reading many articles and came across this:

"If you go around consistently abusing dream figures, be prepared for the consequences, as ultimately you are only taking advantage of part of yourself!"

We didn't really understand what "be prepared for the consequences" mean or should I ask what are the consequences?
If you can help us understand it would be much appreciated.
Meanwhile I'm trying my best to learn with other people about lucid dreaming, so thanks for reading this have a good day.;)

Sean Jacobs

Re: Need help understanding a phrase:)

Postby Sean Jacobs » 24 May 2018 21:18

Hello LicidInTheSky (great, and very creative, name) and welcome.

I'm not sure where this quote originated, but I can try to explain it. People have differing opinions regarding dream state. Personally I believe that dreams are a completely biologically natural process which happens exclusively in our brains. Dreams are a combination of chemical and electrical reactions which cause us to have mental constructs of a false reality. It is possible that this is an evolutionary development which helps us to process memories, deal with problem solving, or they may just be a side effect of the REM stage of sleep which keeps the brain active during sleep cycles. So, in my opinion, dream characters are just virtual constructs which exist only in your mind. Therefore if you are cruel to them it will have no impact to "them" (as they do not exist as a separate entity) nor will it impact you as they exists only as thoughts in your mind/brain.

There are other people who feel that dreams have some supernatural qualities, such as your soul leaving your body and traveling to another spiritual realm where other souls exist. From this perspective being cruel to dream characters would be harming independent, living, intelligent entities. If this is the case those entities, or other entities, may attempt to harm you in return. Or you may be punished for your cruelty in some afterlife.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. To me I wouldn't worry about harming a dream character any more than harming a video game character.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

LucidInTheSky

Re: Need help understanding a phrase:)

Postby LucidInTheSky » 24 May 2018 21:30

Sean Jacobs wrote:Hello LicidInTheSky (great, and very creative, name) and welcome.

I'm not sure where this quote originated, but I can try to explain it. People have differing opinions regarding dream state. Personally I believe that dreams are a completely biologically natural process which happens exclusively in our brains. Dreams are a combination of chemical and electrical reactions which cause us to have mental constructs of a false reality. It is possible that this is an evolutionary development which helps us to process memories, deal with problem solving, or they may just be a side effect of the REM stage of sleep which keeps the brain active during sleep cycles. So, in my opinion, dream characters are just virtual constructs which exist only in your mind. Therefore if you are cruel to them it will have no impact to "them" (as they do not exist as a separate entity) nor will it impact you as they exists only as thoughts in your mind/brain.

There are other people who feel that dreams have some supernatural qualities, such as your soul leaving your body and traveling to another spiritual realm where other souls exist. From this perspective being cruel to dream characters would be harming independent, living, intelligent entities. If this is the case those entities, or other entities, may attempt to harm you in return. Or you may be punished for your cruelty in some afterlife.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. To me I wouldn't worry about harming a dream character any more than harming a video game character.

Thanks for replying!
Your answer is very helpful and I was happy to read it and hear you opinion.
Again thanks for reading and answering my post, I love this name as well :).

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”