hi from an unintentional astral projector

Drop a line here to introduce yourself! Let us know your background, where you're from in the world, your lucid goals.
dizzygillespie

hi from an unintentional astral projector

Postby dizzygillespie » 28 May 2018 18:50

i've stumbled across this forum while researching what the heck has been happening to me. the night of april 15th i flew out of my body twice while 'sleeping' and i've been researching astral projection ever since. i say unintentional because i had no idea what it was until it happened.

i was laying in my bed the last thing i remember was counting backwards from 200 to try to get back to sleep. this has helped me in the past, it seems that sunday's i wake up and i'm unable to fall back asleep. i felt energy, like vibrating through me and i held up my hands to see if i could actually see the energy, and sparks were flying. then all of a sudden i flew out of my body like i was shot out of a cannon. I hit the ceiling and looked down to see me and my partner on the bed. i was screaming at him for help and he of course couldn't hear me. i started flailing and eventually it snapped me out of it and i fell back down into my body. it wasn't pleasant, i was scared and had no idea what happened. twice more that night it happened but with a loud PING or like a guitar string pluck i flew out again. i held on to my partner's arm after that hoping it would anchor me to the bed.

the next day i read all about astral projection and OBE's. naturally, i'm a very sensitive person and i've always remembered very clear dreams. my mom thinks i have some psychic ability, not sure if this is a factor.

i am here today as last night when i was having difficulty falling back asleep (sunday again) i felt those vibrations that i felt before the last time i flew out so bad that my bed was shaking. i kicked my leg to snap out of it and it happened a few more times before i woke my husband up to put his arm on me. no idea if that actually stops anything but the vibrating stopped.

is there a way to stop this or perhaps control it a bit more? i'm interested in this type of thing but not sure how it just sporadically happened to me. after reading about it i guess some people would welcome this experience but for now it's a little stressful.

thanks. i'm happy to answer questions or chat

Petal

Re: hi from an unintentional astral projector

Postby Petal » 29 May 2018 01:09

Hi,
What you are describing seems very familiar to me as I had similar involuntary experiences when I was a teen. It can be very frightening and stressful and I sympathise. What you are describing are typical OBE or astral experiences as I know them. However, this is a lucid dreaming forum and many people here believe there is a distinct difference. Some will even go as far as to say, OBE’s and astral projection are not real and your experiences are simply sleep disturbances that happen commonly in hypnagogic state of consciousness. The hypnagogic is a transitional state of wakeful consciousness that preludes deep sleep. It is well know to be the cause of many “hypnagogic hallucinations” very similar to your experiences. Both deliberate lucid dreamers and astral projectionist use this state to initiate lucid dream experiences or more controversially, to project oneself outside the body.
Some will tell you that because you are aware of the concept of OBE’s from media/film/TV your mind is recreating what you have consciously or even subconsciously taken an interest in or have associate yourself with. This is a kind of “You get what you expect” (or deserve), sort of argument. The fact that you write that you are “sensitive” and your mother thinks you may be psychic will only confirm to some, that your the sort of person who may believe in all sorts of supernatural nonsense. Therefore making yourself more likely to suffer sleep disturbances as a result. Some people will dismiss you and your experiences as semi lucid at best and at worst ignorantly fanciful. I will not, as I think lucid dream theory only partially explains what I have myself experienced. The sensations and visualisation do frequently seem more real than waking reality. I write at this time, to spare you, the arguments for and against astral viability, as such discussions won’t help you, if you simply want the experiences to stop.

That all being said, how you prepare for sleep and your beliefs about your own sleep will effect the quality of it. It does seem that you need to reevaluate your beliefs about what you mean by being sensitive, dreams, OBE’s and your aspirations about how you sleep. Maybe you need to read up here http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/astral-projection.html , if you haven’t already. If you are confused and/or even mildly curious about what you believe about dreaming your subconscious will play with such ideas in your semi dreaming state. The counting backwards may have had actually caused you to get stuck in between sleeping and waking states. To avoid sleep disturbances, you want to avoid the hypnagogic state as much as possible. It seems obvious to write, but you want to go straight from being awake into a deep state of sleep. To do this well, you must learn to recognise and accept no in between states.

It’s good practice to set an intention before you go to bed about the kind of sleep you wish to experience. For example if you want to sleep deeply, rest both your body and mind and wake up refreshed with no memory of dreams at all, you need to set that intention before you close your eyes. A simple good sleep affirmation should do the trick. Something like “Tonight, I shall sleep deeply and dreamlessly and wake up refreshed, well rested and ready for the day ahead.” A proper winding down or grounding bedtime routine will also help. Here is a nice video example of a good evening routine for restful sleep. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iK9n4CYLNlo
Then when you are feeling yourself get sleepier but still mildly conscious you must reaffirm your intentions for deep sleep. Instead of counting, try to visualise something deeply restful like as if your a fairytale princess deeply and silently asleep in a safe forest or your a ancient stone statue that has been warmed under many years rays of a subtle Mediterranean sun. (Choose something you like, of course) Sometimes it’s better to wake yourself up fully from feeling uncomfortable vibrations and try again after a few minutes doing something like reading a book. After some practice you can learn to know when your not satisfyingly asleep and can tell yourself that the state of sleep is not good enough and to go deeper. Other times if you feel rested but still not asleep, you can tell yourself, well okay I’m content, enjoying the visualisation and after a couple of minutes of exploring and explaining this visualisation I’m going to sink deeper into proper sleep.

Failing that and if you are still experiencing sensation of floating, shifting or odd sounds within you body, you might find some “grounding” exercise helpful. I go to tai chi classes so know a few simple “closing” mediation moves and postures that help me. However, I’m sure any slow gentle exercise stretches or massage will be enough to focus your mind securely into your physical body and help rebalance your mind/body energy relationships. Sometimes visualising the exercises is enough to send me to sleep without actually doing them.
I hope this helps, kindly, Petal.
Anyhow, Kind Regards. I hope to see you about...

LDer Charles

Postby LDer Charles » 29 May 2018 18:31

dizzygillespie wrote:i've stumbled across this forum while researching what the heck has been happening to me. the night of april 15th i flew out of my body twice while 'sleeping' and i've been researching astral projection ever since. i say unintentional because i had no idea what it was until it happened.

i was laying in my bed the last thing i remember was counting backwards from 200 to try to get back to sleep. this has helped me in the past, it seems that sunday's i wake up and i'm unable to fall back asleep. i felt energy, like vibrating through me and i held up my hands to see if i could actually see the energy, and sparks were flying. then all of a sudden i flew out of my body like i was shot out of a cannon. I hit the ceiling and looked down to see me and my partner on the bed. i was screaming at him for help and he of course couldn't hear me. i started flailing and eventually it snapped me out of it and i fell back down into my body. it wasn't pleasant, i was scared and had no idea what happened. twice more that night it happened but with a loud PING or like a guitar string pluck i flew out again. i held on to my partner's arm after that hoping it would anchor me to the bed.

the next day i read all about astral projection and OBE's. naturally, i'm a very sensitive person and i've always remembered very clear dreams. my mom thinks i have some psychic ability, not sure if this is a factor.

i am here today as last night when i was having difficulty falling back asleep (sunday again) i felt those vibrations that i felt before the last time i flew out so bad that my bed was shaking. i kicked my leg to snap out of it and it happened a few more times before i woke my husband up to put his arm on me. no idea if that actually stops anything but the vibrating stopped.

is there a way to stop this or perhaps control it a bit more? i'm interested in this type of thing but not sure how it just sporadically happened to me. after reading about it i guess some people would welcome this experience but for now it's a little stressful.

thanks. i'm happy to answer questions or chat

Hi dizzygillespie. I think you have a gift and I'd be happy to have that happen.
Here is a link to my dream journal if you want to know what I am up to in the dream world! :)
https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/

baccuss123

Postby baccuss123 » 05 Jun 2018 10:42

That is a classic astral experience.

Go get robert monroes book "out of the body"

He goes over what you are experiencing in detail.

Feel free to ask questions!

Cheers and welcome to the world!

goldenrose

Postby goldenrose » 07 Jun 2018 06:52

Welcome! I do second what Petal has told you - this is a lucid dreaming forum and you will be given all of those arguments on the subject of OBEs if you care to strike up that conversation. If you are looking for more information on the subject of astral experiences, I'd definitely check out Robert Bruce's book Astral Dynamics, which goes into depth about the subject. If you'd like this to stop, then maybe check out the sleep issues sub forum.

No matter what you decide to do with these odd experiences, I hope you enjoy your time here! There are many interesting perspectives on this forum and I wish you the best :D
Darkness is always held up by the light.

dizzygillespie

Postby dizzygillespie » 11 Jun 2018 18:52

baccuss123 wrote:That is a classic astral experience.

Go get robert monroes book "out of the body"

He goes over what you are experiencing in detail.

Feel free to ask questions!

Cheers and welcome to the world!

thank you! I will check out the book.

dizzygillespie

Postby dizzygillespie » 11 Jun 2018 18:54

LDer Charles wrote:
Hi dizzygillespie. I think you have a gift and I'd be happy to have that happen.

thanks, it's kind of crazy but after reading more i'm going to try to make it a positive experience. it hasn't happened for a few weeks. not sure if it's related, but the first time it happened was a few weeks before my wedding.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”