Kurdistan

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Summerlander

Kurdistan

Postby Summerlander » 31 May 2018 19:48

In shaping the Middle East during its colonialist days, Britain made promises to the Kurdish people that it has not kept---like helping to officially establish Kurdistan as a free state. These are the people helping our soldiers to fight against Islamic insurgents in the Levant, mainly ISIS terrorists! Last year, or the year before, there was a news report about Kurds being mistaken for jihadists and attacked on British soil by ignorant citizens. It was disgraceful treatment of our allies who have fought alongside us for decades, and most conspicuously during the Gulf War and the recent rise of the Islamic State.

Journalist and author Christopher Hitchens said it well in a 1992 article for National Geographic:

'An experienced Kurd can tell his grandchildren of betrayal by colonial Britain and France, of promises made by Iran, Iraq, Syria, and Turkey to support the Kurds for as long as they were fighting only on the rival's territory, of interventions in Kurdistan by Israel to weaken Arab nationalist regimes, and of promises made by both cold war superpowers that turned out to be false.

'Ever since President Woodrow Wilson incorporated promises for Kurdish autonomy into his Fourteen Points following World War I, the Kurds have traditionally looked to the United States as their deliverer from old injustices. George Bush appeared to sympathise with their cause during Desert Storm, yet his subsequent lack of support has left them baffled. Western politicians seem unable to appreciate the depth of the Kurdish yearning for a homeland. I sat with Jalal Talabani, leader of the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan, at his guerrilla headquarters in northern Iraq. He was telling me about the city he was most fiercely contesting with Saddam Hussein. "Kirkuk," he declared, "is our Jerusalem." '
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

baccuss123

Re: Kurdistan

Postby baccuss123 » 05 Jun 2018 09:22

Are the modern kurds the same folks that fought Alexander the great in the same area? I know the Khyber pass has been fought over by most major empires for 3 thousand years.

Summerlander

Re: Kurdistan

Postby Summerlander » 05 Jun 2018 17:28

baccuss123 wrote:Are the modern kurds the same folks that fought Alexander the great in the same area? I know the Khyber pass has been fought over by most major empires for 3 thousand years.

Well, that's a bit of a silly question, isn't it? The Greek king lived a few centuries BC! Logically, modern Kurds are certainly not the same folks that fought against him.

Unless some of them are ... immortal. :mrgreen:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Off-Topic”