Your lucid dreaming practice routine?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
En3ermost

Your lucid dreaming practice routine?

Postby En3ermost » 27 Jun 2018 22:43

What do you do thoughout the day to keep up with your lucid dreaming exercises? Personally I write down the dreams I remember in the morning and do a reality check every time I wake up during the night in order to avoid false awakenings (which happens a lot to me). Then thoughout the day I do 3/4 reality checks every hour and I meditate 15 minutes before going to bed. Then I read my last 2 previous dreams and I sleep. During the night every time I wake up (I usually wake up 3/4 times during the night) I perform the MILD technique by repeating in my mind "I will be lucid in my next dream". Is this a good routine for keep practicing lucid dreaming or would you change something?

Yasha

Re: Your lucid dreaming practice routine?

Postby Yasha » 02 Jul 2018 09:02

I don't know if I am the right person to answer this. However, I am a lucid dreamer so I will chime in. You can take it or leave it.

Personally, I think you are overdoing it big time.

I don't know the techniques, per se. There are some things I do know, though.

I understand your willingness to become lucid, yet I believe you are trying too hard.

Writing down your dreams is great, for remembering them. Not for becoming lucid, I dare say. When you are ready, you won't have to.

Reality checks are great within dreams, to distinguish and gain realization once you go lucid. Don't do it while awake, as much as you think they are helpful. That's beyond even experienced dreamers. Extra effort that doesn't really bring much to the table, so to say.

Once again, remembering your dreams is the key. Play them over and over in your mind.

Lastly, repeating "I will be lucid in my dream" is useless. Instead, after waking up (and trying to go back to sleep), replay your last dream at where you left off. Imagine how you would want it to continue, write your own script. Use your imagination vividly. Total body relaxatioin.

-----------

Once again, this is what works for me when I intend to go lucid, which is not all the time by all means. It can get quite tiring after having 3-4-5 lucid dreams in one night without wanting one.

Don't try so hard and it will happen. Imagination and relaxation are the key most of the times.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Solaris_142

Re: Your lucid dreaming practice routine?

Postby Solaris_142 » 10 Jul 2018 13:24

En3ermost wrote:What do you do thoughout the day to keep up with your lucid dreaming exercises? Personally I write down the dreams I remember in the morning and do a reality check every time I wake up during the night in order to avoid false awakenings (which happens a lot to me). Then thoughout the day I do 3/4 reality checks every hour and I meditate 15 minutes before going to bed. Then I read my last 2 previous dreams and I sleep. During the night every time I wake up (I usually wake up 3/4 times during the night) I perform the MILD technique by repeating in my mind "I will be lucid in my next dream". Is this a good routine for keep practicing lucid dreaming or would you change something?

I don't have any complex set routine. Other than trying to keep my mind focused and alert to the fact I could be dreaming at any time. And trying to be on the lookout for anything that may indicate that I am dreaming as much as possible. The more I'm thinking about it while awake, the more likely I will when asleep too. And doing wake back to beds.

I've been doing this for a long time and have had to bring myself back from many a difficult dry spell. Of course everyone is different but I disagree with much of what Yasha has said.

Firstly, at least for me. The more work I put into it the more lucids I start to induce. So I've never agreed with the concept of trying too hard or putting too much effort into it. At least in my experience the stronger the intent the greater the success. Though I will agree that sometimes you can put in an extended period of strong focus on it and then stop thinking about it for a day or two and that's when the lucid will happen. But that does not mean you should not be working at it. It was induced because of the work put into it. Sometimes it just takes a while to build up the momentum. Keep at it and they will gradually start happening more and more frequently.

Writing dreams down does help with lucidity because it helps greatly with recall. Helping to make the recall of your dreams more and more vivid. Which in turn of course helps with inducing lucdity. Though havinig said that as a teenager teaching myself to lucid dream I was too lazy to keep a journal and didn't even record my lucid dreams back then.(Regretfully.) I remember much but I know there is even more of them I have forgotten all about. But as a kid I didn't have to work at recall at all. I had intenesly vivid dreams all the time without effort of recalling them. Now days though if I'm not focused on dreaming I start losing recall.

Doing reality checks while awake is by no means a wasted effort. How are you going to expect yourself to make a habit of doing them in your dreams if you don't do it while awake? Though having said that I did first teach myself to lucid dream without them. By makeing the habit of questioning if I'm dreaming. I didn't actually start experimenting with reality checks (other than questioning reality) until 2007 when I first read about the nose pinch RC and was fascinated by the idea so I wanted to try it in a dream. It's not that often that I become lucid from completely random reality checks in dreams but it does occasionally happen. And I have had many a lucid dream that I would not have otherwise had if I had not had the presence of mind in the dream to do a reality check to prove it to myself. And on some humrous occasions doing them over and over again trying to prove it to myelf because of having such a hard time believing it lol.

It's good you RC first thing when waking up to try and catch yourself in false awakenings. Especially if you are having them a lot as you say.

Telling yourself that you will become lucid is not useless. Again. The more you think about it. The stronger the intent. The more chance of lucidity. Just because you tell yourself and think about it and you go to sleep and it does not happen does not mean that you should not keep doing it and that it does not work. It just takes time and patience and persistence. It will happen as long as you keep working at it.

I do agree that going over your most recent dreams in your mind greatly helps. Both with recall and with lucidity. As Yasha stated and as you visualize it, in the replay, you can also re-write it. Imagine yourself noticing something that was odd in the dream as a dreamsign and then becoming luicd because of it. And imgaine what you might have done differently in the dream at that point had you become lucid. It's a good way to train yourself to remember to notice things in your dreams.

It is also a good visualization to do in waking life too when you do a reality check. Even while awake. You can play out the fantasy of what would you do right now if you suddenly realized that you were in a dream at that moment. Look around you and imagine what you might do at that moment if you knew this was a dream right now. When I do this I often look around at the buildings and imgine myself leaping to the roof top of one of them to get a better view of everything. That is when I'm outside of course and think about it.
Previously known in other dreaming communities as Caradon.

Return to “For Beginners”