Forgetting Dreams with an Alarm Clock

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Nocturnal

Forgetting Dreams with an Alarm Clock

Postby Nocturnal » 03 Jan 2012 20:08

I've noticed that when an alarm clock 'sharply' wakes me up and gets my out of bed, I often instantly forget my dreams. However, if I naturally wake up (on weekends, etc) without an alarm clock, I can easily remember everything!

Is there a trick to remembering dreams knowing there will be an alarm clock?

lucidinthe sky

Re: Forgetting Dreams with an Alarm Clock

Postby lucidinthe sky » 03 Jan 2012 20:26

The trick is to know exactly when the REM cycle is completed and set your alarm clock for that time. That's when you are most likely to remember. If you are waking up naturally at the right time, then your natural wake up time is probably in sync already and you would have to go one cycle earlier. I think REM cycles are 90 minutes long, but check this as I am not 100% sure. Of course you have to know when you fall asleep, etc...
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Nocturnal

Postby Nocturnal » 03 Jan 2012 20:32

Thank you for that information! How can you accurately predict when your REM cycle is complete?

Also, what if it is not possible to reset your alarm clock (due to a job or school or whatever)

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 03 Jan 2012 22:11

I don't know how to predict the exact times, but you can train yourself to wake up and remember your dreams. If you can't change the wake time, you have to work on when you go to sleep and play around with that. I think you should just do it by trial and error and you'll get it right.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”