i NEED help! :(

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
James

i NEED help! :(

Postby James » 22 Jan 2012 14:45

I was really excited about lucid dreaming when I found it out, but after about a week of failing I nearly gave up, and I'm glad I didn't!

A few weeks ago I had my first lucid dreams and I was like WOW!. I had about 5 but all of a sudden i stopped having them and I haven't had one for, well, a few weeks. I could do it so easily and now I can't, why?

do I have to pretend I'm a complete beginner and do it all again? (Ive got good dream recall though from a good memory (about 3 dreams per night))

:(
Was it worth it?

lucidinthe sky

Re: i NEED help! :(

Postby lucidinthe sky » 22 Jan 2012 16:35

I think this is very common, I'm having the same problem right now. I put a tremendous amount of energy and effort into it at the beginning, then after a string of successes I figured I'd learned how to do it so I wouldn't have to work as hard. I am still trying, but was unwilling to maintain that level of effort. I think it's like the pendulum, you have to find a happy medium where you're putting an amount of effort into it that is sustainable over the long term. Maybe you won't 2 or 3 Lds per week, but will gradually increase them over time. I think for most people it takes quite a while to get consistant lucid dreams. Having those initial successes makes you feel that you are there, but it takes time. I'm going to start working harder at it again and try to find that balance.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

James

Postby James » 22 Jan 2012 17:24

but i havent changed anything, even my effort!
Was it worth it?

Mayazcherquoi

Postby Mayazcherquoi » 23 Jan 2012 11:40

Jam es wrote:but i havent changed anything, even my effort!

Do you regularly do reality checks throughout the day? Do you remember your dreams in detail? If so, do you remember to do reality checks in your dream, but just aren't triggering a lucid state?

You are, as the second poster suggested, probably just being lazy (albeit unintentionally). Just don't worry about it (clear your mind from concerns about not being able to lucid dream again) and don't give up or have a low self esteem! (<- important).

Regards,
Daniel. :)

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 23 Jan 2012 11:59

Jam es this is normal variance (the term used for it in poker). You'll feel like a pro when you're running hot and then when you're not wonder if you can play at all. concentrate on improving your talent not on results- fortuna is in the hands of the gods of chance, virtu is the only thing you control and results will almost always be determined by both. In poker one has not payed ones dues until having a 100,000 hand losing streak as a winning player-beginners never realize just how much variance there really is in poker or anything else.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

James

Postby James » 23 Jan 2012 17:49

thanks both of you, i'll take it in.
but yeh i see your point im being unintentionally lazy...
i still REALLY want to do it, but i jut dont have that excitement i did a while ago. any ideas on how to boost that?
Was it worth it?

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 24 Jan 2012 00:54

I just broke my dry spell this morning. 3 weeks with no significant LD. Funny though that I got too excited like the first time and it only lasted around 30 seconds. I was starting to wonder whether I would ever have another. So don't give up, it will happen. I think the biggest hurdle is having the first one.

I was starting to get upset because I wasn't having an LD and I felt as you do that I was doing everything the same, so why no LD? But while I was still doing what is recommended to have LDs, I didn't have the same drive, determination and will to do it. I was mainly going through the motions and it wasn't enough.

What made it happen was I had to get back to my original focus and intention that I was going to have one. Tell myself that I was going to have one and believe it. I had also stopped doing that montra: "The next time I am dreaming, I will realize that I'm dreaming" so I started doing that again and also adding things like "the next time I am walking I will be in dream, the next time I am driving I will be in a dream, the next person I meet will be a dream character" etc.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 24 Jan 2012 04:26

Don't feel bad. I started school for this year a couple Of moths ago and have not gotten A single good ld so far. I guess its the lack of sleep.
Lucid Dream Count: 10
Normal Dream Count: 100+
Goal for next LD: Think with portals.

Return to “For Beginners”